Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2017, 02:19 PM   #196
Pentaxian

Are you discussing MILCs and adapters on a topic dedicated to a DSLR?

01-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
There are two things mixing up here.
The Pentax KP which was found in an Indonesian document, and a fantasy MX-1 Q-7 drawing published by a Japanese magazine (It clearly says M-E not KP and it is clearly mirrorless so not K-anything).:

Not the same rumor
While I realize that's simply an artists imagining, that would be amazing if Pentax release a neat retro K mount mirrorless body like that. I'd buy one.

I really feel at this point, the brand has so much momentum behind the K mount, it really makes sense to stick with it instead of imagining new mounts.
01-15-2017, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #198
Pentaxian

K-P for Premium, very likely if you remember what RI's representatives said during last photokina's interview.
01-15-2017, 11:13 PM - 2 Likes   #199
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would rather have a (much) better AF system then a quick release grip.

01-16-2017, 12:15 AM   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ben-pentax Quote
I would rather have a (much) better AF system then a quick release grip.
The two things aren't incompatible. Your profile says your DSLR is a K10D. I think you'll find there's a huge improvement in AF with the current models, and we're all expecting further improvement in the next iteration. Personally, I don't have a call for anything better than the AF on the K-1, and the K-3 was no slouch, either.
01-16-2017, 12:33 AM   #201
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@RobA_Oz :

I'm not saying they are incompatible. All I'm saying is where my priorities are. Ain't looking for a FF, so the K-1 is not for me, but certainly looking for a smaller sensor camera. A quick release camera won't make me buy it. A (very) good AF system will. If the camera ALSO has the quick release grip may be a bonus, but not a buying trigger.
01-16-2017, 02:04 AM   #202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ben-pentax Quote
@RobA_Oz :

I'm not saying they are incompatible. All I'm saying is where my priorities are. Ain't looking for a FF, so the K-1 is not for me, but certainly looking for a smaller sensor camera. A quick release camera won't make me buy it. A (very) good AF system will. If the camera ALSO has the quick release grip may be a bonus, but not a buying trigger.
And I didn't say you did, although I was pointing out that the mooted new camera may well have better AF than its predecessors, but all we know about is the new grip. We know nothing about any other detail of the camera itself, but I wouldn't expect the grip to be a major selling point, as interesting as it may be, in itself, for those who care about such things. We don't even know where this new body will sit in the APS-C range.

I also mentioned the K-3, as well as the K-1. Now, I haven't had a K10D, but I have had a K20D, a K-5 and a K-3, and each model has brought with it a noticeable improvement in AF (among other things). I expect the K-3II's successor to have some of the K-1's improvements, too, including AF. Not too long, now, and we'll all see whether that's the case.

01-16-2017, 03:53 AM   #203
Pentaxian

ben-pentax: it doesn't work that way; it's not like they're using AF engineers to develop new grip attaching mechanisms.
So you can't have a (much) better AF instead of this new grip mechanism. You can't have a difficult problem being solved, instead of a much easier one. They just aren't comparable.
Pentax/Ricoh Imaging is doing their best to improve the AF (among other things), but as Rob said, we don't even know where this new body will sit in the APS-C range.
01-16-2017, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #204
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe the new grip will offer a greater frame rate in continuous shooting, like some other brands' high end models.
01-16-2017, 04:14 AM   #205
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@Kunzite :

Yes, No, and a certain Maybe... :-)

No company has an unrestricted budget (not to mention just the R&D part) and certainly not Ricoh's Pentax. A budget spent on a new grip design might restrict the AF budget.

MY opinion is that a (much) better AF system will certainly help me decide to replace my aging K10D. Just a grip will not. Just a grip will not bring a significant amount of new business to Pentax.

As most of us don't know what really is coming - we will wait.
01-16-2017, 04:32 AM   #206
Pentaxian

Cutting on "non-essential" features development is (un)surprisingly similar to what Hoya did to Pentax... we all know how it worked, and the reasoning behind that
In essence, your strategy would kill Pentax without providing you with the (much) better AF system.

Wait, there's something else: compared with your aging K10D, Pentax has a much better AF in the current cameras (and lenses). Something's fishy here...
01-16-2017, 04:35 AM   #207
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This "news" about the grip isn't an official Ricoh announcement, but it's been suggested that it's one of a number of innovative aspects of the new body. Only ten more sleeps, and we'll know more.
01-16-2017, 04:36 AM   #208
Pentaxian

Any camera of current lineup will be a significant upgrade in terms of AF to K10D.
01-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #209
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
This "news" about the grip isn't an official Ricoh announcement, but it's been suggested that it's one of a number of innovative aspects of the new body. Only ten more sleeps, and we'll know more.
No, it is not and I have got another rumour concerning the grip: that the camera grip itself would be interchangeable, i.e. that the user could choose among several grips, some bigger, some smaller, some deeper, some flatter; a few of them would be provided in the box, others could be purchased separately.

Take it with a grain of salt for the time being.

From the same source: 24 Mpix, more compact and lighter than K-3 II thanks to further integration of the electronic components, articulated rear LCD, retro look inspired by ME/MX.
01-16-2017, 05:06 AM   #210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds more like an interesting one-off specialty body than the flagship APSc.