Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #961
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I admit to making a bit of a joke, but don't the best jokes contain a grain of truth?

I think it is smart of Pentax to make multiple grips for this camera - there is a decent 3rd party grip business for mirrorless cameras. But the exposed screwhead gives these Pentax grips a bit of an unfinished look, at those they were made by enthusiasts rather than first party. But I'm looking at only pictures, perhaps "in the flesh" the grips will seem better.
http://nl.aliexpress.com/cheap/cheap-screw-covers-white.html

01-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #962
Pentaxian

I have the feeling that we (or, I and the few others wanting to understand Pentax - how many on this forum?) won't get this KP until we'll see other K models.
Something changed (maybe), they're not using the same strategy as with the K-5/K-3 lines. The K-5/K-3 were "affordable flagship" products; the body of a flagship camera but not the performance (nor the price). The KP... maybe it tries to leave room for a true flagship (at flagship prices) product.
Or maybe it's made smaller as to prepare for a (ahem) mirrorless line. Or an alternative to a mirrorless line. Or who knows what else.

I hope we'll find out more information at CP+ (interviews & stuff), and by the end of spring (when some further leaks might occur... or not )
01-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #963
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
(...) If I had to guess, Ricoh probably saw K3ii sales plummet during the introduction of the K-1 and then never recover. Although a few people certainly do specifically want Pro APS-C (normhead provides very good arguments for this) and some K-3ii sales continued after the K-1, they may have been too small a niche to support the costs of developing and launching a new body.

(...)
I had the same idea. KP could be Ricoh Imaging's tentative answer to K-3 II sales plummeting after K-1's introduction as K-S1 was their tentative answer to the poor sales of K-500.
01-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #964
Pentaxian

I count 27 AF points on the LCD display of one of the pictures just like the K3(ii) - major disappointment if true. K1 has 6 points more squeezed in between the rectangular pattern and the left/right extreme points. Looks like old focus moddule and still the same coverage as before. Technology wise this s not a revelation - but it will help to sell my 20-40 APS-C glass :-)
Camera will sell well in Japan. Let's wait for the next camera.

I am almost tempted to get a K3 II for only a couple hundred $ new now.

Where are the new lenses???

01-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #965
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I have the feeling that we (or, I and the few others wanting to understand Pentax - how many on this forum?) won't get this KP until we'll see other K models.
Latest inside comment is that this is not the K-3 successor, which is to "come later". Basically this is stating the obvious, isn't it.
01-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #966
Pentaxian

I admit to making a bit of a joke, but don't the best jokes contain a grain of truth?

I think it is smart of Pentax to make multiple grips for this camera - there is a decent 3rd party grip business for mirrorless cameras. But the exposed screwhead gives these Pentax grips a bit of an unfinished look, at those they were made by enthusiasts rather than first party. But I'm looking at only pictures, perhaps "in the flesh" the grips will seem better.
Remember the K-1 mockup? It isn't even a new joke

Hmm... sure, I don't like the exposed screwheads (but like you, I want to see the camera "in the flesh"). It wouldn't bother me much, though - and I can't think of a better solution. Caps can fall off, removing and re-gluing the rubber wouldn't work... besides, you won't see it when shooting
01-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #967

photos leaked online. (not sure if anyone else has posted this, but I just saw it elsewhere)

First picture of the Pentax KP DSLR camera leaked online | Photo Rumors
01-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #968
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Latest inside comment is that this is not the K-3 successor, which is to "come later". Basically this is stating the obvious, isn't it.
What's the source?
Please take no offense, but the Internet is full of speculation.

01-24-2017, 10:43 AM - 2 Likes   #969
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
photos leaked online. (not sure if anyone else has posted this, but I just saw it elsewhere)

First picture of the Pentax KP DSLR camera leaked online | Photo Rumors
Don't worry, you are only seven hours and 19 pages late .
01-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #970
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The KP looks like a very nice camera for upper-end users. It certainly addresses some of the biggest complaints about the K1 & K-3ii such as lack of built-in flash, overall size, and price. People have been calling for a return to Pentax' roots as a maker of non-massive DSLRs and this answers that call. The removable/interchangeable hand grip looks especially brilliant for making a smaller camera comfortable for the widest range of users. We'll see if the smaller battery really is a problem -- if Pentax has improved the energy efficiency of various subsystems, the shots/charge might still be competitive.

Yet I can understand that some are disappointed this is not a full-on Pro APS-C replacement of the K3. If I had to guess, Ricoh probably saw K3ii sales plummet during the introduction of the K-1 and then never recover. Although a few people certainly do specifically want Pro APS-C (normhead provides very good arguments for this) and some K-3ii sales continued after the K-1, they may have been too small a niche to support the costs of developing and launching a new body.

Of course, who knows what Ricoh is up to (besides Kenspo & Asahiman).

K3II sales plumetted because it is still the K3 camera with unreliable GPS installed in flash place. And K3 was outdated when KS-2 saw the light..
01-24-2017, 10:43 AM - 2 Likes   #971
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
That seems to be the standard reply by some people: "You want a D500." No, we don't want a D500. The D500 has the best AF system in history, and we know Pentax won't be able to do that within a decade. We want a D7200. We want an improvement of the K3, just as the K3 was an improvement of the K5. That is not a lot to ask for, and not something that should cost two grand.
I'm on the same boat. I just want performance that meets or exceeds the D7200. Funny thing is that the D7200 is already getting "old" & a new Nikon D7xxx will eventually replace it with improved AF. I'd be happy with just D7200 AF performance. Pentax has everything I want, except for AF performance. Nikon has all the AF performance that I want, but lacks everything else that makes Pentax awesome.

We're not even aspiring for D500 AF nor updated Nikon D7300/7400/7500/whatever AF either. Just "old" D7200 AF performance at least. I guess that's asking for too much & we should be flogged, tarred, feathered, & then drawn & quartered for even thinking of such AF performance.

Pentax's "D7200" is the K-3 II.
From reading various reviews of owners comparing their K-3/3II to their D7200, the AF performance is still lacking on the K-3 series. It's much better than the older & lower Pentax models, but still leaves a lot of room for improvement.
01-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #972
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
If it's not k3ii as I assume it will be the new pentax style on designing future bodies IMO.
Not necessarily. Pentax has a long history of one off body styles.
01-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #973
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Makes perfect sense. Sell K3ii technology in a retro body to make money and present something really new later.
Problem is the KP is the only thing surfacing so far.
01-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #974
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
I am already missing the grip of my K-3.
Why?
Because it has an indention for the middle finger that is positioned above the center of gravity of the cam. Thus, it can help stabilizing the cam - a bit like a gimbal when you let the K-3(II) "hang" from the indention. Ingenious design.
And nothing like that on the KP. Three grips to choose from but none of them offers this feature. Too bad.

Get out your file and make one.

Necessity is the mother of invention.
01-24-2017, 10:49 AM - 2 Likes   #975
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Get out your file and make one.

Necessity is the mother of invention.
Buy a Ricoh 3D printer and print yourself one.
And their evil business plan is uncovered!