Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #616
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I'm curious: what's everyone's plan if there is no follow-on to the current K3 this year? Or next year? How long would everyone wait before concluding that there will likely be no follow-on?
I've been saying for some time now that DSLR's forced us into viewing cameras differently. One SLR could be almost anything you wanted, depending on what film you loaded and whether you added a motor drive, but the sensor and hardware/software providing burst mode are built into a DSLR. Looking at the K-1 and the D850, that may be changing again. By providing a robust crop-mode, these cameras are becoming attractive to users of upper-tier crop-mode cameras.Ricoh may not feel they have the resources to provide the AF that some want from a "flagship" APS-C camera, and if that is the case, then a lineup of K-S2, K-70, KP, and K-1 may be complete for now. This thread started looking forward to CP+ 2017; I would not be surprised if Pentax announces no more bodies before the run-up to CP+ 2018.

08-28-2017, 04:59 AM   #617
Veteran Member

I'm curious: what's everyone's plan if there is no follow-on to the current K3 this year? Or next year? How long would everyone wait before concluding that there will likely be no follow-on?
If no K3 III, I would buy K1 or K1 II if there is any

---------- Post added 08-28-2017 at 02:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I've been saying for some time now that DSLR's forced us into viewing cameras differently. One SLR could be almost anything you wanted, depending on what film you loaded and whether you added a motor drive, but the sensor and hardware/software providing burst mode are built into a DSLR. Looking at the K-1 and the D850, that may be changing again. By providing a robust crop-mode, these cameras are becoming attractive to users of upper-tier crop-mode cameras.Ricoh may not feel they have the resources to provide the AF that some want from a "flagship" APS-C camera, and if that is the case, then a lineup of K-S2, K-70, KP, and K-1 may be complete for now. This thread started looking forward to CP+ 2017; I would not be surprised if Pentax announces no more bodies before the run-up to CP+ 2018.
If there is an announcement at CP+ 2018, it means body's availability maybe in May or June 2018. Almost one more year of waiting
08-28-2017, 05:13 AM - 7 Likes   #618
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am sorry, but I do not understand this constant complaining about waiting for some new model. Manufacturers offer equipment for sale. It they have what I need I buy it and use it. I need to take photographs now so I use what I have or can obtain and do not worry about what may be coming. If something more useful appears I might buy it but since none of this equipment is necessary and because we have an unbelievable depth of selection in photography equipment it is just silly to worry about what may appear in a few months or years. Adam should rename this section Whiners Corner since there is very little news and no rumors right now.
08-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #619
Pentaxian

I'm waiting until December 2018. Ricoh will either release it before then, by then, or not release it at all. I guess we'll see what happens.

As for now, I'll keep using my K-50 bodies & lenses until they die. I already replaced the aperture motor in one of them.

08-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #620
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
With a K-1, KP, K-01 and a dozen film cameras I'm good until I die.
Have you compared a K-1 in crop mode to a KP? If the K-1 is better, that could explain the lack of a K-3iii.

I started down that line of thought because of several comments at a more general discussion forum. Several Nikon users were speculating that the D850 might be good enough in crop mode to undercut the D500.
08-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #621
mee
Veteran Member

Have you compared a K-1 in crop mode to a KP? If the K-1 is better, that could explain the lack of a K-3iii.

I started down that line of thought because of several comments at a more general discussion forum. Several Nikon users were speculating that the D850 might be good enough in crop mode to undercut the D500.
Crop mode in the K-1 is 15 MP and blacks out part of the viewfinder. A dedicated crop body is highly recommended as a result. Not to mention the potentially reduced size and weight of the crop body..

I bought the K-1 with the idea that I'd use it in crop mode while I wait for FF lenses to show up.. but I find using only a portion of the viewfinder a bit annoying and the resolution is slightly less than my K-5 II. So there really isn't much point.

I'd still buy a D500 if I wanted a sports crop Nikon body. Even if I owned a D850 for the reasons I just mentioned.
08-30-2017, 02:35 AM   #622
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I am sorry, but I do not understand this constant complaining about waiting for some new model. Manufacturers offer equipment for sale. It they have what I need I buy it and use it. I need to take photographs now so I use what I have or can obtain and do not worry about what may be coming. If something more useful appears I might buy it but since none of this equipment is necessary and because we have an unbelievable depth of selection in photography equipment it is just silly to worry about what may appear in a few months or years. Adam should rename this section Whiners Corner since there is very little news and no rumors right now.
Very nicely stated Mike.

08-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #623
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have not because my original plan was to sell the DA's and use K-1 with my FA Limiteds and legacy manual lenses. Then I was offered a great price on a KP by a seller who experienced buyer's remorse. K-1 could be my FF camera and K-01 my APSc with the K-5 sensor, but KP is faster, should be better at high ISO and is a bit smaller than K-01- and has a viewfinder. K-01 is my video camera.
08-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #624
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
... KP ... is a bit smaller than K-01.
Hmmmm, no (and K-01 weights 20% less than KP). Only the K-S1 comes close.
08-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #625
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Hmmmm, no (and K-01 weights 20% less than KP). Only the K-S1 comes close.
Sure feels smaller.
08-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #626
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Yes you are correct, complaining resolves nothing and telling people to get a camera that suits there needs is also good advice. But I dont want them to because I like Pentax camera's. If everyone that was disipointed with Pentax not bringing out a true K-3 replacement went and bought a d7200/d500/7Dm2 etc etc. Pentax would be *&^%ed. We are all investers in Pentax and when investers get nervous they get out and buy something else, this isnt good for pentax and therefor not good for me. I was buying a new camera about every two years but its been amlost 4 years now since I got the K-3 which still works, but the next camera I spend my money on will have a much better autofocus system, and less blackout time than the K-3 I have now, Full Frame or Crop. I love the build quality, ergonomics and other features of the K-3, I really hope mine keeps working.
08-30-2017, 01:03 PM   #627

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I was buying a new camera about every two years but its been amlost 4 years now since I got the K-3 which still works, but the next camera I spend my money on will have a much better autofocus system, and less blackout time than the K-3 I have now, Full Frame or Crop. I love the build quality, ergonomics and other features of the K-3, I really hope mine keeps working.
Sounds like you're thinking the same as me. I got the K3 when it was first released and have been hoping for a replacement for the last 12 months....... hurry up Pentax/Ricoh I've got money burning a hole in my pocket
08-30-2017, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #628
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From K-5 to K-5II = 23 months
From K-5II to K-3 = 13 months
From K-3 to K-3II = 18 months
From K-3II to ??? = 28 months and counting

Longer than normal but not unreasonable considering they launched the K-1, K-70 and KP in that time. I also think that model cycle times are going to continue to stretch as the technology matures. New camera every two years was fun while it lasted but these days I am thinking new camera every 4 to 5 years. Change in technology has slowed and in general the quality of the gear is such that it should easily last that long. So the model cycle for a high end camera might now be 3 years.

My K-3II, though now my backup, is still better than I am as a photographer. I can imagine there are those who are so much better than I that can take advantage of things a newer camera might have. But if I cannot get a good image with my K-3II I suspect that is my fault not the camera's.
08-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #629
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
From K-5 to K-5II = 23 months
From K-5II to K-3 = 13 months
From K-3 to K-3II = 18 months
From K-3II to ??? = 28 months and counting

Longer than normal but not unreasonable considering they launched the K-1, K-70 and KP in that time. I also think that model cycle times are going to continue to stretch as the technology matures. New camera every two years was fun while it lasted but these days I am thinking new camera every 4 to 5 years. Change in technology has slowed and in general the quality of the gear is such that it should easily last that long. So the model cycle for a high end camera might now be 3 years.

My K-3II, though now my backup, is still better than I am as a photographer. I can imagine there are those who are so much better than I that can take advantage of things a newer camera might have. But if I cannot get a good image with my K-3II I suspect that is my fault not the camera's.
Nikon had roughly 36 months between the D800 and the D810, and then roughly 36 months to the D850; they also had over 100 months between the D300 and D500, so a long period between high-end products is already not unreasonable.
08-30-2017, 07:46 PM   #630
mee
Veteran Member

Nikon had roughly 36 months between the D800 and the D810, and then roughly 36 months to the D850; they also had over 100 months between the D300 and D500, so a long period between high-end products is already not unreasonable.
I agree with you both. However, for Nikon's case, you are looking at higher end bodies in their lineup. Those naturally are going to have longer time frames on the market.

Look more at the D5_00 or D7_00 and it looks a lot more like the K-_ series in terms of launch times.. and those series are more comparable in terms of sensor, features, and price.

Still not unreasonable imo, provided we see a K-3 II successor within the next 1-4 months. We still have Photo Plus Expo and Salon de la Photo if they want to show anything off at a trade show this year. RI is scheduled at the least at PPE this October. Even if it is just a 3d plastic model in a glass case and the actual product launches in the Spring.
Closed Thread