Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 819 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #391
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Assumptions are often proven wrong
true but there is actually a hole in the current non discontinued offerings , maybe now they have depleted the old stocks enough to re-enter with an updated model. most of us here want the fully featured models but price point models that are better featured than the canikons and the low price mirrorless help draw people to the brand which has long term benefits for all. the local who provides the best in store selection (pretty much full line) has Ks2, K70, K3 ii, K1 and 645 z , he also still has a few clear out K3 with 18-135 for the price of a K3 Ii body

01-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #392
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
true but there is actually a hole
There's a hole in my soul
But one thing I've learned
Is that assumptions are often wrong
01-19-2017, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #393
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There might be a hole compared to the lineup of a few years ago, but in the current market, I really question whether there is room for a model under the K-70/K-S2. If it was a camera made from all the same parts as a K-70 but just lacking some features, I guess maybe it could make sense financially... but I really think with the shrinking camera market that it might make more sense to only have a flagship APS-C and a more consumer "mid-level" K-70 type camera.

Ricoh is a big company but i'm sure the camera division is tasked with making the most of the least amount possible and I think that the days of imagining the Pentax brand re-emerging in big box stores is not the reality of where the market is (at least here in North America.) Their efforts are probably better spent making a few great products and trying to garner some excitement/hype online.

To that last point: this is the biggest concern I see with Pentax right now. They are putting out pretty good products, but they are not playing the game... people aren't buying cameras by walking around a store. They're buying based off of YouTube videos and other online content. The K-1 made the rounds fairly well online but I honestly think by them (Pentax/Ricoh) not having some sort of visionary program, they are missing out on some really effective and low-cost-to-them publicity.

---------- Post added 01-19-17 at 12:54 PM ----------

Just look at how many videos rolled out last night at the end of the press embargo from Fuji for all their new cameras. Some of it was their own marketing material, but a lot was just because they sent the cameras out to people before hand and gave them the opportunity to use them and make a video about their experience. The cost to Fuji was literally the shipping, as it seems like in most cases the cameras were just loaners (not even free gifts to the reviewers.)

All that content helps build excitement and it lives on into the future online, so even if someone who is getting into photography a year from now is looking, they still get the experience.

Sorry if this is yet more off-topic. All this said, I hope whatever the "KP" is that it is a hit for Pentax and I am interested to see some leaked photos (hopefully a few days before announcement.)
01-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #394
Site Supporter

They tried that with the K500 and then the KS1, and neither one lasted all that long.

01-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #395
Pentaxian

true but there is actually a hole in the current non discontinued offerings , maybe now they have depleted the old stocks enough to re-enter with an updated model. most of us here want the fully featured models but price point models that are better featured than the canikons and the low price mirrorless help draw people to the brand which has long term benefits for all. the local who provides the best in store selection ...
Which store are you thinking of??? {I haven't seen a Pentax camera in a store since Target dropped the K-50 a couple of years ago}
01-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #396
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
Just look at how many videos rolled out last night at the end of the press embargo from Fuji for all their new cameras. Some of it was their own marketing material, but a lot was just because they sent the cameras out to people before hand and gave them the opportunity to use them and make a video about their experience. The cost to Fuji was literally the shipping, as it seems like in most cases the cameras were just loaners (not even free gifts to the reviewers.)

All that content helps build excitement and it lives on into the future online, so even if someone who is getting into photography a year from now is looking, they still get the experience.
Wait, are you saying Pentax doesn't lend out pre-release cameras to reviewers?
01-19-2017, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #397
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Which store are you thinking of??? {I haven't seen a Pentax camera in a store since Target dropped the K-50 a couple of years ago}
I'm in Toronto Canada, I live downtown, all 4 big stores downtown have Pentax stock (Henrys, Aden, Vistek and Downtown camera - Downtown provides the most support Henry's second - Henry's provides the most national support ) one thing that has helped B&M stores is our sales tax rules if i buy online from anywhere in the world i still end up paying the tax , any store in Canada has to charge my local sales tax rate and submit it (13%) anything coming form the Us needs to be brokered through customs. that will mean tax assessed on that days exchange rate plus a brokerage fee for doing it (so 13% on whatever they deem the canadian value....usually fair on the exchange rate applied and brokerage ....postal service is very fair couriers it varies wildly and can be $50 in the blink of an eye. You can self broker as well which requires a trip before it's arrival to get it clear and provide all info to the incoming courier, since the USD currently costs $1.33 + i don't look at US product often now. I have looked at used gear on here but unless it is in canada it's generally too expensive when all is said and done (I would pay yax if you shpped me a nice used K5ii for instance , but if someone in BC did I wouldn't because it would escape the scrutiny of the taxman so even if a price seems higher initially it's frequently cheaper

---------- Post added 19th Jan 2017 at 13:59 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
I'm pretty certain they would to many sites, how many they allocate as loaners may vary

01-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[rigorous enforcement of sales tax in Canada]
I had no idea. This may change a sale I was planning to make with a Canadian.
01-19-2017, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #399
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Used equipment bought (private) from a US citizen is usually no problem.
I have bought used gear from the USA several times over the years and that was always an easy transaction.

To make sure, just ask around, get info from the postal service ... etc.
As I said, usually not a big deal to sell to Canadians (used gear I meant).

Cheers!
01-19-2017, 01:13 PM - 3 Likes   #400
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I will buy privately, but only if you ship USPS, because canada post is fast good and cheap on any taxes due, and generally dont even collect on low value. fedex OTOH I've had a bill for more than the product in the brokerage and tax ($15 item $20 brokerage and 1.95 tax GRRR - in fact i went and negotiated new courier deals where i work and Fedex became the bottom of the pile after that we would ship on client fedex but never used it ourselves)
01-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #401
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will buy privately, but only if you ship USPS, because canada post is fast good and cheap on any taxes due, and generally dont even collect on low value. fedex OTOH I've had a bill for more than the product in the brokerage and tax ($15 item $20 brokerage and 1.95 tax GRRR - in fact i went and negotiated new courier deals where i work and Fedex became the bottom of the pile after that we would ship on client fedex but never used it ourselves)
Good to know. I let my buyer know anyway, and we'll be shipping pretty low value USPS, so it shouldn't be too bad either way. Thanks!
01-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #402
Nordik

Don't really have an opinion on this, facts are what counts. I'm guessing that the KP with have the P = Pentax version of the Sigma MC-xx lens mount converter. The KAF4 debate seems to add credence to this. I was hoping for a successor to the K-3ii and apparently the KP isn't the k-3 mark iii.

As for ordering from the Usa to Canada. I am sorry to say that i never got away with CCIS not charging me insane amounts of fees totaling somewhere in the 70+% range and that doesn't include the exchange rate, let alone the CP shipping fees.
01-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #403
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
Well, I think they do for their own internal testing/feedback... which is fine but separate from what I am talking about. I think maybe one time Camera Store TV got an early review copy of the 645Z... just going off memory... but I don't personally recall any other situations where there was any such effort. They clearly have some people like KensPo who do work with Pentax products but it seems to me to be more for their own feedback and internal/corporate usage... and I think if you interface with Ricoh through Facebook you have a little bit of community.

My point was just to say that this forum proves that there are many talented Pentax shooters and I bet a few of them would be willing to create content for new cameras. I mean, thank goodness for Adam and this site... it's about the only thing "PENTAX" out there (again, at least from my North American perspective.)

I'm a total Pentax fan so not knockin them... just saying it is a missed opportunity.
01-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #404
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The new camera will be film capable and digital at the same time.=)
01-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #405
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
film capable and digital at the same time

Pentax FD

Frolicking
.... Disaster