Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #106

On photo sites like ePhotozine.com. People notice that outstanding images are so often made with Pentax and they are going to Pentax just I did. Now I often use the Ks2 as well as the K-50. The K-50 is a bit noisy but still a world contender. Such a pleasure to use and a high count of winner photos too. Keep your sensor CLEAN. Don't change lenses just switch between two Pentax cameras....One long; K-50....with..150-600mm and One short; KS-2 with 18-50mm There is no time for changing lenses for what I do anyway. TG [Tony ]

01-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Japan is Ricoh's strongest market and they have 4.2% and have yet to do anything to grow that. Ricoh as owned the Pentax brand since 2011. Ricoh has done some good things and produced some great products, but they have not had much success growing the brand. If Ricoh hadn't bought the Pentax brand, then they would probably be gone by now, so its a good thing that they did.
I think Richo wants to keep Pentax also for developing new products after Theta and WG-M (Action Camera).
Theta may be outdone by Samsung in the future, so new products are needed.
Mirrorless cameras are something that Pentax must come with sooner or later, so start up with Q again.
A Q mini with a bright touchscreen, simple menu (for smartphone users), no pixel shitf and maybe just Jpeg and fast auto focus.
It can be a success if Richo does it right.
01-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
I think Richo wants to keep Pentax also for developing new products after Theta and WG-M (Action Camera).
Theta may be outdone by Samsung in the future, so new products are needed.
Mirrorless cameras are something that Pentax must come with sooner or later, so start up with Q again.
A Q mini with a bright touchscreen, simple menu (for smartphone users), no pixel shitf and maybe just Jpeg and fast auto focus.
It can be a success if Richo does it right.
They need to take the KP and remove the mirror and put in an EVF. Get the Sony 24MP APS-C sensor that has PDAF from the A6500 and give the camera a boat load of processing power. That way all the K-mount APS-C lenses work. They can get into mirrorless without changing mounts and a lot of cost. Then they can continue to develop their mirrorless technology.

Last edited by Winder; 01-21-2018 at 08:49 AM.
01-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Yes, that's a good idea. A mirrorless KP probably attracts some/many Pentax users.
Many of the DA lenses are small, so keep the Kmount.
Q is an avaced camera to use and with some toy lenses. Smartphone users who want to own a real camera should be interested by a Q mini that is easy to use, touchscreen, smallest interchangeable lens camera and with 02 + a new zoom it can be a success.

01-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Yes, that's a good idea. A mirrorless KP probably attracts some/many Pentax users.
Many of the DA lenses are small, so keep the Kmount.
Q is an avaced camera to use and with some toy lenses. Smartphone users who want to own a real camera should be interested by a Q mini that is easy to use, touchscreen, smallest interchangeable lens camera and with 02 + a new zoom it can be a success.
RI won't do a mirrorless KP. They tried that and got backfired really hard (K-01). I know the current sensors allow quite better AF but it still would be a brick and be killed because of it.
No, that's not my opinion (that it should be killed) but yes this is what I believe would happen.
01-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #111
Pentaxian

I agree; people would kill a mirrorless KP like they did with the K-01.
01-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I agree; people would kill a mirrorless KP like they did with the K-01.
K-01 didnt have a viewfinder
It was considered ugly, although I saw it in person and it wasnt so bad
It had contrast detect autofocus only

If a mirrorless K-P improved the looks a bit and improved the grip, perhaps a bit deeper. lightened it up some and could do this with out any sacrifices besides the OVF to EVF it might be OK. The problem is that it will still be bigger than most mirrorless, but much nicer looking than the K-01.

01-22-2018, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax should try making a mirrorless KP with K mount and EVF. It is a very inexpensive experiment vs designing a completely new system around a new lens mount. Think a lot of people would buy it. Some would be unhappy with this choice. What else is new? No camera is going to please everyone.

If this 2nd APS-c mirrorless experient fails, Pentax could then decide if they want to invest in a new lens mount and system. They would also learn from the 2nd APS-c mirrorless.

Thanks,
barondla
01-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
They need to take the KP and remove the mirror and put in an EVF. Get the Sony 24MP APS-C sensor that has PDAF from the A6500 and give the camera a boat load of processing power. That way all the K-mount APS-C lenses work. They can get into mirrorless without changing mounts and a lot of cost. Then they can continue to develop their mirrorless technology.
Sounds too smart, probably will release another Q or 360 camera.

However with mirrorless, I would rather see them do a Sony and design something fresh from the ground up, don't see why they could do an adapter that allows some backwards compatibility, IIRC both Sony and Canon can do it. They would also need an AF for mirrorless that isn't trash, my K01 or K3 in live mode is just...

Wouldn't mind a cheaper FF, as I can't afford a K1, and it would take an awesome APS-C dSLR (like D500 level AF) to get me to upgrade from my K3.
01-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Pentax should try making a mirrorless KP with K mount and EVF. It is a very inexpensive experiment vs designing a completely new system around a new lens mount. Think a lot of people would buy it. Some would be unhappy with this choice. What else is new? No camera is going to please everyone.

If this 2nd APS-c mirrorless experient fails, Pentax could then decide if they want to invest in a new lens mount and system. They would also learn from the 2nd APS-c mirrorless.

Thanks,
barondla
Yes, it's probably not that expensive for Richo, but it may be a problem for Richo that it takes buyers from Pentax DSLR.
Or keep users that is able to go to Fuji / Sony.
01-23-2018, 10:10 PM   #116
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Aaand... back down to 4.8% from 6.7%. Interesting. Obviously it fluctuates, but when the market share is so small, then it seems to fluctuate a lot! Curious

2016 BCN awards in Japan: Canon wins in almost all categories | Photo Rumors
The numbers that I have seen, which I believe were from CIPA, showed that there are more Pentax DSLR's sold than Fuji sells mirrorless bodies. However I believe these numbers were from 2015 or 2016 and may no longer be the case. I only point this out because no one speaks of Fuji having poor sells.
01-23-2018, 10:57 PM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
K-01 didnt have a viewfinder
It was considered ugly, although I saw it in person and it wasnt so bad
It had contrast detect autofocus only
The K-01 was killed for 3 reasons:
* price (relatively to what it brought)
* design (heavily linked to price in this case)
* and most important: wayyyy to thick.

Most people did not understand why, except the couple price/design (which is only specific to the model) a mirrorless was so big.
Except a niche in which RI is not ready to go into IMO : Video.

In all other cases of mirrorless, they need a adapted mount.
01-24-2018, 03:16 AM   #118

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Most people did not understand why, except the couple price/design (which is only specific to the model) a mirrorless was so big. Except a niche in which RI is not ready to go into IMO : Video.
Totally agree - if they will not improve their video capabilities they have nothing to find in MILC area.
01-24-2018, 04:10 AM   #119
Pentaxian

In a few weeks time possibly we will see how Canon solves the approach question.

Some time later Nikon come with their me-too product.

Both face the exact same decisions and soon enough we will see the market reaction (I do mean sales figures, not what fanboy sites and bloggers write in the first few days).

If Ricoh is smart, they simply wait to see where it all is heading after the dust settles.

The only one who is really on the loosing end then is Sony. It can only get worse for them.
01-24-2018, 06:11 AM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ShaunW Quote
The numbers that I have seen, which I believe were from CIPA, showed that there are more Pentax DSLR's sold than Fuji sells mirrorless bodies. (...)
Definitely not from CIPA : they don't publish figures per manufacturer, only aggregated ones.

To put things in perspective: Ricoh Imaging's sales ("Smart Vision" in the current reporting) are less than half those of Leica Camera AG.