Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #946

Looks that its not a k3 succesor. And misteriously very expensive for an apsc body (ok, Nikon D500 is the exception, but is not a high end camera since the lack of top lcd screen). The only justification for that price is.....video?? . Last night I dream the KP was 4k, 1080p 120fps and clean hdmi output for a ninja flame and prores 422 color. If the K70 has the sony a6000 sensor...why the KP cant have the a6300 sensor, since a year has come since that sony came to life.

I know...its a dream. But its a nice dream.....Pentax groundbreaking DSLR filmmaking with all those cheap and amazing MF K mount legacy lenses.

01-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #947
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will wait to see featuresverusus price. at the moment i see a bunch of people complaining its not a d500 (well its not 2 grand either) it's not this or that. we don't even know all the confirmed features never-mind having not seen any sort of video review etc.
It actually looks like they listend to the crowd that has been asking for more compact retro design. for me it's a bit of a fail that way, i like the design but for me the xt1 xt2 really have the retro design, the OMD fails imo as well. That said I think with a set of limiteds or even just the pictured 20-40 this is a nice camera with more sophistication that the k70 and leaves room for a k3 replacement to drop into the market with better af etc at say 17-1800 a couple of hundred below the D500 .
I need another body like a hole in the head right now (and would really rather save for a k1 if i was going to buy aa pentax body. but this has some temptations. it may offer me some of the things i miss in the fuji line at proicves more reasonable tha the xpro2 which is my target for next body atm
01-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #948

Photos: Albums
All honestly want is a Pentax APS-C body to use as a second body with me K-1 for my freelance newspaper work. This body seems to mirror some functions and not others, such as:

Positives: These will help me decide whether or not to use it as a second body for my K-1 (as a working photo journalist)

Overall button layout looks similar to the K-1, including Playback, AF-ON, Green Button, AF mode button, FX/2, Additional Control Wheels etc.
Smaller Form factor, but overall similar appearance.
Tilting Screen
5 User Modes on PASM dial
Battery grip option
Proper strap lugs

Negatives: These may impact it as a second body option for the K-1

Unfortunately no top screen for quick checks of shooting information
Slightly fewer buttons on body
Different grip design (not commenting on whether it's better or not, just different to they're flagship model)
LV button moved to dial (not commenting on whether it's better or not, just different to they're flagship model)

Unknowns: If it's to be taken seriously as a work camera, it will need the following

Duel SD card slots are THE priority for security reasons
Magnesium Alloy body also a requirement for durability purposes
Identical batteries between bodies to simplify battery management and to improve battery life
AF expansion system from the K-1 as to cover whole frame

I look forward to the final release as to find out whether or not I can take this seriously as a workhorse camera. FWIW, I think the black version is absolutely stunning!
01-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #949
Pentaxian

Did anyone see where are the IR sensors for remote (K-3 had two)?

01-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #950

Photos: Gallery
This camera gets its design inspiration form the original Pentax SLR the Pentax Ap and it grip idea for the Pentax LX.
01-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #951
Pentaxian

@Joshua A: it's known that the batteries are different between K-1 (D-Li90P) and KP (D-Li109, smaller with smaller capacity).

01-24-2017, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #952
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I look at all these grips, and I can't help but think that somebody at Pentax HQ got himself a 3D printer.
Maybe, but a joke it isn't. They got the idea from the Pentax LX, which had the same kind of removable grip.

01-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #953
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I will wait to see featuresverusus price. at the moment i see a bunch of people complaining its not a d500 (well its not 2 grand either) it's not this or that.
That seems to be the standard reply by some people: "You want a D500." No, we don't want a D500. The D500 has the best AF system in history, and we know Pentax won't be able to do that within a decade. We want a D7200. We want an improvement of the K3, just as the K3 was an improvement of the K5. That is not a lot to ask for, and not something that should cost two grand.
01-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #954
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
That seems to be the standard reply by some people: "You want a D500." No, we don't want a D500. The D500 has the best AF system in history, and we know Pentax won't be able to do that within a decade. We want a D7200. We want an improvement of the K3, just as the K3 was an improvement of the K5. That is not a lot to ask for, and not something that should cost two grand.
Pentax's "D7200" is the K-3 II.
01-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #955
Veteran Member

Why would someone want to buy a new camera with the same AF system as four years ago, only one SD slot etc., all for the same price?
Same reasoning, (though different reasons), that someone would purchase a K3-II instead of a K-3. The KP has an articulating screen, which
the K-3 & K-3II both lack. I'm sure there will be other differences as well. The desire for an 'everything in one' camera, (which also manages
to satisfy disparate wants), to satisfy every shooter will just have to wait for another day.

It's still early days so still too early to know exactly what's in the box. It's clear the KP is not the expected/wanted K3-III but that doesn't
mean it's a bad camera. Just have to wait and see.
01-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #956
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Maybe, but a joke it isn't. They got the idea from the Pentax LX, which had the same kind of removable grip.
Ricoh makes 3D printers, FTR.
However... I agree, this isn't a joke. I'm not sure if it would matter on the market - but having a small body which could become large enough so you could held it comfortably?
Too bad we have to pay with a smaller battery (but let's see if the KP isn't more energy efficient).
01-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #957
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 'real' K5 replacement was the K3. It offered all the features of the K5 and more, for a similar price, and had a very similar look (to most it actually looks almost identical). So I don't understand why you find it ludicrous that the K3's 'real' successor couldn't do that?
Except that that's not what some people said at the time - they howled about the 24MP sensor having different high-ISO behavior from the 16MP, and demanded exactly the same thing - a "real" replacement for the K-5. It took months for them to accept that they would have to change their workflow. I think some never did. What I find ludicrous is the cliche of a "real successor" or "real replacement" - why are the "real" cameras always imaginary?
01-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #958
Pentaxian

The KP looks like a very nice camera for upper-end users. It certainly addresses some of the biggest complaints about the K1 & K-3ii such as lack of built-in flash, overall size, and price. People have been calling for a return to Pentax' roots as a maker of non-massive DSLRs and this answers that call. The removable/interchangeable hand grip looks especially brilliant for making a smaller camera comfortable for the widest range of users. We'll see if the smaller battery really is a problem -- if Pentax has improved the energy efficiency of various subsystems, the shots/charge might still be competitive.

Yet I can understand that some are disappointed this is not a full-on Pro APS-C replacement of the K3. If I had to guess, Ricoh probably saw K3ii sales plummet during the introduction of the K-1 and then never recover. Although a few people certainly do specifically want Pro APS-C (normhead provides very good arguments for this) and some K-3ii sales continued after the K-1, they may have been too small a niche to support the costs of developing and launching a new body.

Of course, who knows what Ricoh is up to (besides Kenspo & Asahiman).
01-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #959
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Ricoh makes 3D printers, FTR.
However... I agree, this isn't a joke. I'm not sure if it would matter on the market - but having a small body which could become large enough so you could held it comfortably?
Too bad we have to pay with a smaller battery (but let's see if the KP isn't more energy efficient).
I admit to making a bit of a joke, but don't the best jokes contain a grain of truth?

I think it is smart of Pentax to make multiple grips for this camera - there is a decent 3rd party grip business for mirrorless cameras. But the exposed screwhead gives these Pentax grips a bit of an unfinished look, at those they were made by enthusiasts rather than first party. But I'm looking at only pictures, perhaps "in the flesh" the grips will seem better.
01-24-2017, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #960
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The KP looks like a very nice camera for upper-end users. It certainly addresses some of the biggest complaints about the K1 & K-3ii such as lack of built-in flash, overall size, and price. People have been calling for a return to Pentax' roots as a maker of non-massive DSLRs and this answers that call. The removable/interchangeable hand grip looks especially brilliant for making a smaller camera comfortable for the widest range of users. We'll see if the smaller battery really is a problem -- if Pentax has improved the energy efficiency of various subsystems, the shots/charge might still be competitive.

Yet I can understand that some are disappointed this is not a full-on Pro APS-C replacement of the K3. If I had to guess, Ricoh probably saw K3ii sales plummet during the introduction of the K-1 and then never recover. Although a few people certainly do specifically want Pro APS-C (normhead provides very good arguments for this) and some K-3ii sales continued after the K-1, they may have been too small a niche to support the costs of developing and launching a new body.

Of course, who knows what Ricoh is up to (besides Kenspo & Asahiman).
The KP reminds me a bit of the Olympus PEN-F released last year, not in appearance but perhaps in its mission. Folks who refused to accept the PEN-F on its own terms bashed it, too.