Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2017, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #286
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think you have a misconception of how this works.
1) Corporate hires an intern because somebody's cousin needs a summer job.
2) Intern gets assigned to a manager who has no time to train them or bother with them.
3) Intern whines to his cousin he is getting no assignments that will look good on his resume.
4) Manager gets a memo he should be making use of the "talented young intern" assigned to him.
5) Manager tells intern he is getting the important assignment of running a survey that will "help steer the future direction of the company".
6) Intern has no clue what the company even does much less how to survey their customers.
7) Intern asks the cute girl at the reception desk who has heard of Survey Monkey.
8) Intern spends next two months working on a Survey Monkey survey. Actually about 1 hour on the survey and the rest of the time hitting on the cute girl at the reception desk.
9) Manager vaguely remembers assigning a project to an intern and requests an update.
10) Intern reports survey is "ready to go".
11) Survey is sent out and resulting Survey Monkey report delivered to Manager.
12) Manager gives intern a "well done", fills out the internship evaluation with a glowing report and reports to higher that the "talented young intern" has made a significant contribution to the company.
13) Survey is tossed in the trash.

What? Is that all? What about the cute girl at the reception? I thought this was a love story....

The climax of this story sucks......

14) "Talented young intern" run into cute girl at the reception in town.
15) Cute reception girl asks "talented young intern" about the survey that he was working on.

......You can continue from here. you are the story teller

Culture.

07-12-2017, 11:58 PM   #287
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
I heard that Ricoh admitted that the K-3 line is over so there will not be K-3 III. In my opinion they are working on a higher-end model with a new designation.
Well, the K-3II body design is still an evolution of the K-7 that was introduced over 8 years ago in May 2009. Perhaps it might look a bit dated to newcomers to the brand?

Wim
07-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #288

I hope the new designation is S for sport/speed :-)
07-13-2017, 01:21 AM   #289
Pentaxian

there will not be K-3 III.
Probably K-2

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Perhaps it might look a bit dated to newcomers to the brand?
Look at Canon They hardly change anything. I'd like Ricoh to get rid of the headphone hump. The K-5 body is fine. The new body will probably have a tilting screen and look like the K-1 on top with extra dial and smaller top lcd.

QuoteOriginally posted by mille19 Quote
I hope not, it's a camera not a car.

07-13-2017, 01:27 AM   #290
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
...we are up to K1,whats next?
Actually camera name is K-1 not K1.
What is next?
Hmm...
K+1 maybe?
07-13-2017, 03:00 AM   #291
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the sequel will probably be named K-02...
07-13-2017, 03:11 AM   #292
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mille19 Quote
So KP is for portrait, then?

07-13-2017, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #293
Veteran Member

I guess we are rather hamstrung on this forum because we have little or no feedback from Japan where Pentax earn the bulk of their revenues. It would stand to reason that decisions on new cameras would be heavily influenced by trends in the Japanese market. I certainly don't know what those are. Does anyone here?

Pentax will surely be issuing new cameras before very long because that's how they earn their money. No new cameras eventually means no new revenue. For myself, I don't see why issuing a "K3 Mark III" has to be all that important. Time and technology move on and we shouldn't keep expecting the same thing. Pentax might issue a new camera which definitely isn't a K3 Mark iII but which on its own terms is in fact far superior and a better prospect for the camera trends of today rather than of a few years ago. It also needs to be a good fit for what Pentax do, so an "AF killer" predicated on a vast array of fast modern lenses, many telephoto, probably isn't on the cards. Canon and NIkon do that but Pentax don't. It's not what they are about, I would say. Keep an open mind.
07-13-2017, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #294
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has never given much advance warning with regard to camera bodies. They do usually have a lens road map, but even there, there have often been lenses that weren't on the road map until they magically appeared.

I have always thought that it was for two reasons -- first of all, not to give competitors any advantage, but second (and probably more important), not to pain themselves into a box. If camera markets suddenly implode and there is a return of a world wide recession, whatever plans they have currently would likely be put on hold until the market improved. Since we don't officially know anything, there would be no problems there.

Regardless, Pentax has given strong indication that they are continuing to work on everything to make each camera a better still performer (although not video performer). That includes high iso performance, dynamic range, and auto focus performance. How well they can achieve each of those things is uncertain, but it is clear that that is their goal, and the improvements will be incremental from camera body to camera body.
07-13-2017, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #295
Pentaxian

Another, maybe most important reason for the lack of camera roadmaps might be avoiding an Osborne effect. They don't want us to stop buying and wait for a camera which is more than 6 months away.
This works for some lenses, too - those who are replacements for existing products. That explains the "no warning" announcement of the HD DA Limiteds; maybe the PLM RE, too.

Roadmaps, IMO, are not meant to keep us up to date with their current plans. Instead, they should give us confidence in the brand, in its continuous development; they should tell us the corresponding system is developing in a suitable direction.
They're meant to keep us happy and spending, not waiting for future products.

Last edited by Kunzite; 07-13-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: "to keep US up to date"
07-13-2017, 06:44 AM   #296
Pentaxian

I heard that Ricoh admitted that the K-3 line is over so there will not be K-3 III. In my opinion they are working on a higher-end model with a new designation.
If this new designation provides much improved AF performance, I'll be all over it. I don't care what they call it as long as it takes all the recent improvements & has a much better AF module.
07-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #297
Pentaxian

To grow user base.. Getting Canikon users, they need to improve AF. It is the one item that keeps them from switching.
07-13-2017, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
It is the one item that keeps them from switching.
I think other plausible reasons would be:

- 'loyalty' to their current brand and long history of current brand ownership
- current brand/camera provides acceptable performance level
- ownership of a number of lenses in their current brand
- interest in mirrorless options
- lack of awareness of the contemporary Pentax brand
- lack of awareness of the current Pentax cameras
07-13-2017, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #299
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Roadmaps, IMO, are not meant to keep up to date with their current plans. Instead, they should give us confidence in the brand, in its continuous development; they should tell us the corresponding system is developing in a suitable direction.
They're meant to keep us happy and spending, not waiting for future products.

If that was true, then they would not be called 'roadmaps.' Instead, they would be called 'roadwishfulthinkingguides.'

The very definition of a road map is a plan. Otherwise it is in fact a lie perpetuated to keep us buying. Because, if they are not intent on producing the products shown on the map they are indeed lying to the public.

Only an accurate plan gives customers confidence in a brand. Actually, if it was inaccurate information posed as accurate information that would eventually have the opposite effect -- give customers doubt in a brand.

I mean they are announcing not-yet released products on a timeline, so the very nature of the roadmap IS to get us to wait for future products; If they didn't want us to wait for future products, they wouldn't be showing us future products.
07-13-2017, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #300
Pentaxian

I believe it is true, it's still a public roadmap and not a 'whateveryoucalledit', and I don't get why you feel to express yourself so strongly.

A roadmap is a plan, we agree on that. The rest of it, you're arguing against the exact opposite of what I'm writing.
What is the purpose of publishing a roadmap? Not to make us wait for future products, instead of buying the current ones; not to create an Osborne effect. Neither is it as a binding contract, followed to the letter, giving away all their plans. As I said, it's to give us confidence in the brands' development.
That, of course, is done by being truthful; I'm amazed how you could think otherwise (is trust gained by lying? I don't think so!).

So, the D FA lens roadmap is meant to tell us they indeed are planning to launch certain much needed lenses (primes, and not only) instead of letting us guess. That's confidence building.
Closed Thread