Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #901
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
£1,099 according to Nokishita Camera, which is €1,279 and US$1,145.

(remember, EU prices include ca. 20% VAT)
If that is with grip and and the handgrip. ......then it is very expensive.

(Looks like a nice camera to me)

01-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #902
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Seems like AP anniversary camera and K-01 successor.. not like K3 successor.

probably 24mpix
27pt AF from K3
Horrible LV and VIDEO mode selector.
Horrible layout of front wheel and shutter.
AF/AEL button combined in one like on low-end.
NO TOP DISPLAY and small battery, which will result in 400-500 shots life at best.

Seems to have one memory card slot also..

Nice collectible camera with interesting design, but certainly not a serious hi-end APS-C camera.
"Horrible" (quoted from your post) !!! Obviously, this camera will not be for you!
01-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #903
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
On the surface of it, this looks like a very appealing camera to me. I'm mainly a user of the Limited lenses, so I've never found the Pentax that is quite right, and currently use both the K-5 and the K-01. It looks like this cold replace both bodies.

Some of the pictures include the DA20-40. I wonder if there will be a kit. That would be very tempting for me. I have a feeling the silver one would look just right with my FA77 on it.

About the ISO button, I guess that the idea is most people will want to use the third dial for that, so a button might be redundant. I think I would program the C1, C2, C3 settings for ISO, EV Comp. and SR on/off. I don't understand why they made HDR a permanent item on the dial, though.
If I didn't had the K-1 I'd be very tempted by this KP.

However, I'm unsure if some things weren't sacrificed for downsizing... fewer direct access buttons, smaller battery, where's the IR sensor(s)? What are the full capabilities of the camera? Are they trying to leave room for a more advanced model?
It leaves me a bit puzzled.
01-24-2017, 08:08 AM - 2 Likes   #904
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Some people are complaining for the sake of complaining; the best is to ignore them.
That was to be expected, right ?

01-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #905
Pentaxian

It happens every single time.
The next few weeks to a month will be the most difficult. Then, we'll enter the established routine of discussing an imaginary (and likely, mirrorless) next model.
01-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #906
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
small grip for pancake lens, Med. grip for standard zooms, Large grip for EXPENSIVE LENS =)
I'm excited about the big hand grip insert, I have a ricoh XR sears clone with a big grip and man is it a joy to hold on to. One of the things I like the least about the K-01, hard to hold.
01-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #907
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
If that is with grip and and the handgrip. ......then it is very expensive.
Certainly not cheap, but the IQ / dynamic range / high ISO / AF / continuous shooting performance and various ancillary features are impressive enough, it's not unjustified. I guess we'll know soon enough

01-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #908
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I have said in the past that Pentax needs a camera to match the aesthetics of the limited lenses, looks like they listened, cant wait to see more pics of the camera with limiteds. Pentax will soon/possibly have 4 dslrs in its K-mount line up which pretty awsome.

K-70 Entry Level
K-P Mid-level enthusiast
K-??? High end enthusiast
K-1 Premium full frame

I wonder when we will see the K-???? Hopefully not to long but I feel like it could be a while.
I am a bit concerned about the shutter - if it is not the top-of-the-line model with the quiet shutter and without the aperture-block issues, what is it? I won't go back to the noisy shutter that we don't know has had its issues resolved. Other than that, looks like fun to use. I compared the size of the mount to my ME Super and camera body looks to be not much bigger - maybe about the size of a k-s2. If it has a quiet shutter, I would get it as a replacement for my k-01. Great for limiteds. But of course, the cost is high for a mid-range model...
01-24-2017, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #909
Pentaxian

Interesting looking camera. I guess we'll find out more on Thursday.
01-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #910
Veteran Member

If the content we see on the LCD display is accurate for the camera, then I have to correct myself - either this is not the K3 II's successor, or if it is, it's a massive fail:

- only one SD card slot
- no top display
- no new AF system (27 points, not even the 33 points of the K-1)
- no dedicated ISO button

Does not sound like a top-of-the-line camera to me. More like a new, relatively pricey retro-DSLR line. Surprising to me, but who understands what's going on in the Ricoh peoples' minds ...
01-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #911
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This new camera will appeal to quite a few people, I'm sure (well, I expect it will).
The design is fine ... I'm from the "old school" of the film era.

What people seem to forget is:
- The specs are not all out yet.
- There has been no "hands on" the camera (like a preliminary review).
- There has been no actual testing.

So, until then, there is no real reason to complain about it (apart from the cosmetic aspects) ... wait and see and perhaps there will be some nice surprises buried somewhere in this camera ?
01-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #912

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
From the looks of it, your 'source' was rather correct.

This doesn't appear to be a K-3 II successor though. I must say, while I appreciate the effort on design, I'm not pleased. The ergonomics look horrible. Look where the shutter release button is at and the large grip looks too angular.

But, worst of all, is they removed the top LCD panel!!?? WHAT were you thinking, Ricoh????

I probably would have overlooked the awful ergo just to get that rear tilt screen, had KP retained the top LCD panel. But they removed the one panel that I use every single time I turn on my K-5 II. I turn off the big screen on the back and just use that.

But with this KP body, that is impossible to do.

So now I have a dilemma, to get a K-3 II while I can find one, or wait longer to see when/if Ricoh offer a true K-3 II replacement (and hope they retain a similar K-3 II form).
I think Pentax is sandwiching a separate camera line with the KP.

What they might be doing in take some low end features from the K-70 (battery, less buttons, no LCD, plastic body etc) but have some high end features like extra dial, 27 AF points etc.

This might well be the competition for 70-80D or D7200. While the K-3 II's true successor will be (hopefully ) competing with likes of 7D and D500 with higher burst, buffer & better AF. Maybe this is why the KP isnt getting an update in AF system, whih Pentax could be reserving for the K-3 III.

If all this is true, then it means the KP will be priced between the K-70 & K-3 II. It also could mean then the K-3 III will be made more like the 7D MK III and the D5000 rather than like D7200 or 80D.

So maybe the K-3 line is splitting, just like the 60D,70D,80D is kept separate from the 7D series.

Things will be more clear once we learn the full KP specs and price.

01-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #913
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If I didn't had the K-1 I'd be very tempted by this KP.

However, I'm unsure if some things weren't sacrificed for downsizing... fewer direct access buttons, smaller battery, where's the IR sensor(s)? What are the full capabilities of the camera? Are they trying to leave room for a more advanced model?
It leaves me a bit puzzled.
Probably the replacement for the IR is the Smartphone APP.
01-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #914
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
If the content we see on the LCD display is accurate for the camera, then I have to correct myself - either this is not the K3 II's successor, or if it is, it's a massive fail:

- only one SD card slot
- no top display
- no new AF system (27 points, not even the 33 points of the K-1)
- no dedicated ISO button

Does not sound like a top-of-the-line camera to me. More like a new, relatively pricey retro-DSLR line. Surprising to me, but who understands what's going on in the Ricoh peoples' minds ...
It is another ks1 failed. When Ricoh put their nose on pentax traditional design.
01-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #915
Pentaxian

This is tiny. Remarkably so.

Why three grips?

Essentially you have four bodies in one. I'm expecting the grips to contain and extend function of the body. Added battery is obvious, but second card slot. Maybe a few other things. The base body is a light, small and functional camera. Probably too small for a man's hand, so the small grip makes it comfortable, and adds a battery. The second and third grip add more function up to matching the K3.

We will see.