Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 819 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2017, 07:47 AM - 4 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I just read some speculation on a Japanese forum that KP might be meant to evoke similarities to the Pentax SP, implying that it might be retro styled. Sounds somewhat plausible.
It could also evoke the original Asahi Pentax (AP), the first Japanese SLR with pentaprism (and rapid-wind lever) in celebrating its 60th anniversary (1957-2017).

Remember the AP 50th Aniv. prototype camera based on K10D and celebrating in 2007 the 50th anniversary of the AP.

01-13-2017, 08:19 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Maybe it refers to the mount: P for PLM and the body will not have an aperture block at all and only use PLM lenses. Which would mean a whole slew of PLM lenses released at the same time.
To be clear: PLM is not the lens mount that got rid of the stop-down lever; that's KAF4. PLM is just the new autofocus motor.

The only lens we've seen so far to use either of these (the new 55-300) happened to have them both, but it's theoretically possible for Pentax to bring out a new lens that has one but not the other. So the two shouldn't be conflated.
01-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Pentax calling a camera KP ....... They must be nuts!!!
01-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #49

It could also be a medical device:
Gastroenterology | PENTAX Medical (EMEA)

01-13-2017, 09:54 AM - 3 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acro Quote
It could also be a medical device:
Gastroenterology | PENTAX Medical (EMEA)
...and the 'Wide-Angle Single Focus Lens' on the Pentax K-Mount D FA lens roadmap, supposed to be the first among the five lenses on this roadmap to be launched, is the 24mm represented below. It will be announced together with the Pentax KP.

01-13-2017, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #51

Photos: Gallery
Its a k mount but in a mirrowless because its a letter like in the Q? or the continuation of the kx. Mmmm or King Pentax o.o!!
01-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #52
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Didn't Ricoh suggest quite recently that they'd be concentrating on premium cameras from now on? The K-S1 - excellent little camera though it is - doesn't seem to fit that mould. I'd have thought the K-70 would be pretty-much baseline for a premium range... Regardless of that, any new model is a positive thing. Go Ricoh
I think that was pure marketing speak- IMO they should still have an affordable entry point into the DSLR system, i.e. something to compete with the D3000 series and the older Rebels.

But who knows what they'll come up with! Maybe they see the K-S2 as that affordable option.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-13-2017, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #53
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think that was pure marketing speak
Surely not?!?
01-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #54
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The naming would be in like with the K-x and K-r as introductory level cameras.
It would be nice to make a return to that naming convention, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-13-2017, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #55

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
...and the 'Wide-Angle Single Focus Lens' on the Pentax K-Mount D FA lens roadmap, supposed to be the first among the five lenses on this roadmap to be launched, is the 24mm represented below. It will be announced together with the Pentax KP.
This lens will have a new type of weather sealing that is a step up from AW, that will be called OW!
01-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Are we sure it doesn't stand for "Kein Problem", "No Problem" in German?

"If I buy a Pentax, No Problem?"
"No Problem."

"Hey, I'm shooting Pentax now!"
"Surely not, how!? Did you get the K-1?"
"No, it's No Problem really and I simply ordered it from the internet."

I do hope it's not a retro camera though, I wanted to save up for other things, and I really don't need it..
01-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #57
Pentaxian

I am a point where I have little interest in purchasing any new Pentax gear as I feel that I have what I need and my first love is medium format film. The reason I still participate on this forum is for entertainment value such as the rumour threads. I find in funny that people who know Pentax well are still trying to find any rationale behind their naming conventions, Lets see; K10 then the K20 but the K30 does not follow them in the lineup. K7 then K5 then K3 and then the K1 does not follow the K3. K-m then the K-r, surely there are several letters missing between them. 645D and Z are not 645 in size. MX was a film camera but the MX-1 is nothing like it.

I think the only thing we can gleam from the name is that it will probably be a dslr with a K mount and either above, below or replacing an existing camera.
01-13-2017, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It could also evoke the original Asahi Pentax (AP), the first Japanese SLR with pentaprism (and rapid-wind lever) in celebrating its 60th anniversary (1957-2017).
I surely don't need another camera but I would enjoy seeing the historical references, such as the K-1 prism housing. My question is whether they would 'spend' the historic reference on anything other than some sort of breakthrough camera - which suggests a true flagship APSc body (or something else that departs from expectations and historical norms ).
01-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #59
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

The P = old practika lenses ☺
01-13-2017, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ebk Quote
The P = old Praktica lenses ☺
...to go along with the new D FAs on the roadmap, designed by KMZ .