Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #1051

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
I do not know whether this has been discussed already, but what does this stand for?
Horizon Level? - Okay.
But 'Fx2'?
It's a second programmable function button. The first is the "Raw/Fx" button near the flash button on the side of the camera. The K-1 also has the Fx2 button functionality, on the bottom button of the four way d pad.

01-24-2017, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #1052
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I did a very quick and dirty size comparison scaling the mount.

hires at https://filebin.net/oly3s61lxkktkimq/pentaxKPvsK3.png
01-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #1053
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
I do not know whether this has been discussed already, but what does this stand for?
Horizon Level? - Okay.
But 'Fx2'?
I guessed automatic horizon correction, but if it actually brings up the electronic level on the rear screen, that would be even better. No idea about "Fx2" though, unless that's just how Ricoh spells "Fn2".
01-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #1054
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
good analysis of its target. I have the XT1 and it is a great travel camera, I wish it had the 20-40 as part of that kit it is an ideal short zoom (or that they made the 18-55 in wr because the 16-50 is too cumbersome as good as it is)
Thank you. I have had a very serious look at the Fuji XT-2 for a travel camera. As you say the Pentax 20-40 is an ideal WR short zoom. The 2 Fuji zooms 18-55 and 55-200 are both not WR, but I expect they will update them soon enough, based on what they are doing with the prime updating.

Pentax is still ahead with regard to having IBIS, and the advantages that brings. In the final analysis I still think Pentax meets my needs well. If the KP is what I think it is, even better.

What I have been impressed with is how quickly Fuji have build out a range of high quality WR primes. I

01-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #1055
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Thank you. I have had a very serious look at the Fuji XT-2 for a travel camera. As you say the Pentax 20-40 is an ideal WR short zoom. The 2 Fuji zooms 18-55 and 55-200 are both not WR, but I expect they will update them soon enough, based on what they are doing with the prime updating.

Pentax is still ahead with regard to having IBIS, and the advantages that brings. In the final analysis I still think Pentax meets my needs well. If the KP is what I think it is, even better.

What I have been impressed with is how quickly Fuji have build out a range of high quality WR primes. I
well they do have a history of very good lenses , but yes to get out the collectiuon they did in the short time they did was quite impressive. I really miss IBIS, the only zooms i have I bought for my wife (the XC) and they stabilise ok and are actually decent enough but the 18-55 i tried was really very good. good enough the 16-55 could be overlooked when you have the primes. I'm going to start collecting the F2 wr primes (I have the 23/35/56 already ut WR and smaller would be nice. the same goes for the limiteds on the KP I could see owning it with the 21/40/70 but no WR, the 20-40 does that of course so 20-40 and the 70...HMMMMM, judicious used lens shopping would make it cheaper than getting the XT2 w the 35/2..)
01-24-2017, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #1056
Pentaxian

I loved the lay-out with all the dials. It looks very useful. And it can be made to be a "serious" camera with the grip. I really like that. Small when you need to, and have the extra capacity (card, battery) when you want to be a bit more serious. I think it's a great idea.
01-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #1057
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Positives:
+ Changable grip sizes
+ Flippable screen (slim lightweight type)
+ Probably Wifi and/or GPS in the thing on the top, shown in the flash up image
+ Gorgeous silver version

Negatives:
- No top LCD
- Five wheels is one too much
- D-Li109
- Miniature flash (Is it a joke or a cipa battery test cheat trick?)

01-24-2017, 02:05 PM   #1058
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The settings dial could be an improvement on the K-1 one because of what I assume are user configurable c1, c2, c3 settings. This completely changes things compared to the K-1 don't you think?

I could also imagine the front e-dial working quite well. It sticks out a fair bit in such a way I imagine you can scroll it almost like a horisontal one. Plus with smaller bodies the way you hold the camera changes, at least with me the hands become more vertical which might again suit the arrangement of dials and buttons. I'm looking forward to trying it!

They should have photographed it with the da 21ltd or the 70ltd it's a camera for us limited shooters! (the zoom is barely a limited right...)
That's an interesting point and I guess it depends on what they'll let you customize.

But why not just have 5 C's since there's so much more room?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2017, 02:05 PM   #1059
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I'm going to start collecting the F2 wr primes (I have the 23/35/56 already ut WR and smaller would be nice. the same goes for the limiteds on the KP I could see owning it with the 21/40/70 but no WR, the 20-40 does that of course so 20-40 and the 70...HMMMMM, judicious used lens shopping would make it cheaper than getting the XT2 w the 35/2..)
I have the 21/40/70 Limiteds. Last year when I was in US, Canada and UK I found I was very happy with the 20-40, it basically didn't come off the camera. Sean Reid (Reid Reviews) wrote a very interesting review of the DA 20-40 a while back where he suggested it is the SLR equivalent of the Leica Tri-Elmar. High praise.

I am travelling to Europe this year, and I am thinking I will take a 3 lens kit - the DA 20-40, the DA*55 and the HD DA 55-300. I will probably chuck the DA 15 in just in case I need wider than the zoom. An alternative to the DA*55 would be the DA 70, but not WR and not as fast. The choices we make

To me when travelling WR just gives so much more options if the weather isn't flash.

I have a good sharp copy of the DA 20-40 and I am very happy with what it is giving me as a wide zoom, I did a review of it here of PF
01-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #1060
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
I guessed automatic horizon correction, but if it actually brings up the electronic level on the rear screen, that would be even better. No idea about "Fx2" though, unless that's just how Ricoh spells "Fn2".
Fx2 is just a customizable button, like on the K-1.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #1061
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I did a very quick and dirty size comparison scaling the mount.

hires at https://filebin.net/oly3s61lxkktkimq/pentaxKPvsK3.png
the major problem from what i understand is not the height and width, but the dept. mirorless designs gain portability by reducing registratin distance by removing the prism housing. my personal opinion is that most cameras are smaller than they should be height and width wise. my k3 should be, for my hands, about 3 cm taller
01-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #1062
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The back button layout and 4-way controller arrangement are more like the "plastic" midrange bodies than the "metal" flagships. If the K-70 is a K-S2 crossbred with a K-3II, the KP looks like a K-70 crossed with a K-1, with some more K-3 thrown in. (But which shutter? The bump to the left of the mirror box housing is promising - K-7/5/3s have that bump, but not K-30/50/S2/70s)
01-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #1063
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
As long as it works as a wireless P-TTL controller, that's good enough for me.
(Does fill flash from a built-in flash ever look good?)
01-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #1064
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Positives:
+ Changable grip sizes
+ Flippable screen (slim lightweight type)
+ Probably Wifi and/or GPS in the thing on the top, shown in the flash up image
+ Gorgeous silver version

Negatives:
- No top LCD
- Five wheels is one too much
- D-Li109
Maybe that battery to keep the weight down? The grip will otherwise help with any potential power issues.

Adam

01-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #1065
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Has to be, it had to be registered as a wi-fi device in Indonesia. Maybe some function not printed on the top dial yet?
I hope you're right!

Adam