Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2017, 07:22 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-3ii marked as discontinued

Digicams-info is running a story that the K-3ii is now marked as discontinued on Yodobashi Camera's website. Since Yodobashi is normally a very reliable retailer, this seems to have some legitimacy.

PENTAX K-3 II ?????? - ????info

It should be noted that it is still listed as a current camera on Ricoh's own web page for now.

01-10-2017, 07:32 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Which definition of "discontinued" is this?

"Discontinued" as in Yodobashi no longer carries the camera in inventory
"Discontinued" as in Yodobashi will no longer special order the camera for customers
"Discontinued" as in Pentax refuses to sell to Yodobashi over some business dispute
"Discontinued" as in Pentax has no inventory of K3ii and has stopped making the K3ii
01-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't believe it's discontinued. The K-3, for sure, but the K-3II is Ricoh's APS-C Pentax "flagship". They wouldn't discontinue it when no replacement has been announced and there are so many in stock at authorised dealers...
01-10-2017, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

I just went and had a look - it is indeed listed as 'hanbai shuryo', which does mean that the sale of the K-3ii has ceased on Yodobashi's site - it is not just out of stock, they have stopped selling it. I also went to look on the website of Bic Camera, another big Japanese electronics retailer, and they only list the K-S2, K-70 and K-1 - no K3 variations at all. This is certainly intriguing. If I have time at the weekend I may pop down to Nagoya's Yodobashi and see if I can tease anything out of the Ricoh/Pentax rep there.

01-10-2017, 07:42 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Well, we have been waiting for a K3/K3 II replacement fro some time now, and CP+ is around the corner.
01-10-2017, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #6
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Here is a translation by me. I'm pretty sure it's accurate to what the article says.

---------------

I have received information from one of our readers about the Pentax K-3ii being discontinued.

When seeing that the K-3ii had disappeared from display at a Yodobashi store, the reader asked the shop staff to check with the maker. They were told it had been discontinued (even though it is still on the maker’s homepage)

The K-3ii is still listed on the official site and is still in stock at many retailers, but when checking on the Yodobashi net shop, it is listed as discontinued (literally “sales concluded”), so it does not appear to be a mistake.

Considering the K-3 series model change cycle, it would not be strange to see the appear of a successor model around now. I would expect to see a release in the near future.

With gratitude to the person who shared this information.

----------------

Yodobashi is a very high volume retailer. They are often the first retailer to run out of stock. It happened with the K-5 in 2012 as well Yodobashi ran out first then other retailers and there was a period of a few months from spring until the K-5ii came out at Photokina when the only Pentax you could get was the K-r.

I think this is probably the first indication, but as the article states, it is still available at almost all other retailers, and probably in some branches of Yodobashi as well.

Last edited by JPT; 01-10-2017 at 07:55 AM.
01-10-2017, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
mee
Veteran Member

Yassss!

01-10-2017, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #8
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's logical. CP+2017 is close.
01-10-2017, 08:04 AM   #9

Ricoh tend to realease press realeses on Thursdays so....
01-10-2017, 08:15 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Which definition of "discontinued" is this?

"Discontinued" as in Yodobashi no longer carries the camera in inventory
"Discontinued" as in Yodobashi will no longer special order the camera for customers
"Discontinued" as in Pentax refuses to sell to Yodobashi over some business dispute
"Discontinued" as in Pentax has no inventory of K3ii and has stopped making the K3ii
If this were B&H, it would mean, "Pentax distributor has not fulfilled our order"...

Steve
01-10-2017, 08:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

And what if.....

[Same as Q story]

01-10-2017, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Even though it is a good sign that Pentax may release a new flagship in the near future, I just bought a K-3II last June. It is unlikely that I will jump on this new model but certainly intrigue by what NEW features this body will bring. My plan for this year is new lens, not new camera body. But like most plans, it will be changed.
01-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Hmm... perhaps the K-3 III will be so good, that very few would still want the K-3 II.
Or perhaps it's a mistake, and the K-3 II isn't actually discontinued
01-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hmm... perhaps the K-3 III will be so good, that very few would still want the K-3 II.
Or perhaps it's a mistake, and the K-3 II isn't actually discontinued
Ernest's Family Album Comedy Special - YouTube "Ah, it's nothing!"
01-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh ye of little faith . . .
Closed Thread