Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2017, 02:20 AM   #166

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Every time Sigma stops a K mount lens, that's good new for Pentax because Pentax can sell more lenses of their own.
I would like to see also a Pentax lens factory video. So far, I would still buy a Sigma lens:

01-23-2017, 05:56 AM   #167
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Antanico Quote
I would like to see also a Pentax lens factory video. So far, I would still buy a Sigma lens: SIGMA Aizu, Japan - YouTube
Unfortunately, not many people did buy Sigma lenses.

If you look at the K-1 Post Your Photos thread, there are few shots with them.

01-23-2017, 07:37 AM   #168
Pentaxian

When filtering out the noise of a small but loud group of fans in forums you have to acknowledge that Sigma has failed to make any splash in the lens world in the last 8 years.

They still have the same quality control issues and not convincing products as ever. As a result the market share is stagnant since 2009 (before that there simply is no data). Sigma exists because they are cheap and have to be cheap.
Nobody would buy a Sigma lens if it wasn't at least 40% cheaper than an OEM product with the same specs.
01-23-2017, 07:52 AM   #169
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
When filtering out the noise of a small but loud group of fans in forums you have to acknowledge that Sigma has failed to make any splash in the lens world in the last 8 years.

They still have the same quality control issues and not convincing products as ever. As a result the market share is stagnant since 2009 (before that there simply is no data). Sigma exists because they are cheap and have to be cheap.
Nobody would buy a Sigma lens if it wasn't at least 40% cheaper than an OEM product with the same specs.
I wonder how their Sigma Sport thing with close to OEM pricing is doing?

01-24-2017, 12:48 AM   #170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I wonder how their Sigma Sport thing with close to OEM pricing is doing?
The neew 500 sport has the usual 40% discount. The few older sports lenses probably are sold in quantities like those in Sigma mount.
But obviously nobody will ever really know due to lack of published data.
01-24-2017, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote

Sigma may have a stagnant market share, but they have broken into the 'premium' segment with their 'Art' lenses, so I bet they make more money per lens now than they did in the past. And I completely disagree with your assessment of them only existing because they are cheap. That used to be the case, but not any more. Their 'Art' series lenses are amongst the best on the market, most of them hands down beat their Canon and Nikon equivalents at the time of release in optical quality. In late 2015 there were even reports of Canon trying to acquire Sigma - wasn't for sale though.

And as for quality control - as we say in German, Pentax bekleckert sich da auch nicht gerade mit Ruhm (literally "Pentax isn't spilling fame onto it self in that regard either"). Loads of reports of less than stellar lenses around, including DFA and DFA*.

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 01-24-2017 at 03:57 AM.
01-24-2017, 06:41 AM   #172

Zeiss abandoned us, tamron created last lens for pentax years ago and no new design is available unless called DFA, Sigma reduced portfolio of pentax lenses significantly and probably is going to abandon us and take care of others like rising Fuji.

The problem is REDUCED LENS OPTION

Who the hell is going to buy K-1 + 15-30 + 24-70 + 70-200 + 150-450 if he can get D810 + tamron 15-30VC + tamron 24-70VC + great tamron 70-200VC + great nikkor 200-500/5.6 for LESS MONEY... ? Not to mention selection of available fast lenses like 20/1.4, 24/1.4, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4 etc etc for Nikon.

There is no way Ricoh would introduce more than 2-3 lenses a year to cover photographic needs... On the other side there is FUJI going stronger every year. After 4 years there already are many X mount lenses.. And Pentax after 13 years of digital era is stil somewhere at the end of tail.

Loosing sigma would only result in even less K cameras being sold. K-1 was no huge success, at the beginning the hype was huge, but by now all those hard-core pentaxians with old lenses were saturated and we can see cashbacks, sales and other stuff aimed on selling more K-1 as that camera created no significant growth. Even in JAPAN Ricoh/Pentax only achieved 4.8% of market share... that is the reason why those 3rd party manufacturers are turning back to K mount. Years ago it used to be around 10% in Japan and 4-5% worldwide.

It is hard to attract new customers into buying product that only can be used with own overpriced lenses with almost zero 3Rd party support, while others enjoy all those new lenses every year on their canons or nikons.

Without significant boost into APS-C cameras portfolio and stronger marketing I see nothing optimistic. With current methods we can expect market share dropping to 2% this year.

01-24-2017, 07:02 AM - 2 Likes   #173
Pentaxian

It's amazing how trolls are talking about marketshare and praising Fujifilm in the same post.
01-24-2017, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Zeiss abandoned us, tamron created last lens for pentax years ago and no new design is available unless called DFA, Sigma reduced portfolio of pentax lenses significantly and probably is going to abandon us and take care of others like rising Fuji.

The problem is REDUCED LENS OPTION

Who the hell is going to buy K-1 + 15-30 + 24-70 + 70-200 + 150-450 if he can get D810 + tamron 15-30VC + tamron 24-70VC + great tamron 70-200VC + great nikkor 200-500/5.6 for LESS MONEY... ? Not to mention selection of available fast lenses like 20/1.4, 24/1.4, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4 etc etc for Nikon.

There is no way Ricoh would introduce more than 2-3 lenses a year to cover photographic needs... On the other side there is FUJI going stronger every year. After 4 years there already are many X mount lenses.. And Pentax after 13 years of digital era is stil somewhere at the end of tail.

Loosing sigma would only result in even less K cameras being sold. K-1 was no huge success, at the beginning the hype was huge, but by now all those hard-core pentaxians with old lenses were saturated and we can see cashbacks, sales and other stuff aimed on selling more K-1 as that camera created no significant growth. Even in JAPAN Ricoh/Pentax only achieved 4.8% of market share... that is the reason why those 3rd party manufacturers are turning back to K mount. Years ago it used to be around 10% in Japan and 4-5% worldwide.

It is hard to attract new customers into buying product that only can be used with own overpriced lenses with almost zero 3Rd party support, while others enjoy all those new lenses every year on their canons or nikons.

Without significant boost into APS-C cameras portfolio and stronger marketing I see nothing optimistic. With current methods we can expect market share dropping to 2% this year.
Astounding in it's manipulation of facts and conclusions based on nothing.

How many Windows users have told me Apple was dead?
How many posts are there here on this forum saying Pentax is doomed?
Yet month after month, year after year, the naysayers come and go, Pentax just keeps chugging along.

You join a long line of folks time has proved wrong, in the "Pentax is doomed" choir.

You dudes come and go so often, I'm not even going to try and remember your handle.

Last edited by normhead; 01-24-2017 at 08:28 AM.
01-24-2017, 07:32 AM   #175
Pentaxian

He's working hard, on at least 2 forums (this and DPReview).
01-24-2017, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's amazing how trolls are talking about marketshare and praising Fujifilm in the same post.

Last "official" figures we have (poor as they are) says Fuji X camera quality did stand no chance to compete with Pentax Q...
MIRRORLESS MARKET IN JAPAN: Fujifilm still a small (but cool ;) ) niche. However, X-series market share increased in 2014! - Fuji Rumors

I bet though, you'll find a pink glasses fan who will point out trumpistic "alternative facts": that his mommy and daddy know somebody who knows somebody who owns Fuji cameras and so based on that huge () sample all other statistics are "nonsense" as Fuji is just close to world domination.
01-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I mourn the loss of the big three 3rd party lenses so I may be able to fill a certain gap in the k-mount lens line-up. I don't want to build an entire kit out of 3rd party glass. Suggesting that Sigma's 20mm full frame lens would be a great thing to have available right now seems valid, as an example. Suggesting we should get exciting about buying a pile of glass that Pentax already offers equivalents for just seems dumb.
01-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I mourn the loss of the big three 3rd party lenses so I may be able to fill a certain gap in the k-mount lens line-up. I don't want to build an entire kit out of 3rd party glass. Suggesting that Sigma's 20mm full frame lens would be a great thing to have available right now seems valid, as an example. Suggesting we should get exciting about buying a pile of glass that Pentax already offers equivalents for just seems dumb.
Given the lack of UWA glass for my K-1, the loss of 3rd party lenses is particularly painful. I'm just not paying the price for the 15-30. It might be a great lens but it's $2300 with Tax and shipping by the time it gets to my door, and it's big and heavy. Right now, anyone's 20mm lens would be awesome. A cute little redesign of the 21 ltd. for full frame would do nicely. Surely Pentax has to do something for those of us who can't lay out the big bucks for the 15-30? This is especially bad since they went to 28mm instead of 24 on the DFA 28-105. Although for me, I use my Sigma 8-16 pretty extensively. So 21 is the longest I would go.

It's hard to believe that I'm in a position where I'll be using my K-3 with the 8-16 on the camera for UVA as well as for telephoto images. But that's where I find myself. When I bought the K-1, not bringing the Sigma 8-16 was part of keeping my weight down. I planned poorly. Someone bail me out.
01-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #179
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fuji is expensive as hell and their electronic viewfinders suck. I'll stick with my K-3 and less expensive Pentax lenses thank you......
01-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Given the lack of UWA glass for my K-1, the loss of 3rd party lenses is particularly painful. I'm just not paying the price for the 15-30. It might be a great lens but it's $2300 with Tax and shipping by the time it gets to my door, and it's big and heavy. Right now, anyone's 20mm lens would be awesome. A cute little redesign of the 21 ltd. for full frame would do nicely. Surely Pentax has to do something for those of us who can't lay out the big bucks for the 15-30? This is especially bad since they went to 28mm instead of 24 on the DFA 28-105. Although for me, I use my Sigma 8-16 pretty extensively. So 21 is the longest I would go.

It's hard to believe that I'm in a position where I'll be using my K-3 with the 8-16 on the camera for UVA as well as for telephoto images. But that's where I find myself. When I bought the K-1, not bringing the Sigma 8-16 was part of keeping my weight down. I planned poorly. Someone bail me out.
Samyang 14mm with an Adobe lens profile that sorts out the mustache distortion.

I have this lens and the 15-30. I agree about the price, it's way too much.

Great as they are, I'm worried for the future of Pentax in the shrinking ILC market.