01-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #886
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kempy Quote
all of these photos are already here on this thread

01-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #887
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

But, I still don't think it is the K-3 II replacement. Especially if the 'leaked' specs are true then it is more of a K-3 II in a new shell and geared more towards retro crowd.
I think that's it.
I see it being geared more towards that trendy hipster/vintage/retro look; wait for specs but the images prove this camera is not entry-level.

Basically a K-3 in a film body?
I can see people getting on board with that. In fact, I bet a lot of my friends will be considering this camera.

I just don't see it in my bag.
Smaller battery alone turns me off, unfortunately
01-24-2017, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #888

I am still waiting for the detailed specs but here are a few comments regarding the design and ergonomics :
-The retro style is only half retro (this pop up flash does not look so vintage...) which makes it somehow weird in my eyes. But that's just a matter of taste I assume.
-Let's notice that the pop up flash is there, that's a good news.
-Ergonomics : the main deal breaker for me is the lack of top LCD screen (or equivalent). When I shoot it is vital for me to know just at a glance the following : "ISO/Shutter/Aperture"+"Battery condition"+"Memory". And the LCD screen on top is vital for this. I would have preferred a bigger one on the K-1, but I have one with key info and thus it works for me. Alternatively the dials with a mark corresponding to the shutter speed like on the film cameras (K1000 for instance) are fine. But I need to know what's going on. I covered a classical music festival during the week end and turning on the main screen was not an option.
-Ergonomics: more dials is not the simplest way. I find the 2 dials efficient for what I do. Pressing the ISO button and turning a dial at the same time is easy enough.
-Battery life : reducing the size of the battery is a concern since more and more things need power (GPS, Wifi, image processing...). And since there is no small LCD on top, having to switch on the main screen will eat up some energy.
-Connection : no jack seems a step back for video, but I was not expecting anything like a video monster anyway

As a K-1/K-3 owner, I would like to actually see a K-3 replacement that would be the exact same size and layout as the K-1. I often use the K-3 as a back-up for the K-1 or as a second camera and ideally would like to have the same layout and everything on both to be more efficient. Overall what I expect from a K-3 replacement regarding ergonomics is : build quality, K-1 organized layout, very durable battery life and dual SD slots, a screen on top.
01-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #889
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Why I'm not bashing the camera's interface before even seeing how it works? Because I'm fair and honest. Do you find those concepts questionable, too?
I don't like retro design, but it's not pure retro design, but just stylization. Vertical front wheel, no top LCD and two strange upper dials + weak battery. No touch screen I think. Tiltable LCD not like K-S2 is not easy-to-use.
To use upper dials for controls are not quick control method.

Rather archaistic, as for me.

01-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #890

QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
I like the new design, though I would want to hold it in my hands first to feel whether I can get to grips with the new design, too. It seems like we are finally getting to the old SLR sized form factor - now how amazing would that be in all its 35mm glory! Sometimes I pick up my ME-S and just wish my DSLR was the same size and had the same field of view.

What worries me though is the lack of a GPS button - so no GPS? I would have preferred to sacrifice the flash, heck the ME didn't have flash either!!11!! [seeks cover before being struck by lightning by the in-built flash advocates].

If you see carefully, the flash surrounds a protruding block, maybe that's where the GPS unit is. As far as GPS button is concerned, if at all GPS/Compass is present, I think the 3 C & 3 Fx buttons are there for a reason. We may even have the option to decouple the AF-L & AE-L could be decoupled using one of these custom buttons & dials. One of the Cx should be assignable to ISO.

I hope we have the flash commander, composition adjustment, custom P-Line functions and ISO customization (how liberal or conservative the change in ISO is).

Also I want an improvement in AF tracking, buffer clearance and pixel shift to be made more practical with reduced time.

I wanted the articulated screen of K-70 and the AF points & extra buttons of K-3 II, I think I've got it here (assuming the customization options are liberal in number unlike the K-70).

Now I've to see how good Pentax will be pricing it. I'm somewhat happy that this one skips the LCD, and I wouldn't mind if it has a single card slot or if the build quality is more like K-70 instead of K-3 II (it already looks more plastic than metal) since this will help reduce cost.

I don't care about video, so thats one less thing to worry about. I want Pentax to skip investing too much in video in one line and make it still-centric and have a separate line for video, like the GH5 with a smaller sensor for 4K or 8K with AF optimized and stabilized lenses so as to keep both dedicated photographers & videographers happy.

---------- Post added 01-24-17 at 07:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't like retro design, but it's not pure retro design, but just stylization. Vertical front wheel, no top LCD and two strange upper dials + weak battery. No touch screen I think. Tiltable LCD not like K-S2 is not easy-to-use.
To use upper dials for controls are not quick control method.

Rather archaistic, as for me.
I think you are assuming a lot here, some features might as well work as good or better than before. too early to take a call..
01-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #891
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On the surface of it, this looks like a very appealing camera to me. I'm mainly a user of the Limited lenses, so I've never found the Pentax that is quite right, and currently use both the K-5 and the K-01. It looks like this cold replace both bodies.

Some of the pictures include the DA20-40. I wonder if there will be a kit. That would be very tempting for me. I have a feeling the silver one would look just right with my FA77 on it.

About the ISO button, I guess that the idea is most people will want to use the third dial for that, so a button might be redundant. I think I would program the C1, C2, C3 settings for ISO, EV Comp. and SR on/off. I don't understand why they made HDR a permanent item on the dial, though.
01-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #892
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
How solid is this? If true, I think Ricoh needs to be careful not to price themselves out of the market. This is well above the XT-20 ($900), above the D7200 ($1000), and about equal with the (IMHO overpriced) 80d ($1100). It's a (rumored) launch price though, so street might differ I guess.

(...)
Nokishita Camera are pretty solid (they are those who provided all the pictures we are basing our discussion on) but they are not 100% affirmative on the UK price : "I was told (...)"

Then different prices may apply to different markets. It's not because the (rumoured) UK RRP is equivalent, in terms of foreign exchange, to $1,145 that the US price shall be $1,149 or even close to that.

01-24-2017, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #893
Veteran Member

I remember years ago I found a nice pair of running shoes... They fit perfectly, weren't gimmicky, priced reasonably.

I bought two pairs and left a box in the closet.
The first pair just wore out, so I went online to see if they sold them still. Nope.
Everyone had moved with the trend and the newer models didn't fit the same, were too gimmicky with the way they laced up and the colors on them, and were twice as expensive...

I'm glad I bought that second pair and stashed it in the closet!
I'm just bummed I didn't buy 4 pairs.
01-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #894
Forum Member

no upper screen at the "top crop"?

D-Li109 battery?
01-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #895
Pentaxian

ogl:
The interface could be very well easier and faster to use than that of certain much hyped fake-retro cameras. The proof is in using it; everything else... is dishonest
01-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #896

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Don't look at the sketches, they always reuse old bodies for illustrating purposes.
yes... I later saw the actual pics...
01-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #897
Veteran Member

Hope there is Gunmetal color for this one.
01-24-2017, 08:01 AM   #898
Forum Member

Amount of people jumping on "Pentax is Dooooooomed"© bandwagon is too high at the moment. I think Ricoh PR team has hit a sweet spot this time, by upsetting as many people as possible, by releasing some pics ahead of official release

There is no points so far, confirming that this is the K-3 II replacement, rather contrary:
  • Naming convention changed
  • Retro styling fitting for an 1957 Asahi Pentax homage camera, not for (semi) professional camera
  • Specs are unchanged from K-3II
  • Promo pictures are taken with limited lens, rather than rugged, modern DA
01-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #899
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
(...)

Some of the pictures include the DA20-40. I wonder if there will be a kit. That would be very tempting for me. I have a feeling the silver one would look just right with my FA77 on it.

(...)
Nokishita Camera say the camera will only be sold without lens in Japan: no kit.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nokishita Camera:
PENTAX KP

カラー:ブラック・シルバー
レンズキット:なし
01-24-2017, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #900
Veteran Member

small grip for pancake lens, Med. grip for standard zooms, Large grip for EXPENSIVE LENS =)