Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 08:34 AM   #916
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
If the content we see on the LCD display is accurate for the camera, then I have to correct myself - either this is not the K3 II's successor, or if it is, it's a massive fail:

- only one SD card slot
- no top display
- no new AF system (27 points, not even the 33 points of the K-1)
- no dedicated ISO button

Does not sound like a top-of-the-line camera to me. More like a new, relatively pricey retro-DSLR line. Surprising to me, but who understands what's going on in the Ricoh peoples' minds ...
This definitely doesn't look like the K-3II replacement, but more like something that falls in between the K-70 & the next generation APS-C flagship. This looks like a slightly revamped K-3/3II that's slightly watered down in "pro" features, but probably has updated features similar to what Pentax did with the K-70

My guess is the we will see the APS-C flagship either at CP+ or we won't hear anything until next year.

01-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #917
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a question I still haven't seen answered: what could that top left button be for? Is that the icon for automatic horizon correction?

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
But, worst of all, is they removed the top LCD panel!!?? WHAT were you thinking, Ricoh????

I probably would have overlooked the awful ergo just to get that rear tilt screen, had KP retained the top LCD panel. But they removed the one panel that I use every single time I turn on my K-5 II. I turn off the big screen on the back and just use that.

But with this KP body, that is impossible to do.
Personally, I always just used the viewfinder LCD on my K-30 (also turning off the back screen); is it really that much less convenient?
(Only reason I use the top LCD on my 5D now is because the 5D's viewfinder LCD doesn't actually show you everything.)
01-24-2017, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #918
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
This is tiny. Remarkably so.

Why three grips?

Essentially you have four bodies in one. I'm expecting the grips to contain and extend function of the body. Added battery is obvious, but second card slot. Maybe a few other things. The base body is a light, small and functional camera. Probably too small for a man's hand, so the small grip makes it comfortable, and adds a battery. The second and third grip add more function up to matching the K3.

We will see.
I'm not sure I have got your point.

There is one and only battery grip (D-BG7) and there are three interchangeable handgrips (small O-GP167, medium O-GP1671 and large O-GP1672) for the camera body itself.

01-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #919

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
Here's a question I still haven't seen answered: what could that top left button be for? Is that the icon for automatic horizon correction?

Personally, I always just used the viewfinder LCD on my K-30 (also turning off the back screen); is it really that much less convenient?
(Only reason I use the top LCD on my 5D now is because the 5D's viewfinder LCD doesn't actually show you everything.)
I assume it overlays the horizon info in LV...

01-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #920
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
either this is not the K3 II's successor, or if it is, it's a massive fail
I can't quite believe they'd replace the K3II with a camera with such drastic design differences.

It looks more like a handsome walk around DLSR to me.

I did find something I don't like very much though, the frame on the LCD. It looks a bit tacky.. But you'll not be looking at the frame anyways
01-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #921
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
how about the lack of a dedicated LV button?
01-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #922
Pentaxian

There's a switch (OVF/LV/video) for that.

01-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #923
Veteran Member

When Pentax replaced Z1P, it did with MZ-5. It took many years to have the MZ-S, and awesome as it was, it didn't fully replace all the specs of the Z1-P. It seems to me that we are seeing the same. Just like then, to have something superior you have to switch frame format.
01-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #924
Veteran Member

If it's not k3ii as I assume it will be the new pentax style on designing future bodies IMO.
01-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #925

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There's a switch (OVF/LV/video) for that.
That would be HORRIBLY cumbersome. Try to switch AE area on any current pentax DSLR to find how easy is to turn these levers around buttons..
01-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #926

the k3 II is still available and in production

DON'T Panic the k3 II is still available and in production and still for sale.
01-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #927
Veteran Member

i cannot say if i would buy one, but i would not mind my girlfriend having one. win win situation, especially for me
01-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #928
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andymuns Quote
True, but with lower IQ than the K-70 and likely this cam too
01-24-2017, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #929
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andymuns Quote
The following is a comment posted on Pentax Rumors concerning Pentax KP This could be the patent for the "special" battery grip of the Pentax KP | Pentax Rumors
QuoteOriginally posted by Hiro:
Went to Yodobashi camera in Akihabara, their flagship store. The Pentax section used to be really plain and small, but recently Pentax added a whole new very nice section dedicated to Pentax.

The thing is that, the section gets nice display of limited lenses, 645 body and lenses, not to mention new line ups of K1 and K70, but MISSING K-3ii. It had been eradicated from the entire store.

So it's pretty obvious what will come next from this perspective.

01-24-2017, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #930

Nice pentax shop.. if only shops here would look like this...