Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 819 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #1006
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
No, it's the D7100. And even that has a much better AF system than any past of current Pentax camera, just as The Squirrel Mafia writes:
The K-3 II followed the K-3, just as the D7200 followed the D7100.

This is what you wrote: "We want a D7200. We want an improvement of the K3, just as the K3 was an improvement of the K5." The K-3 II was an improvement over the K-3. The improvement of the K-3 II was in a different fashion than the improvement of the D7200 over the D7100.

I'm not disputing the D7100/D7200 has faster AF than Pentax. But just because the nature of the K-3 II's improvement over the K-3 is not what you wanted, it does not delegitimize the K-3 II's role as the D7200 to the K-3's D7100.

01-24-2017, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #1007
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This reminds me of the Olympus EM5. Not quite flagship, a little smaller, few fewer features, unique and neat, rugged build and a little cheaper. I dunno, looks good to me.
01-24-2017, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #1008
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There might be no direct K-3II replacement.
I worry this may be true...
Perhaps Pentax sees their market moving towards FF focus for professional cameras and KP lineage for enthusiasts.

Again, only time will tell!

If this is true, I worry my next upgrade will be a Nikon D500.
I'm in the category with other Pentax shooters here that there is certainly a market for a Pro-level APS-C body.
01-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #1009
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I've been following this thread since the beginning.
You said "It has already been announced that this camera is the next in line for the high end APS-C line, a successor to the K5, K3 line."

There have been no sources stating that the KP is definitively a successor to the K5, K3 line...

*sigh*

QuoteOriginally posted by shakereduced Quote
The original source (Nokishita-Camera.com) who uncovered the KP registration tweeted a couple more KP things a few days ago. Unless Google's translation is wrong (Twitter's built in translation is unintelligible), it sounds like this will replace the K3ii. I can't tell from Google's translation whether he says a silver KP will be announced now or at a later date. The translations from Google are:

"Confirmation of Pentax KP's coming soon. It is a class equivalent to K - 5 and K - 3 II on the merchandise classification, and it is not an entry model such as K - S2 or K - 70.# Quick News # Rumor"

"Confirm that Pentax KP and a new battery grip D - BG 7 will be announced next week. Silver (number unknown is unknown) is likely to be announced together (undetermined) this time. # Follow-up # rumor"

????????? (@nokishita_c) on Twitter

There have been multiple posts by others supporting this. Can't get much more definitive that that, save for an official announcement from Ricoh.

01-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #1010

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
To say that "Nikon will disappoint you in landscapes" is lolworthy. What are you shooting with right now?
Dont have nikon gear

my point is not about Dynamic range or lens availability - thats very good.

My point was regarding the D7200. - delabreaker

It does not have any articulation for its screen.

the re is no focus peaking, zebra.

no aperture change in live view - dealbreaker

no histogram.

Overall nikon's live view is bad, maybe the FF series d750 onwards are good and D500 (still no histogram there), alsom not sure about electronic level in D7200. I'd really like to have a good live view performance and also functionality. Pentax is a killer here, just the way Nikon is in fast action.

just hope D7300 fixes these things - would be a good deal for me.
01-24-2017, 11:52 AM - 2 Likes   #1011
Pentaxian

I have spoken with one of the lucky guys who have tried the camera.

Just wait to hold it and try it too before coming to early conclusions.

I won't reveal any details as they will be announced soon but be optimistic that this is a camera that is also well based on those characteristics that made Pentax stand out of the crowd. What concerns me though are those leaks about pricing...
01-24-2017, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #1012
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The shocked you shall be. It has already been announced that this camera is the next in line for the high end APS-C line, a successor to the K5, K3 line.
When did that happen? Where's that press release BEFORE the camera has been officially shown?

Maybe I should have stayed away from this thread after all...

01-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #1013
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
*sigh*

There have been multiple posts by others supporting this. Can't get much more definitive that that, save for an official announcement from Ricoh.
*sigh*

You can quote as many posts as you'd like. But nothing is definitive until Ricoh releases a statement in a few days.

And equivalent in class doesn't mean class successor, fyi.

---------- Post added 01-24-17 at 02:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
When did that happen? Where's that press release BEFORE the camera has been officially shown?

Maybe I should have stayed away from this thread after all...
Exactly...
I think I need to just leave and come back on Thursday.
01-24-2017, 12:02 PM - 2 Likes   #1014
Veteran Member

Are you purposely ignoring the areas where the D7100 is much inferior to the K-3 series cameras, or you just don't know about them? 6 frames buffer? Really?
I am not ignoring them - I think all things combined, both cameras are equal. The Pentax has in-body stabilisation etc., better ergonomics, whereas the Nikon has a more sophisticated flash system, slightly better image quality, and a better AF system.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The K-3 II followed the K-3, just as the D7200 followed the D7100.

This is what you wrote: "We want a D7200. We want an improvement of the K3, just as the K3 was an improvement of the K5." The K-3 II was an improvement over the K-3. The improvement of the K-3 II was in a different fashion than the improvement of the D7200 over the D7100.

I'm not disputing the D7100/D7200 has faster AF than Pentax. But just because the nature of the K-3 II's improvement over the K-3 is not what you wanted, it does not delegitimize the K-3 II's role as the D7200 to the K-3's D7100.
The D7200 was a proper update of the D7100, with a new and better sensor, processor, video and connectivity (WiFi). The K3 II only got GPS, pixelshift and a minor software update to the AF system, but in turn lost the built-in flash. I think objectively the D7100 and K3 are equal, whereas the D7200 is clearly a better camera than the K3 II.
01-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #1015
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
This reminds me of the Olympus EM5. Not quite flagship, a little smaller, few fewer features, unique and neat, rugged build and a little cheaper. I dunno, looks good to me.
and with a better sensor than the EM5 by miles
i don't even know what sensor it will be for certain and i can be sure of that (I shot the EM5 for 2 weeks before opting for the Fuji)
\
01-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #1016
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I worry this may be true...
Perhaps Pentax sees their market moving towards FF focus for professional cameras and KP lineage for enthusiasts.

Again, only time will tell!

If this is true, I worry my next upgrade will be a Nikon D500.
I'm in the category with other Pentax shooters here that there is certainly a market for a Pro-level APS-C body.
Well, I'm not worried - I'm rather curious; and so should you. What exactly are they planning for the K-mount? Maybe the old strategy couldn't allow for a true APS-C flagship, maybe they're stepping up their game.
01-24-2017, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #1017
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... so after browsing the last 30 pages or so, and looking at the rumored photos - along with the suggested price tag of $1,300
  • I don't understand the current naming convention in use - K-s2, K70, KP......
  • I don't understand the visual features as they compare to the existing models - K-s2, K70...
  • I'll wait till the specs, features, capabilities and performance and what ever Pentax has to say - or not say, as the case may be.
  • As a set of images, not what I was wanting, not what I was expecting, not impressed..... but I'll withhold judgement....
My K5IIs still takes wonderful images - and can easily go another 5 years - at least. I get the feeling that there is no K3II replacement in the ASP-c sensor size.

Last edited by interested_observer; 01-24-2017 at 12:22 PM.
01-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #1018
Veteran Member

Well, I'm not worried - I'm rather curious; and so should you. What exactly are they planning for the K-mount? Maybe the old strategy couldn't allow for a true APS-C flagship, maybe they're stepping up their game.
Oh I'm certainly curious!
I'm having no issues in the field, and I know my gear suits my needs now.

I guess it's just frustrating to see that AF system technologies exist beyond what I'm used to, and I want to experience that in my Pentax gear.

WR is a necessity for me though... So I guess a hit on AF performance is the compromise for now.
01-24-2017, 12:30 PM - 5 Likes   #1019
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Frankly this looks like a very weird camera. The retro design is cool I guess, as are the hand grips, but the user interface looks like a step back in terms of usability. No top LCD, awkward front e-dial, and a super-sparse settings dial. What's the point of it when there's room for more settings, especially when you lose the top LCD? It looks like there's no Wi-Fi or GPS, either. It also looks like the main LCD could be about half an inch bigger.

That said, maybe there's a redeeming factor in the official specs, so we'll just have to wait until then! But for now this looks like a stripped-down K-1 to me, and more of a one-off model than a K-3 II replacement.

One nice thing: the flash is back!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2017, 12:31 PM - 2 Likes   #1020
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
27 AF points
When all you need is one!