Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 819 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 05:46 AM   #1186

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Except for the K-1 SAFOX, you are describing the K3. That would be the most minor update imaginable I think the K-1 SAFOX won't do, I'm with anu I.

No way!

BSI RGBW CMOS will be total overkill.. certainly nothing near the 24mpix CMOS in K3

find something about RGBW first .)

01-25-2017, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #1187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa Lazarou Quote
YMMV of course, but I want a tangible upgrade - not gimmicks.
I'd personally be happy if they stick to 24MP, but substantially upgrade everything else - AF, RGB metering, video etc.
01-25-2017, 05:53 AM   #1188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'd personally be happy if they stick to 24MP, but substantially upgrade everything else - AF, RGB metering, video etc.
They should upgrade the image quality too though. High ISO performance and dynamic range have remained pretty much unchanged since the K5.

In other news, a German online store has released the official European price. €1,299 body only, no kit versions. A little steep in my opinion, I don't know how many Ricoh can sell of these ...
01-25-2017, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #1189

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
They should upgrade the image quality too though. High ISO performance and dynamic range have remained pretty much unchanged since the K5.

In other news, a German online store has released the official European price. €1,299 body only, no kit versions. A little steep in my opinion, I don't know how many Ricoh can sell of these ...

You know.. Ricoh tries hard to burry Pentax... maybe the drop in market share will be higher this year

With Tamron and Sigma leaving K mount it certainly won't rise at all..

01-25-2017, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #1190
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote

asahiman and Kenspo both stated that the KP is NOT a K-3ii replacement.
I'll take their word.
I think after reading the specs and seeing the pictures this must be clear to everyonve even without insiders´ confirmation. As soon as I saw no top plate LCD, 1/6000s, no HDMI, probably one SD card slot etc. it was clear to me this is not an APSC flagship. I, like many here, will wait for a real K-3 II successor.
01-25-2017, 06:05 AM   #1191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
I think after reading the specs and seeing the pictures this must be clear to everyonve even without insiders´ confirmation. As soon as I saw no top plate LCD, 1/6000s, no HDMI, probably one SD card slot etc. it was clear to me this is not an APSC flagship. I, like many here, will wait for a real K-3 II successor.
Oh I know.
This wasn't ever the K-3ii replacement; from the first images leaked.
I was following up on another post where someone insisted it was the K-3ii successor... He had an arrogant stand on it too so I just wanted to bring the conversation to a close.
01-25-2017, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #1192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At $1100 it's a pointless exercise IMO. I strongly suspect the KP will be a poor seller. Pentax should be pulling their resources into cameras that are a significant upgrade on their current models. This clearly isn't that. The K-70 is still relatively new. We're told KP isn't a K-3 replacement. It isn't mirrorless or micro 4/3 - so why do it?

For the record I may sound like a whiny old git, but the KP is the first Pentax product I ever recall complaining about on here. I'm usually very pro Pentax. Just suppose I want them to catch CaNikon in the areas where they are found lacking. I think the KP is a distraction from what Pentax should be working towards. Please feel free to disagree with me.

01-25-2017, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #1193
a5m
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
This also means the K-3 series will need to make a much more capable successor that what the K-3 II was to the K-3 (better AF (50+ points), better tracking in AF-C, better deeper buffer with faster clearing (pentax is awful here), thumbstick, 9-10FPS burst, UHS II or XQD).
The 5 year old SAFOX X is still being used in the newly released K-70.

The 4 year old SAFOX XI is still being used in the upcoming KP.

And you want the less-than-a-year old SAFOX XII in the K-1 (top-of-the-line DSLR offering from Pentax) to be upgraded by 150%+ within a year and put into the new flagship APS-C body?

01-25-2017, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #1194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote

And you want the less-than-a-year old SAFOX XII in the K-1 (top-of-the-line DSLR offering from Pentax) to be upgraded by 150%+ within a year and put into the new flagship APS-C body?
Maybe not 150%
But, I mean... Yeah.

FF DSLR isn't everything. Many of us have no desire to leave APS-C, so why hold back on development?
Not saying it's likely, but a SAFOX XIII would be nice in the K-3ii successor, whenever that may be.
01-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #1195
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think this will sit between the k-70 and the k-3II,(replacement). A lot of us have asked if we can have a reduction in camera size and some have asked for a retro. I believe Ricoh listened to us and this is the outcome. It's just that it is difficult to please everyone. I guess that's the way things are with people. We all have our differences and companies like Ricoh will just have to take some risk to come up with a good product.
Personally I'm more concerned of it's performance. As to the way it looks, as I've said before, it looks like a dashing camera.
01-25-2017, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #1196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
It's just that it is difficult to please everyone. I guess that's the way things are with people.
I'm just guessing, but I suspect that Pentaxians are a tad more individualistic than the people who buy Canikony. Thus, we're bound to have wildly differing opinions about what our ideal camera would look like.
01-25-2017, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #1197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
You know.. Ricoh tries hard to burry Pentax... maybe the drop in market share will be higher this year

Pentax Is Doomed TM again,

I don't see them trying to bury pentax , at least not here , i don't expect them to be canikon, if i wanted canikon i would just buy it.

yes upgraded AF is needed, i think to expect an upgrade on the top AF in the most expensive camera to show up in the step down is unrealistic, for k1 af to step down is a realistic assumption, .
01-25-2017, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #1198

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote

You are right as far as Tamron & Sigma are concerned, I want Pentax, but disappointing 3rd party support pushes me towards Nikon & Canon.
01-25-2017, 06:54 AM   #1199
Veteran Member

So does it mean we will not get any insight into a K-3 replacement until February?

No rumors or leaks?
01-25-2017, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #1200
OTH

This KP is a total mess. The build quality is poor entry level but the price is "Pro". The design is poor, this is neither Retro nor K-Style and Pentax did everything to save money at this body.
Who should buy this if you can get a 80D for example for far less money but with a far better AF-System and who should buy this if you can get a FF D610 for the same price-tag ?