Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2017, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #421
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I think Ricoh-Pentax should learn from this.
People who search out camera reviews online are doing so to reinforce their existing opinions. To get viewers, those reviews are deliberately slanted to those preconceived opinions, there is no such thing as an objective review. Anyone and their dog can produce a YouTube review, all they need is something new that will get them on the first page of Google search results. Ricoh was very careful who got an early K-1 to review, in order to control the message, and it was a successful strategy. Other manufacturers do the same thing.

01-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #422
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by mannyquinto Quote
Geez, this thread is fast and all over.

Yes it is.

Hang on tight and enjoy the ride.

Careful though, it may get bumpy.
01-19-2017, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #423
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
People who search out camera reviews online are doing so to reinforce their existing opinions. To get viewers, those reviews are deliberately slanted to those preconceived opinions, there is no such thing as an objective review. Anyone and their dog can produce a YouTube review, all they need is something new that will get them on the first page of Google search results. Ricoh was very careful who got an early K-1 to review, in order to control the message, and it was a successful strategy. Other manufacturers do the same thing.
I search out reviews online when looking to buy new gear.

When I bought my first DSLR, 7 years ago, it was due to a lot of online research. A friend locally mentioned Pentax in name, so I went online to see what a Pentax was.

Of course the youtube reviews are subjective. They are personal reviews. Yet even professional reviews are subjective when discussing handling, menus, and other subjective qualities. Look at DPR's K-1 conclusion of AF tracking with guy on a bike. That blew up.. because the test was poorly conducted. Even so, it provided a point of data amongst other points to draw a more defined conclusion on the K-1.

I rely heavily on online reviews of products. And the more points of data, the better my decisions.
01-19-2017, 08:17 PM - 2 Likes   #424
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
People who search out camera reviews online are doing so to reinforce their existing opinions.
Is that true though? I think these days most people turn to the internet to find more information. I still subscribe to a few magazines and I enjoy them for what they are, but I find the reviews to be much less in-depth than what can be done online.

To get viewers, those reviews are deliberately slanted to those preconceived opinions, there is no such thing as an objective review. Anyone and their dog can produce a YouTube review, all they need is something new that will get them on the first page of Google search results.
I mean, we can and should always be aware of what the source of a review is... were the circumstances of a review surrounding a press event trip in Iceland? Well, then even if they are trying to be objective, I need to consider whether there IS some influence... but to point-blank say that every review online is slanted or only for google clicks is, in my opinion, a little bit cynical.

"Anyone and their dog can produce a YouTube review" Yes, and they do: Should I buy Canon 5D Mark IV, Nikon D750 or the Sony A7R MK2? - YouTube (believe he is north of the border up there with you...) Of course, just as in other forms of media, there is quite a variety in production values. So if that is important to you, you can find a wide range of options. Plus, if anyone (not only corporate sponsored hacks) can have access, doesn't that improve the chances of at least some unbiased true reviews? Certainly more so than other common avenues of media.

Ricoh was very careful who got an early K-1 to review, in order to control the message, and it was a successful strategy. Other manufacturers do the same thing.
Honestly, I might have missed it but I am not aware of anyone getting it early for public review purposes. I think after the camera was officially announced you had some people covering directly from CP+ with "First Look" type reviews but I don't think any major reviewer got the camera significantly early, if early at all. And look, I can understand it is a big business with lots of money involved... of course there is concern about control of message. But name another camera brand that doesn't have ambasssador's? How information is dispersed to an interested public is changing. Again, no love lost for Pentax... I just want to see them be successful.

01-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #425
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Per above, as a very occasional Fuji customer in Canada, I have always been given the chance to access and have hands-on time with new gear (via "walk" events). Even better, the chance to have the ear of one of the Canada executive, who is part of the development team. I would agree videos are important, but IMO, the chance to play with brand new kit, very shortly after release, and prior to it turning up in shops is exciting.

Back on topic, as per letter code, would this not be a revival of the lower tier?

K-X
K-R
K-S +2
K-P ?
01-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #426
Pentaxian

Ricoh was very careful who got an early K-1 to review, in order to control the message, and it was a successful strategy. Other manufacturers do the same thing.
Perhaps Ricoh think they were successful with their K-1 (It is their 1st digital FF that many longed for and expectations are so high), but this K-P from what we know is not their high end product, so playing their "secret strategies" might not be applicable.

01-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #427
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
secret strategies
like K70!

01-20-2017, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #428
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really don't think this is true or makes sense. Tony Northrup had to borrow a Pentaxian's K-1, and still walked away with the impression it was the Camera of the Year.
01-20-2017, 12:52 AM - 1 Like   #429
Pentaxian

See Mr. Pentax. The speculation of specs are all over and is getting out of hand. Please bring out the specs of Koffee Prime.
01-20-2017, 05:55 AM   #430
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Now you've done it Mr. Pentax! We're all going to have koffee Pleasure and no one can stop us! And this is all your fault!
Coffee pleasure sounds so right.

+ 'have you had your coffee pleasure this morning' is the thing to ask a grumpy person. No way that can go wrong.
01-20-2017, 06:46 AM - 2 Likes   #431
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But will it have a Kung-fu grip?
A version of it, KP will have a Kung-Phu grip.

Last edited by Samoht; 01-20-2017 at 09:15 AM.
01-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #432
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
See Mr. Pentax. The speculation of specs are all over and is getting out of hand. Please bring out the specs of Koffee Prime.
Thank heavens we have a promise of specs release in less than a week, rather than some nebulous future date!
01-20-2017, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #433
Veteran Member

Ehh... did anyone mention Pentax KP? Gastroenterology | PENTAX Medical (EMEA)
01-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #434
Pentaxian

Yep, quite a few people did...
01-20-2017, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #435
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
Ehh... did anyone mention Pentax KP? Gastroenterology | PENTAX Medical (EMEA)
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yep, quite a few people did...
Then it must be true

Steve