Show Printable Version 819 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 10:52 AM - 2 Likes   #976
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Get out your file and make one.

Necessity is the mother of invention.
This is seriously a good plan for modding it to your needs.

I do wood working, if I bought this camera, I'd definitely consider making my own bolt on grip if the mating surface isn't too weird of a shape.

01-24-2017, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #977
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

This one!

Regarding the ergonomics.. Really no one can tell. Things can look horribly uncomfy but in reality aren't that bad. (designer chairs anyone? okay, some of those are unfomfy)
01-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #978
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Thats actually not a bad idea. Get a grip made exactly the way you like. Business op
01-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #979

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I'm on the same boat. I just want performance that meets or exceeds the D7200. Funny thing is that the D7200 is already getting "old" & a new Nikon D7xxx will eventually replace it with improved AF. I'd be happy with just D7200 AF performance. Pentax has everything I want, except for AF performance. Nikon has all the AF performance that I want, but lacks everything else that makes Pentax awesome.

We're not even aspiring for D500 AF nor updated Nikon D7300/7400/7500/whatever AF either. Just "old" D7200 AF performance at least. I guess that's asking for too much & we should be flogged, tarred, feathered, & then drawn & quartered for even thinking of such AF performance.

From reading various reviews of owners comparing their K-3/3II to their D7200, the AF performance is still lacking on the K-3 series. It's much better than the older & lower Pentax models, but still leaves a lot of room for improvement.
you just wrote this for me..... Pentax wont satisfy you in wildlife/sports, while Nikon will disappoint you in landscapes.

Only reason I might lean towards Nikon is here in my region Nikon lenses are available, while many Pentax lenses aren't available, & when they are, they're priced ridiculously.

01-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #980
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Buy a Ricoh 3D printer and print yourself one.

There you go.
01-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #981

What's the source?
Please take no offense, but the Internet is full of speculation.
how can a camera with an inferior battery than the predecessor be a successor??
01-24-2017, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #982
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's funny, I did exactly that a couple months ago to make a bracket-type grip for my backup K-S1 so that I could use big lenses more comfortably on it. A hacksaw, drill, Dremel, and lots of J-B Weld were involved. How did Pentax know I've been thinking a lot about interchangeable grips lately?

Also, if the KP isn't the "K-3 replacement", does that mean it's the long-long-LONG-long-awaited K200D replacement? Some high-end features, weather sealed, battery grip...

01-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #983
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
This is seriously a good plan for modding it to your needs.

I do wood working, if I bought this camera, I'd definitely consider making my own bolt on grip if the mating surface isn't too weird of a shape.

From wood!

Perfect!

Maybe even incorporate some leather inlay!

Now we're talking high end, like Leica or Hasselblad.

Make us proud Bob!
01-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #984
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
From reading various reviews of owners comparing their K-3/3II to their D7200, the AF performance is still lacking on the K-3 series. It's much better than the older & lower Pentax models, but still leaves a lot of room for improvement.
Yes, but I was replying to Mr. Fox's statement implying there was no D7200esque step-up from the K-3, when in fact there was: the K-3 II. Just as the D7200 added a little bit to the D7100, the K-3 II added a little bit to the K-3.
01-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #985
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
how can a camera with an inferior battery than the predecessor be a successor??
It's possible they went with a smaller battery to save weight on this one. Different engineering priorities.
01-24-2017, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #986
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
... What I find ludicrous is the cliche of a "real successor" or "real replacement" ...
I get what you're saying, but Ricoh/Pentax have a tendency to redesign and re-badge, and I think that's what many are talking about. So the K-50 replaced the K-30, but from an R&D perspective, there wasn't much there. Here we have to see the specs, but if it's still based on the K-3's AF module and the same processor, then I don't think it's a "real" replacement in that sense... But the specs will tell.
01-24-2017, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #987
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From wood!

Perfect!

Make us proud Bob!
Will wait until the camera comes out, but colour me tempted.
01-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #988

What's the source?
Please take no offense, but the Internet is full of speculation.

it's from a German forum
DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - Pentax KP=

AFA-Fotohandel is a sponsor and dealer, I think we can trust him.
01-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #989
Veteran Member

From wood!

Perfect!

Make us proud Bob!
I can offer fancy acrylics if anybody would wish so.
I recently took up turning razors and am going to start at fountainpens soon, and probably will be shaping camera grips out of offcuts
01-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #990
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
you just wrote this for me..... Pentax wont satisfy you in wildlife/sports, while Nikon will disappoint you in landscapes.

Only reason I might lean towards Nikon is here in my region Nikon lenses are available, while many Pentax lenses aren't available, & when they are, they're priced ridiculously.
To say that "Nikon will disappoint you in landscapes" is lolworthy. What are you shooting with right now?