Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The 50-135 has more neutral colors. The FA limiteds feel just a little warmer to me, if that makes sense. Both have good contrast, which I think is probably more important than colors. The FA 77 has better rendering of out of focus areas, for what it is worth.
I'll just have to buy an FA 77 and compare them both. If I find I'm not using either one over the other then one of them will have to go

01-14-2017, 11:38 AM - 3 Likes   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I'll just have to buy an FA 77 and compare them both. If I find I'm not using either one over the other then one of them will have to go
The FA 77 is better at 77mm. The DA *50-135 is better at the other focal lengths.
01-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
But you say this as someone who appreciates these lenses for what they are. Is it safe to say the market, as a whole, does as well?
Until they come up with something else that says 'Pentax' the way the FA Limiteds do what else do they have? I suppose some day they'll be viewed as once-great but obsolete. All Milestones are, or will be. I don't think we're there yet.
01-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #79
mee
Veteran Member

Another idea is to encourage Metabones to make a Canon EF lens to K mount body adapter. Then we could use a ton of L lenses... and if Pentax goes kaputsky we will already have the lenses to jump ship. (that last part is a joke... mostly)

01-14-2017, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bleh. I'd rather crowd source the purchase of the engineering to the Super-Wide II AF and find some company to build them again in k-mount. I mean, if we're going to dream...
01-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #81
Veteran Member

i thing that it would be interesting if they could offer two opposite types of lenses:

1. contemporary star lenses, with wide aperture. f 1.4 - f1.8 for primes, and maybe f 2.4 zoom lense. all wether design, and of course silent and fast zoom, for professionals.

2. traditional takumar lenses, similar to actual da limiteds, but more on the tele side; something like a 235mm f 5.6, or 115 f 4, the size of a flashligt, so you can carry it in your poket or all you need in a small bag; but in the same time take the shot. for the casual shooter.

the only long lens that i use is a takumat 200 f 5.6, and i have a tair 3, that i took out of the house maybe two time, and took no more than 20 shots. you cant have the best of two worlds but al least let the end user decide what to take. no compromises made, especially in the iq department. that should always be nr.1, and the speed or size.
01-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Bleh. I'd rather crowd source the purchase of the engineering to the Super-Wide II AF and find some company to build them again in k-mount. I mean, if we're going to dream...

Hell yeah! My Super-Wide II AF is the sharpest 20-something lens I've ever used. Give it decent coatings and 7 rounded blades...

01-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Hell yeah! My Super-Wide II AF is the sharpest 20-something lens I've ever used. Give it decent coatings and 7 rounded blades...
It seems like the Super-Wide's aren't that well made, based on reviews, and stories of them blowing apart when dropped. Even if they were given the materials and engineering used to build the DA35 f2.4 sounds like a step up. This seems like a slam dunk lens; a nice slightly wide for walk about focal length for APS-C folks, kinda wide for the full framers. Small, light lens, which isn't something Sigma has any interest in these days. And you can stop the thing down, unlike adapted lenses, that leave out a means to manipulate the aperture. Should be a slam dunk, right? RIGHT?
01-14-2017, 10:00 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
It seems like the Super-Wide's aren't that well made, based on reviews, and stories of them blowing apart when dropped. Even if they were given the materials and engineering used to build the DA35 f2.4 sounds like a step up. This seems like a slam dunk lens; a nice slightly wide for walk about focal length for APS-C folks, kinda wide for the full framers. Small, light lens, which isn't something Sigma has any interest in these days. And you can stop the thing down, unlike adapted lenses, that leave out a means to manipulate the aperture. Should be a slam dunk, right? RIGHT?
I'm going to continue my policy of not dropping my Super Wide or any other lens Mine seems well-built enough - twice the size and weight of the DA21 - but who knows what gremlins of corners cut lurk inside that cold metal exterior?

I agree completely, I find 24mm on APS-C to be excellent for walkabout. And the lens is already very sharp wide open.

I wonder if a revival for something like $349 would be profitable for them?
01-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll see what they come back with; I submitted a question on their website about either putting it back into production or selling the IP for the lens for someone else to build. Not holding my breath...
01-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a good idea. I just did the same.
01-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #87
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Until they come up with something else that says 'Pentax' the way the FA Limiteds do what else do they have? I suppose some day they'll be viewed as once-great but obsolete. All Milestones are, or will be. I don't think we're there yet.
Oh I missed this response until now.. yes but I'm not sure having something that says 'Pentax' really appeals to many buyers today?

Of course they appeal to the already Pentaxians. But, getting out of those shoes and seeing it from the majority view, photographers that aren't Pentaxians don't see the value in the 'Pentax' lens designs. They're looking for those industry standard designs (big physical size but fast aperture and common FL). With a brand that has publicly admitted several times that it wants to grow in the market, do they continue in their niche and hope views/needs of the public at large changes? Or do they appeal to the masses?

I feel the old pentax lens designs (the small sized, mid-fast aperture primes) work better on smaller camera bodies. Which would work well with Mirrorless systems. But Pentax is designed around the Pentaprism. They're not going to quickly give up the OVF I suspect.

I say they need to take some of the more popular lens designs (85mm f/1.2 or f/1.4, 135mm f/1.4 or f/2, etc) for primes. Though, hands down, the most used lens on FF is the 24-105 f/4 on Canon and between the 24-120 f/4 and 24-70 f/2.8 on Nikon. And it isn't even close. Majority run with zoom lenses than primes in the almost 16 Million images they checked (sample data). The Most Commonly Used Camera-Lens Combinations

That is to say, Pentax has traditionally been well regarded for their primes. But primes aren't seemingly as popular today. While they definitely sell by the bunches, those mid-fast zooms seem to really take the cake.
01-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We already have Canon and Nikon, and their big cameras and big fast lenses. Do we need another?

Pentax is (supposed to be) the alternative full line camera company. Whatever says 'Pentax' has to be different. They have to make the market (of course, that means marketing) . . . )
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Oh I missed this response until now.. yes but I'm not sure having something that says 'Pentax' really appeals to many buyers today?

Of course they appeal to the already Pentaxians. But, getting out of those shoes and seeing it from the majority view, photographers that aren't Pentaxians don't see the value in the 'Pentax' lens designs. They're looking for those industry standard designs (big physical size but fast aperture and common FL). With a brand that has publicly admitted several times that it wants to grow in the market, do they continue in their niche and hope views/needs of the public at large changes? Or do they appeal to the masses?

I feel the old pentax lens designs (the small sized, mid-fast aperture primes) work better on smaller camera bodies. Which would work well with Mirrorless systems. But Pentax is designed around the Pentaprism. They're not going to quickly give up the OVF I suspect.

I say they need to take some of the more popular lens designs (85mm f/1.2 or f/1.4, 135mm f/1.4 or f/2, etc) for primes. Though, hands down, the most used lens on FF is the 24-105 f/4 on Canon and between the 24-120 f/4 and 24-70 f/2.8 on Nikon. And it isn't even close. Majority run with zoom lenses than primes in the almost 16 Million images they checked (sample data). The Most Commonly Used Camera-Lens Combinations

That is to say, Pentax has traditionally been well regarded for their primes. But primes aren't seemingly as popular today. While they definitely sell by the bunches, those mid-fast zooms seem to really take the cake.
01-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW, Fuji also does "non industry standard" FL's, like 23/27/56/60. It's a good way to be memorable, until everybody does it.
01-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We already have Canon and Nikon, and their big cameras and big fast lenses. Do we need another?

Pentax is (supposed to be) the alternative full line camera company. Whatever says 'Pentax' has to be different. They have to make the market (of course, that means marketing) . . . )
reality is they are better off filling niches well rather than chasing the big market canikon own