Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 297 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2017, 08:37 PM   #451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I actually do own a MILC

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, you are ignoring all the knobs, buttons, and virtual controls you could choose to operate.
Choose ISO setting
Choose mode
Choose shutter speed / aperture
etc
etc
etc
Love my K-01. I use it for eBay listing photos.... Sits in luggage (body) as a last chance backup. A little blocky, but so were Marc Newsom Ikepod watches....Cell Phone for concerts (Hassy attachment is great), else DSLR or 5.2K Video (VILC). If I need to adjust ISO, Mode, F Stop or Speed? DSLR so I can see what I get....

I used to enjoy my Minox Baubles, but manual range focusing was a drag.... If they reissued the K-01 in 24MP or FF? I'd buy one when it dropped to $250 like the K-01. I am waiting for the 30MP APSc killer K-"Whatever"...

07-18-2017, 01:43 AM   #452
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
All this talks about coming up with a mirrorless system actually makes me remember Olympus. Olympus said that they were committed to 4/3 and as a matter of fact, I posted the link in fourthirds-user.com. I was quite happy when I read it. Well, the message wasn't clear and I misunderstood it. Later when the EM-1 came out, it became clear. We will give you the EM-1 whereby you can use your 4/3 lenses smoothly. However, 4/3 is dead. It will m4/3 from now on. What a solution. It will cost me an arm and a leg to get an EM-1 and that made me shift.

I'm not a Pentax fanboy and I only joined Pentax sometime 2013 or 2014. I never had any experience with Pentax cameras during the film days. I had my own reason for choosing Pentax and I believe my choice is right for me and I have no regrets. But like I've always wished, if Pentax is going mirrorless, I hope that I can still use my lenses and grow into the system.
The classic conflict. The interest of the individual is that nothing changes. The interest of the company is that everything changes. Olympus were facing closure so they had to change. Many comments on here (not your comment) seem to be from people who know deep down that Pentax is going to change (together with every single other camera company) but who don't want that to happen till they are done and dusted with enough kit to see them out. It's a completely understandable wish but alas companies don't work like that ... When it comes to really solid, long-term, sensibly specced FF DSLRs I think Canon are showing the way. The 6D Mark II looks as if it will remain in use for years and sell in huge quantities for a camera of this class. It's backed by the best lens catalogue in the DSLR business, hint, hint. Canon's mirrorless cameras are the perfect complement for lighter duties, fun, emergency back-up, etc but can still deliver pro-level results because the sensor is sufficiently capable. There's no conflict, just both options at once in the same bag and Canon's own adapter means that big glass can be used if desired (but you don't have to). This is the direction in which I hope Pentax will go even if they have to find a new partner to do so. I see it as a win-win. The either/or viewpoint with mirrorless is mistaken. It's both together.
07-18-2017, 03:00 AM   #453
Pentaxian

Let's not make up imaginary conflicts between a brand and its user base.
Many of us followed, even encouraged Pentax to change - from film to digital, APS-C DSLRs, FF. We will encourage Pentax - with our own money - to make a K-3 II successor, too. We will make possible to introduce and build a mirrorless system, too, by buying K-mount products; of course, a mirrorless system takes years to become self-sustainable (if it ever will).

There are people who gave up on Pentax, going mirrorless - and want the brand to follow. But, here's the trick: they already have their mirrorless, they would not buy a Pentax MILC.
Taking care of the user base, of their buyers as a priority is a much more sensible approach.
07-18-2017, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #454
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
The classic conflict. The interest of the individual is that nothing changes. The interest of the company is that everything changes. Olympus were facing closure so they had to change. Many comments on here (not your comment) seem to be from people who know deep down that Pentax is going to change (together with every single other camera company) but who don't want that to happen till they are done and dusted with enough kit to see them out. It's a completely understandable wish but alas companies don't work like that ... When it comes to really solid, long-term, sensibly specced FF DSLRs I think Canon are showing the way. The 6D Mark II looks as if it will remain in use for years and sell in huge quantities for a camera of this class. It's backed by the best lens catalogue in the DSLR business, hint, hint. Canon's mirrorless cameras are the perfect complement for lighter duties, fun, emergency back-up, etc but can still deliver pro-level results because the sensor is sufficiently capable. There's no conflict, just both options at once in the same bag and Canon's own adapter means that big glass can be used if desired (but you don't have to). This is the direction in which I hope Pentax will go even if they have to find a new partner to do so. I see it as a win-win. The either/or viewpoint with mirrorless is mistaken. It's both together.
I think the biggest thing with Pentax is that at their current rate of development it would take about 15 years to see a full line up of lenses for a new mount. Canon's lenses all have focus motors and so their adapter situation is a little different. The majority of Pentax's primes don't meaning that they would have to create an adapter with a focus motor in it to use k mount lenses as well as on th e k mount cameras. The adapter is stop gap only. Eventually you have to have lenses for the new mount.

I could be wrong, I just would feel a lot better if Pentax had released more glass for the K-1 already. It has been on the market for over a year and we still just have the lenses that were available at the time of its release -- two of which are actually Tamron lenses. It doesn't make me optimistic that they could handle designing a bunch of lenses for a whole new lens mount.

07-18-2017, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #455
Pentaxian

A quick way for Ricoh Imaging to launch a Pentax-branded mirrorless camera whilst benefiting from a bunch of lenses from day one: conclude an agreement with Sigma as follows:

- Ricoh Imaging launch a K mount version of the Sigma SD Quattro mirrorless cameras (current APS-C and APS-H (*) and future 24x36 cameras) under the Pentax brand name, allowing Sigma to better recoup the development costs of their Foveon sensor
- in return, Sigma issue all their Global Vision lenses in K mount.

(*) Hi, Ron!
07-18-2017, 03:31 AM   #456
Pentaxian

That would be indeed nice move
07-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #457
Pentaxian

Except that it's a solution for the wrong problem
The issue here is not the camera, which isn't more difficult to do than a DSLR (except for having to solve a few things about viewfinders, videos and whatever's expected from a MILC). Pentax could "easily" make another K-mount MILC, and that means better than the rudimentary Sigmas.

07-18-2017, 05:19 AM   #458
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Pentax could "easily" make another K-mount MILC,
Considering the K-1 is the entry level FF,a field camera,as its been described.It would be a good idea for RI to bring a FF mirrorless to market.

A camera that isn't anything like what the K-1 is, but something with fast AF tracking,4K video and of course a HYBRID viewfinder!(so theres no sore eyes).

By the time of release(2019) the lense lineup might include DFA primes 20/35/50/85/100/135( AW and WR of course.)

Cost probably U$ 3000ish, putting it up there to compete with CaNikony,quality and pricewise.....

WHO would buy it?
07-18-2017, 06:05 AM   #459
Pentaxian

It would be a good idea to bring a camera system to market, without an user base to support it? Who would pay for it?
Not me; I'd rather pay for K-mount development.
07-18-2017, 06:07 AM - 2 Likes   #460
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
A quick way for Ricoh Imaging to launch a Pentax-branded mirrorless camera whilst benefiting from a bunch of lenses from day one: conclude an agreement with Sigma as follows:

- Ricoh Imaging launch a K mount version of the Sigma SD Quattro mirrorless cameras (current APS-C and APS-H (*) and future 24x36 cameras) under the Pentax brand name, allowing Sigma to better recoup the development costs of their Foveon sensor

(*) Hi, Ron!
I think k mount mirrorless is an answer to a question that hasn't been asked for awhile. At this point, other than the appeal of EVFs, the biggest appeal of mirrorless seems to be split between slightly smaller size (not actually a huge difference once you mount a lens, but still) and the ability to mount nearly any lens with an adapter. By keeping the k mount, you decrease the size difference (probably couldn't make it smaller than a KS-1 or kx) and make it so you can pretty much only mount k mount lenses. Which begs the question, what's the point?
07-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #461
Banned

(*) Hi, Ron!

Well I would use a sensor with normal Bayer color. Then again aps-h sounds about the right size. The thing is that the mount of sigma is as deep as k-mount is, so why not use k-mount instead?
07-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #462
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GlassJunkie Quote
Point & Shoot for me... Point and Shoot, no operator intervention required. Kodak Brownies, Kodak Instamatics, most Lumix and Canon "pocket rockets", most any camera with facial recognition for subjects, Sony MILCs, particularly A7s and A9. Nothing wrong with any, but built so any novice can get 1;100 and think they are the next Ansel Adams or Moose...
By that definition, any modern DSLR is a P&S.
07-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #463
Pentaxian

(*) Hi, Ron!
That is humor, isn't it?
07-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #464
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That is humor, isn't it?
It's definitely no insider information .
07-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #465
Pentaxian

It's definitely no insider information .
Clearly but a lot of FUD spreaders do so too
Maybe you were in a 'Ron moment' of some sort.
Closed Thread