Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 07:01 AM   #1201
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
You know.. Ricoh tries hard to burry Pentax... maybe the drop in market share will be higher this year

With Tamron and Sigma leaving K mount it certainly won't rise at all..
As far as I have understood. Ricoh is making profit with their market share compared to others who are making losses. So I dont think they are burying it.

I guess the main thing people complain about with pentax is the AF. Though I dont know what other manufactures feel like as I have shot only pentax.

---------- Post added 25-01-17 at 17:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OTH Quote
This KP is a total mess. The build quality is poor entry level but the price is "Pro". The design is poor, this is neither Retro nor K-Style and Pentax did everything to save money at this body.
Who should buy this if you can get a 80D for example for far less money but with a far better AF-System and who should buy this if you can get a FF D610 for the same price-tag ?
From what I saw from that posted youtube video, the camera does look nice. The pictures that have been posted doesn't do it justice in how it looks.

As for the price no comment.

The camera itself is not for me. I like the feel of a bulky camera in my hand. That is why I have a K-3 with a grip on.

01-25-2017, 07:05 AM   #1202
mee
Veteran Member

This KP is a total mess. The build quality is poor entry level but the price is "Pro". The design is poor, this is neither Retro nor K-Style and Pentax did everything to save money at this body.
Who should buy this if you can get a 80D for example for far less money but with a far better AF-System and who should buy this if you can get a FF D610 for the same price-tag ?
Price is now my bigger concern. Not so much for the KP, but as a result of the KP where does the flagship pricing stand now?

It isn't going to be at or lower than the estimated 1100 USD price tag for this body. It seems, to me, it will have to be north of that. However, much further north and we're entering into entry FF (Canon and Nikon) and sports crop (Canon) price range.

Their system currently isn't nearly as attractive in some aspects (mostly AF, lens lineup, and hardware support) as they offer. So I hope Ricoh are very cautious about pricing these in a very saturated market.
01-25-2017, 07:15 AM   #1203
Veteran Member

i do not understand why everybody is so dissapointed by the not yet released camera. we all know us pentaxians love our cameras because they are very well made, have good iq, and superb handling. what the pentaxians wanted was something more retro looking and compact. but pentaxians also hate optical viewfinders. so Pentax listened and will be soon offering it for a presumed price.

almost nobody knows anything official. it could well be a 3d printed pre production model. we know nothing of the materials and only some leaked specs.

so please be patient for another day until you start bashing. or even better, rent one when available and post user impresions, not picture descriptions. i could very well be a camera superior in more ways than one to the k-3
01-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #1204
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Price is now my bigger concern. Not so much for the KP, but as a result of the KP where does the flagship pricing stand now?

It isn't going to be at or lower than the estimated 1100 USD price tag for this body. It seems, to me, it will have to be north of that. However, much further north and we're entering into entry FF (Canon and Nikon) and sports crop (Canon) price range.

Their system currently isn't nearly as attractive in some aspects (mostly AF, lens lineup, and hardware support) as they offer. So I hope Ricoh are very cautious about pricing these in a very saturated market.
The €1,299 price includes 20% VAT. This is equivalent to $1,164 before sales tax, if any.

The ¥137,700 price includes 8% tax. It is equivalent to $1,123 before sales tax.

$1,149.99?

01-25-2017, 07:17 AM - 2 Likes   #1205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
And you want the less-than-a-year old SAFOX XII in the K-1 (top-of-the-line DSLR offering from Pentax) to be upgraded by 150%+ within a year and put into the new flagship APS-C body?
Yes. Do you want to know why? Because a) Pentax is capable of major AF upgrades (not D500 level, but still relative to its older cameras). From the K5 II to the K3 the AF was upgraded from 11 to 27 points. I don't know about speed and performance, but just from the number of AF points that is an upgrade of 145%. Pretty close to the 150% you quoted

In addition, with the K-1 Pentax went low price (relative to the competition). They even went so far as to include USB 2 instead of USB 3 to keep the price down, as they said in an interview. Thus is makes perfect sense for them to not throw all their money at a new super-duper AF system. In fact, I think someone noted the additional 6 points of the K-1's AF were already hardwired into the 27-point system of the K3/K3 II, and only needed some minor work.

I do not find it at all unlikely that Pentax may have been working on a more substantially upgraded AF system, that simply wasn't yet ready for the K-1, which still represented excellent value even with its minor AF upgrade. And even if they put a major new AF system into their new APS-C flagship, that still wouldn't make it fullframe, so there is enough differentiation between it and the K-1.

So in conclusion - no tripping, no trolling. Just more or less realistic expectations.
01-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #1206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The €1,299 price includes 20% VAT. This is equivalent to $1,164 before sales tax, if any.

The ¥137,700 price includes 8% tax. It is equivalent to $1,123 before sales tax.

$1,149.99?
For some reason cameras and lenses are always substantially cheaper in the US than Europe, even ignoring sales tax.
01-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #1207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

$1,149.99?
1099-1199 is going to be the window, then the k3III will be 1699 (or higher if they pull off an AF upgrade miracle but still less than the D500)

01-25-2017, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #1208
Forum Member

This KP is a total mess. The build quality is poor entry level but the price is "Pro".
and Pentax did everything to save money at this body.
So you have had KP in your hands and now you're breaking NDA?

The design is poor, this is neither Retro nor K-Style
Subjective

Who should buy this if you can get a 80D for example for far less money but with a far better AF-System and who should buy this if you can get a FF D610 for the same price-tag?
Somebody who needs compact APS-C body to go with Limited lenses, with IBIS, Pixel Shift, who doesn't care about video capabilities and is totally OK with K-3 II levels of AF? If KP uses shutter assembly from K-5/K-3 series with separate motor for aperture control (i.e. doesn't have K-30/K-50 issues), I will buy it in a heartbeat to replace my K-5II as soon as price hits 1099 euro mark.
01-25-2017, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #1209

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
As far as I have understood. Ricoh is making profit with their market share compared to others who are making losses. So I dont think they are burying it.

I guess the main thing people complain about with pentax is the AF. Though I dont know what other manufactures feel like as I have shot only pentax.

-

Lol.. have you seen this? This is DROP even though they delivered K-1 camera that was supposed to be big bang, but FF pentaxians were saturated quickly and now these cameras are on stock everywhere with rather poor selling record when compared to EOS5DIII, EOS5DIV and D810 counterparts. Guess why.

---------- Post added 25-01-17 at 03:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
i do not understand why everybody is so dissapointed by the not yet released camera. we all know us pentaxians love our cameras because they are very well made, have good iq, and superb handling. what the pentaxians wanted was something more retro looking and compact. but pentaxians also hate optical viewfinders. so Pentax listened and will be soon offering it for a presumed price.

almost nobody knows anything official. it could well be a 3d printed pre production model. we know nothing of the materials and only some leaked specs.

so please be patient for another day until you start bashing. or even better, rent one when available and post user impresions, not picture descriptions. i could very well be a camera superior in more ways than one to the k-3

LOL, no it is real working camera, there already is review and video available, just pulled back due to official release date..

look at this:

Pentax KP | www.digineff.cz
01-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #1210
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
1099-1199 is going to be the window, then the k3III will be 1699 (or higher if they pull off an AF upgrade miracle but still less than the D500)
Is that USD? If so how many K3 III's do you think they'll sell at 1700 USD? You can pickup a K-1, or D750, or 7DII, or (maybe) D500, or 80D (and have money to spare) among others at that price.

No, I think the K3III will be closer to the 1100-1200 dollar price range itself. And hat is before looking at the hardware (don't have to) because they're not going to leapfrog the other manufacturers in AF performance, video features, or any other place the brand is "lacking."
01-25-2017, 07:32 AM   #1211
Veteran Member

Lol.. have you seen this? This is DROP even though they delivered K-1 camera that was supposed to be big bang, but FF pentaxians were saturated quickly and now these cameras are on stock everywhere with rather poor selling record when compared to EOS5DIII, EOS5DIV and D810 counterparts. Guess why.

[COLOR="Silver"]

[

your arguments have no validity, Pentax is not and will not any time soon be in the same class as Canon who have spent more on advertising alone in a year than pentax has in the digital age would be my guess. add in they have ruled the market since the dawn of digital (and for the tail end of the film age) 1 FF camera is not going to take on companies who have massive distribution chains and broader assortments in categories than pentax' whole line. now you are just trolling.
01-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #1212
mee
Veteran Member

LOL, no it is real working camera, there already is review and video available, just pulled back due to official release date..

look at this:

Pentax KP | www.digineff.cz
Thanks for that link.. he directly states this is the new mid-tier body. And also gets into saying it is pretty bold step to enter into Nikon and Canon pricing. Yes.. I think so too. It will be interesting to see how the customer reacts.
01-25-2017, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #1213

What's all the huzzah about? If as Asahi Man says the KP is not a K-3ii replacement then obviously it is a one-off novelty/collectors/anniversary item like the AP. That would explain the styling, naming, features and possibly high price tag. If Ricoh had not scuttled the name/line call it a K-S3 and don't buy it if it doesn't appeal to you.

Same thing happened with the K-S2 - endless squealing about the size, styling, features and specs and not being a worthy replacement of the K-50 even though Ricoh said numerous times it was not a K-50 replacement.

In any case it appears to be a very capable camera and will deliver the high quality images we all associate with Pentax DSLRs. Even the much maligned K-01 and K-S1 deliver image quality that is expected from a Pentax camera.
01-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #1214
OTH

QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
I will buy it in a heartbeat to replace my K-5II as soon as price hits 1099 euro mark.
Get a K-3II for actual 949€ including the 50mm/1.8 and sell the 50mm for 50€ and you'll get a far better package for far less money than the KP with a way better build quality.
The difference between the 3-axle and 5-axle SR and this little more of dynamic etc. isn't worth the price difference in real use.
01-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #1215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Is that USD? If so how many K3 III's do you think they'll sell at 1700 USD? You can pickup a K-1, or D750, or 7DII, or (maybe) D500, or 80D (and have money to spare) among others at that price.

No, I think the K3III will be closer to the 1100-1200 dollar price range itself. And hat is before looking at the hardware (don't have to) because they're not going to leapfrog the other manufacturers in AF performance, video features, or any other place the brand is "lacking."
ok maybe 1499, but i doubt any lower on launch
D500 BTW is $1997 today
7Dii is 1350 and is as old as the K3II , when it refreshes it will go up as well it was 1799 on launch

Much will also depend on how the USD does under the new administration and whether they put tariffs in place since they have gotten very protectionist and ultimately it is the consumer who pays for that (ask the Aussies how that works)