Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 819 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #1261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OTH Quote
I would like to know what kenspo and asahiman have to say !
What they said before. That this is no K-3 II replacement. It wouldn't make sense. Don't believe dpreview, they probably just made an assumption based on the price like many did on this forum .

Last edited by alpheios; 01-25-2017 at 03:42 PM.
01-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #1262
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Potentially that DP Review doesn't have its facts right...
To be fair to Dpreview, they may be basing their assessment on the Pentax America marketing blurb which calls the camera "heir" to the K3 legacy and like all blurbs is a little fanciful in the picture it paints. More interesting is that the blurb mentions a "completely new, much-improved" AF algorithm over the first iteration of Safox 11 and that it seems to position the KP as a mainstream camera in the line rather than a special item, which I wasn't expecting.

Adorama are calling the KP a flagship successor to the K3 on their Pentax page, so who knows what the masters of marketing mayhem are up to. A glance at a couple of sites here in the U.K. has the KP described as "a new high end camera" without referring to the K3 at all in the blurb (perhaps a Ricoh Europe effort), maybe the better way of doing it.

A tough sell for Pentax where I live at the quoted price, if this is a mainstream item. Still a fine camera, imho.

Last edited by mecrox; 01-25-2017 at 04:05 PM.
01-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #1263
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
To be fair to Dpreview, they may be basing their assessment on the Pentax America marketing blurb which calls the camera "heir" to the K3 legacy and like all blurbs is a little fanciful in the picture it paints. More interesting is that the blurb mentions a "completely new, much-improved" AF algorithm over the first iteration of Safox 11 and that it seems to position the KP as a mainstream camera in the line rather than a special item, which I wasn't expecting. This means a darn tough sell for Pentax where I live at the quoted price. Still a fine camera, imho.
Adorama must have the same info as well. Just received their e-mail with the same K-3 inference.
01-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #1264
OTH

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
What they said before. That this is no K-3 II replacement. It wouldn't make sense. Don't believe dpreview, they probably just made an assumption based on the price like many did on this forum .
It makes sense. Pentax doesn't care for APS-C anymore. This format is no longer interesting to them and will provide only the entry level with cheap and overpriced plastics as you can see now.

01-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #1265
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

This means a darn tough sell for Pentax where I live at the quoted price. Still a fine camera, imho.
I agree. A very nice camera with good features. I am not convinced I want to pay USD $1,100 for it though. Thinking about that...
01-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #1266
Veteran Member

Pentax "KP" DSLR registered in Indonesia

To be fair to Dpreview, they may be basing their assessment on the Pentax America marketing blurb which calls the camera "heir" to the K3 legacy and like all blurbs is a little fanciful in the picture it paints. More interesting is that the blurb mentions a "completely new, much-improved" AF algorithm over the first iteration of Safox 11 and that it seems to position the KP as a mainstream camera in the line rather than a special item, which I wasn't expecting. This means a darn tough sell for Pentax where I live at the quoted price. Still a fine camera, imho.

Yeah dp review is speculating, as for the price $1500 seems high in Canada but I also know once k3ii are flushed through the pipeline and the new one is launching prices will adjust
Launch price rarely holds more than 6 months
And doing this protects dealers with stock of older models

Last edited by eddie1960; 01-25-2017 at 04:04 PM.
01-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #1267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It makes sense. Pentax doesn't care for APS-C anymore. This format is no longer interesting to them and will provide only the entry level with cheap and overpriced plastics as you can see now.
Given today's announcement, I guess this prophecy has not come to pass. GO PENTAX!

01-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #1268
Pentaxian

Pentax doesn't care for APS-C anymore. This format is no longer interesting to them
Source?
01-25-2017, 03:56 PM - 3 Likes   #1269
a5m
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
Source?
wherethesundontshine.com
01-25-2017, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #1270
Veteran Member

I commented on the DPR announcement and editor Barney Britton replied thusly:

"I'm literally just telling you what Ricoh's representatives told me in our meeting earlier this month. It will replace the K-3 II at the top of the APS-C DSLR lineup. There's every chance that another model will then take the top-spot, at some point in the near future, with twin card slots and all the rest."
01-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #1271
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Cheers for the update
01-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #1272
Veteran Member

"I'm literally just telling you what Ricoh's representatives told me in our meeting earlier this month. It will replace the K-3 II at the top of the APS-C DSLR lineup. There's every chance that another model will then take the top-spot, at some point in the near future, with twin card slots and all the rest."

Even with that a temporarily high price so older stocks clear before a drop to a market price makes sense . Lots of speculation on it not being much more than a k70 when reality is aside from maybe KENspo or asahiman no one on this thread has even touched one
All bets are off for me until I can pick one up tbh
I think it looks like a damn fine camera but it's playing to all my hot buttons
01-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #1273
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Even with that a temporarily high price so older stocks clear before a drop to a market price makes sense . Lots of speculation on it not being much more than a k70 when reality is aside from maybe KENspo or asahiman no one on this thread has even touched one
All bets are off for me until I can pick one up tbh
I think it looks like a damn fine camera but it's playing to all my hot buttons
Of course we cannot pass a final verdict on the camera yet, but there are aspects that don't necessitate picking the camera up at all. There is no top LCD. The camera is not metal. There is no second SD slot. There is no big AF improvement, es hoped for, and no minor improvement, as suspected by others, there is no change at all.

That, to me (and many others, it appears), is disappointment enough.
01-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #1274
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The camera is not metal.
Imaging Resource says otherwise: "magnesium alloy body".

Pentax KP Review: Hands-On Preview
01-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #1275
OTH

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Image Resource says otherwise: "magnesium alloy body".

Pentax KP Review: Hands-On Preview
they say parts are alloy body, the top cover is ordinary plastic. This is no longer a full metal body and no one confirmed that it is magnesium. It could be Alumnium because it's a way cheaper.