Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 819 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #1276
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Of course we cannot pass a final verdict on the camera yet, but there are aspects that don't necessitate picking the camera up at all. There is no top LCD. The camera is not metal. There is no second SD slot. There is no big AF improvement, es hoped for, and no minor improvement, as suspected by others, there is no change at all.

That, to me (and many others, it appears), is disappointment enough.
And the price is a disappointment to me - but not every camera issued by every company will be appropriate for every one of us.

01-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #1277
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
... but not every camera issued by every company will be appropriate for every one of us.
The problem is, the reactions on the German DSLR Forum, and both here on PF and DPReview are overwhelmingly negative (very different from the K3 or K-1, which were met with enthusiasm upon their announcement).

People in other parts of the world, particularly Japan, would have to have a completely different mindset from the rest of us to make this camera a success.
01-25-2017, 04:55 PM   #1278
Pentaxian

Mike Tompkins also mentioned tethering as a new feature.
01-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #1279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OTH Quote
they say parts are alloy body, the top cover is ordinary plastic. This is no longer a full metal body and no one confirmed that it is magnesium. It could be Alumnium because it's a way cheaper.
Zero issues with alloy, or even aluminium, but 700g? I have trouble believing that weight number.

01-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #1280
Veteran Member

The problem is, the reactions on the German DSLR Forum, and both here on PF and DPReview are overwhelmingly negative (very different from the K3 or K-1, which were met with enthusiasm upon their announcement).

People in other parts of the world, particularly Japan, would have to have a completely different mindset from the rest of us to make this camera a success.
Pentax KP - heir to K3 or heir to sorrows? You decide. It certainly seems as if something of an argument is brewing over whether this is in fact as good as Pentax APS-C will now get. If one believes the American marketing position on Dpreview then it easily may be but the position from some insiders and the press release used by a couple of U.K. sites is not in agreement with that.
01-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #1281
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Thats correct..I said zooms 2016 and primes 2017
Well.. hrmm.. I was rather sure you alluded to prime 'lenses' arriving in 2016 sometime in a post from late 2015 or very early 2016.

However, in light of no proof I apologize for the 'accusation' and will drop it. Sorry!
01-25-2017, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #1282
Veteran Member

Frankly, I think we will get a final clarification by CP+ at the latest. There are traditionally interview with Ricoh Imaging at the show, and I am sure PF or DPR will specifically ask where this camera sits in the line-up.

01-25-2017, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #1283
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Yeah dp review is speculating, as for the price $1500 seems high in Canada but I also know once k3ii are flushed through the pipeline and the new one is launching prices will adjust
Launch price rarely holds more than 6 months
And doing this protects dealers with stock of older models
DPR is not speculating. This is what the Ricoh guys told him when they spoke. The editor mentions this in one of the comments sections on one of the front page articles for the KP.
01-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #1284
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
DPR is not speculating. This is what the Ricoh guys told him when they spoke. The editor mentions this in one of the comments sections on one of the front page articles for the KP.

Context read where my post was read where that info came from, it also was said there may still be a higher model coming
If I'm a salesman from Ricoh I'm going to say yep this is it buy now maybe something will come but no guarantee this is the one.... I spent more than a quarter century in sales in the ce industry and no-one is going to come out and say another model is coming unless authorized by Japan, it was an American rep so no guarantee he even knows

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2017 at 19:17 ----------

And I think at is it for me is is to much like p&r with people whining it's not this it's not that, frankly your opinions mean little to me, all that matters is what does it feel like how is e performance , can it fill a need for me.... if yes here is my cash if no we'll save my pennies for k1, by a k3ii before they are gone, leave the brand or live with what I have (the last one always works for my wife lol)
Tirrah folks
01-25-2017, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #1285
Forum Member

Lower Price

The price in the press release is lower than Amazon - $1099, which is what B&H and Adorama show. Good, already came down $100! Haha, still a bit expensive. I may get it if it doesn't have the noisy shutter (I know that sounds trivial, but it is annoying to me).

QuoteOriginally posted by GearHead Quote
01-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #1286
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Context read where my post was read where that info came from, it also was said there may still be a higher model coming
If I'm a salesman from Ricoh I'm going to say yep this is it buy now maybe something will come but no guarantee this is the one.... I spent more than a quarter century in sales in the ce industry and no-one is going to come out and say another model is coming unless authorized by Japan, it was an American rep so no guarantee he even knows
Then your quarter century of sales should also see the verbiage provided for this KP model could be alarming to those looking for a true K-3 II replacement. It appears as if this is all there is. Top of the line for APS-C K mount, End of the line.
01-25-2017, 05:47 PM - 2 Likes   #1287
Pentaxian

I'm not quite sure that is true. I've never seen Pentax fans positive - they always want more; sometimes that comes right away, and sometimes it takes a few weeks, but they will find a cloud around every silver lining. The K-3ii was met by a barrage of "inadequate video; deal-breaker" and "no OnBoard Flash; deal-breaker". Reception for the K-1 was more positive, because so many had been waiting for something, anything, FF, but very shortly we were hearing more "inadequate video; deal-breaker" and "I want a lower priced variant". If Pentax really is thinking in terms of a four-product lineup {APS-C and FF}, then I'd expect maybe one-fourth of the group here to be enthused about this camera, and shouts of "off with their heads" from the discontented always seem to be louder than the sound of others rifling through their wallets to see if we can come up with the required funds. I don't know whether this camera will meet the goals Pentax has set for it - in fact - I don't necessarily expect to know what those goals are, but I really think we need to have this camera in the hands of at least a few regular users before we judge it.

The people who work for Pentax must be really discouraged. There is no way they could have met even a fraction of the expectations stated in this thread.
01-25-2017, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #1288
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
All this theory, conjecture, speculation, guessing, whatever.

No more need to guess.

Go straight to the source.

PENTAX KP

Guess this thread can now fade into obscurity.
01-25-2017, 05:54 PM   #1289
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was about to say the same thing, LOL!
01-25-2017, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #1290
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Full specs here: Pentax KP - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications