Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax DSLR sales Japan BCN 2017 Report

Aaand... back down to 4.8% from 6.7%. Interesting. Obviously it fluctuates, but when the market share is so small, then it seems to fluctuate a lot! Curious

2016 BCN awards in Japan: Canon wins in almost all categories | Photo Rumors

01-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It is too bad considering that it shows their marketshare in Japan...which is where they have the strongest foothold. Worldwide it must be real tiny.
01-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
It is too bad
Probably not that bleak - they are making money on cameras, by all accounts, not losing $.
And the market share stats don't indicate the total value of sales, just volume.
01-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

So everytime Pentax introduces a new body, their sales increase.
It's striking that Nikon lost and Canon gained so much.

01-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If Pentax's forthcoming KP is a high-end APS-C it might help with market share as I believe overall APS-C still has more sales than FF in the DSLR market.
01-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

What might help with that kind of market share could be a very cheap plastic toy sold at a loss in electronic retail chains.
01-18-2017, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
If Pentax's forthcoming KP is a high-end APS-C it might help with market share as I believe overall APS-C still has more sales than FF in the DSLR market.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What might help with that kind of market share could be a very cheap plastic toy sold at a loss in electronic retail chains.
The problem we have assigning meaning to this kind of 30,000 foot report is we can't drill down to the actual data points.

01-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, indeed. I'm just guessing it would help raising the presence in some of those 23 electronics retailers included for those rankings.
The question is: what would be the price?
01-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I am on the fence about raising presence at retail stores. A couple years ago I was aghast they didn't have that already, but now it seems retail stores in general are on the way out.

Maybe Ricoh saw something...
01-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
I am on the fence about raising presence at retail stores. A couple years ago I was aghast they didn't have that already, but now it seems retail stores in general are on the way out.

Maybe Ricoh saw something...
This is only retail stores in Japan. The fact that the K-3 II isn't available anymore could be a factor in the decline between reports...

Retail stores are on the way out in the US but what about the rest of the world?
01-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How can the market share of 2017 not be a forecast only?
There is nothing new in those figures. Pentax is a minority share owner , same year on year.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-18-2017 at 01:40 PM.
01-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The award is of 2017, but the sales data is from 2016.
01-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozturert Quote
It's striking that Nikon lost and Canon gained so much.
Very interesting actually. I never really researched them but I always thought that picture quality wise Nikon was better than Canon?
You'd hope that that's what people would look out for..
01-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
If it was based significantly on picture quality (I'll read as Image Quality) then Pentax would have a significant gain. As it's more likely the comfort factor of hanging out with other photographers and being part of the herd that tends to be the #1 factor in purchasing decisions. Of course this matches the "if I copy everyone else's technique, I'll also be considered a Pro" and many equate technique is equivalent to gear...

Myself, I'm an uneducated photography hack and really enjoy the experience.. I'd purchased my first Pentax before asking any opinions and then received the scorn and derision from those "in the know" afterwards.
01-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Very interesting actually. I never really researched them but I always thought that picture quality wise Nikon was better than Canon?
I haven't looked at data in detail but Nikon has lost quite a bit of trust, I believe. D800, D600, D750 all came with problems. Even D500 has a problemmatic WiFi connection and may have issues with certain memory cards. What's worse, Nikon did not acknowledge the problems fast and many Nikon users have gotten frustrated. In fact, I sold many of my Nikon lenses and did some investment in Pentax. Not that Pentax is any better but at least I know what's wrong with Pentax bodies and lenses There is one area Pentax (Ricoh?) needs to invest: Better AF system. Lack of lenses etc... can be taken care of somehow. A K3III (or KP?) with a better and reliable AF module would carry Pentax marketshare up.
But that's my guess only.