Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Or untreatable focus issues in artificial light (K-r/K-5), or aperture control failures (K-30/K-50) ... But I was under the impression that Canon also had their fair share of problems (1D Mk III focus issues, 70D focus issues).
All brands suffer a failure rate in the 4% range under warranty in my experience. that is in part why they offer warranties . sometimes there are exceptional failures (just ask Toyota) but all camera brands are generally very reliable now.

01-17-2017, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
In which industry it happens "all the time"?
Buy a high priced car and watch the service/repair bills grow down the road.....or.......ever had a wife? You talk about investment expense! That ring, no matter what it cost, is not even a scratch on the surface of your coming expense!

After that lesson is learned....have a few kids....if that doesn't teach you about after-purchase expense, you are beyond help!
Regards!
01-17-2017, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #138
Pentaxian

So you agree that it doesn't happen in the camera industry

Oh, the 3 rings of marriage: the engagement ring, the wedding ring, and the suffering
01-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kunzite, stop trying to cheer people up.

01-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I don't think that is so easy:
  • your points do not cover the lens trends
  • the trends were there the year before already
  • the 5d4 was only available for about 1/4 of 2016.
  • the 5d4 price level is so high I would not expect it to have any significant impact on unit sales based market share
But yes, the 80D and less impact from the earthquake certainly helped.
Talking about market shares in a Pentax forum is really funny.
01-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #141
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Or untreatable focus issues in artificial light (K-r/K-5), or aperture control failures (K-30/K-50) ... But I was under the impression that Canon also had their fair share of problems (1D Mk III focus issues, 70D focus issues).
Canon also had a shutter in one of their high end pro models that would cover the sensor and sometimes scratch the sensor between it and the shutter with pieces of the left over shutter and they did nothing to fix the problem other than replace the model and the same thing would happen again,
01-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You, my friend, must not have been on these forums long enough, or read enough threads, to see the self-criticism and pessimism.

Let me send you a 'Pentax Is Doomed' T-shirt ... size 'M' okay?
Oh but isn't all of that merely in jest? Are you telling me people here really are expecting the end of the world?

Oh, and I'm a Large.

Last edited by Zephos; 01-18-2017 at 06:07 PM.
01-18-2017, 11:49 PM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

Let's go now from qualitative from quantitative. You pointed out yourself the consolidated sales of the 'Other' division during the first half of Ricoh's financial year, i.e. from April to September 2016: JPY 56.912 billion, of which JPY 48.300 billion in Japan and JPY 8.612 billion overseas.

Let's have a look at the CIPA figures for Japan and for the same period (obtained by subtracting the January-March figures from the January-September figures):

- Shipments of ILCs (DSLRs and mirrorless): JPY 29.415 billion
- Shipments of interchangeable lenses: JPY 25.884 billion
- Total: JPY 55.300 billion.

In other words, the sales of Ricoh's 'Other' division in Japan represented 87 per cent. of the sales of ILCs and lenses by all Japanese camera makers (Ricoh Imaging included)!

Under this circumstances, how could one draw any conclusion regarding the Pentax activity in Japan from the figures of the 'Other' division?

By the way, the same kind of calculation shows that the market share of Pentax outside Japan is less than 2.3 per cent ("less than" because there is more in the JPY 8.612 billion sales of the 'Other' division outside Japan than Pentax; Theta sales for instance).
Exactly, @Mistral75.

I think JPT and I are both pointing out the hazards of your modelling.

Again, with respect, you have no idea of either domestic or international market share, neither do I. These are guarded figures by all the corporations.

BCN won't be a valid source of it, anymore than the Amazon, or Kukudo (or whatever that electronics product sales chart is called), so don't try to combine it with CIPA figures.

But we have to agree that the 'Other' Division - whatever the camera/lens contribution, the only profitable part of Ricoh at the moment - derives nearly all its income from Japan, not overseas.

01-18-2017, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
Oh but isn't all of that merely in jest? Are you telling me people here really are expecting the end of the world?.
Oh, yes, Zephos. There's a lot of negativity. Luckily, the release of the K-1 let the air out of the tyres of some guys who were borderline trolls, to be honest, and Pentaxians, who I actually find to be a slightly downcast, melancholic people, lifted their heads a little.

You will also find heavy - and useful/valid criticism - of Pentax's historical approach to video, new FF zooms being released without corresponding primes, the reliability of older lenses with SDM motors and aperture motors in the entry level models, etc ... I think really you haven't read enough of what your fellow forum members have to say.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
Oh, and I'm a Large.
Good to know.

Being Pentax, tbey ought to make them in hundreds of ill-advised colours.

Last edited by clackers; 01-19-2017 at 03:59 AM.
01-19-2017, 01:43 AM   #145
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
3 rings of marriage
and the suffering
Ha Ha
01-19-2017, 05:01 AM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(...)

But we have to agree that the 'Other' Division - whatever the camera/lens contribution, the only profitable part of Ricoh at the moment - derives nearly all its income from Japan, not overseas.
Indeed but we can agree on more than that, for instance:

- the 'Other' division is a minor part of Ricoh activities
- the sales under the Pentax brand are a minor part of the 'Other' division.

Considering the latter, I would add that any attempt of deducing the trends in Pentax sales and profitability from an analysis of the figures published about the 'Other' division is more than hazardous: it's doomed to failure.
01-19-2017, 05:46 AM   #147
Pentaxian

- there are other parts of the 'Other' group which could be very Japanese-centric, for example the Leasing business. It doesn't take much - just 2 major Japanese-centric divisions - to completely skew our guesstimations of an almost Japan-only Ricoh Imaging below the 50% threshold.

The only real information is:
"Other
Sales in the Other segment increased by 6.0% as compared to the previous corresponding period, to 56.9 billion due to the increase in
income and profit in the
Leasing business and Camera business."
01-19-2017, 05:58 AM   #148
Pentaxian

Yes but even the Camera business trends are not necessarily representative of the Pentax trends: the former includes Theta sales and contribution, the latter doesn't.
01-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #149
mee
Pentaxian

Emailed Sigma again about status of Pentax support..

QuoteQuote:
At this time there are no Pentax mounts being introduced and our stock of existing Pentax mounts is going down. I would not expect this to change in the near future.
I also inquired, in a followup, about a possible adapter to use EF or F lenses if they don't want to support K mount directly:

QuoteQuote:
As for a general Sigma to Pentax converter, that would change the distance from the lens to the sensor and would not be practical. It works for mirrorless because it takes up the space of the mirror box. All of this could change at any time, we are not privy to the plans of Japan in product release until they are released.

01-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, let's.

Considering the latter, I would add that any attempt of deducing the trends in Pentax sales and profitability from an analysis of the figures published about the 'Other' division is more than hazardous: it's doomed to failure.
Well, you can attempt that analysis, Mistral - trying to determine cameras out of the results. I haven't, Kunzite hasn't, JPT (doesn't he live in Japan?) hasn't. Unless you know marketshare, it's not possible, and no, the BCN stuff won't do.

But that 85/15 split in Japan vs the rest of the world for me means that I wouldn't be surprised if Mecrox has nailed it:

"It is hard for us to form a clear picture because the majority of Pentax business is conducted in Japan so far as one can tell."

Last edited by clackers; 01-19-2017 at 09:12 PM.