Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax are doing basic things right!!

Came across a small family-run camera shop last week,which is also a Pentax Pro centre in a very very very remote town in Wales,UK. Chatted to the owner for quite some time while trying different gears. He said the reason why he stocks Pentax is because Pentax UK will have absolutely no problem taking back any unsold stock,and also provides a lot of support to him even being a very small independent shop in a town of 2000 ppl. Nikon does that too,so he stocks a lot Nikon stuff.

Canon wont support him as much,so he completely shunted them out,doesnt stock them at all!!! Imagine a camera shop without Canon gears,have you ever seen one anywhere?? this man bravely does that!

He personally uses a Nikon camera,but he speaks highly of Pentax.Either genuine or just because Pentax offers him a big margin,im not too sure. The point im making here is that, by supporting small and independent camera shops like this one,both financially and in terms of latest gears,Pentax are doing these basic things right, being very level-headed and patiently waiting to hit the big time!

On a side note,I tried a Nikon D700 in his shop,very nice BUT It didnt WOW me the way i thought It would.Whats more, by his account,there is soon to be Nikon D80 replacement coming out,definitely before Xmas, priced between D300 and D60,which kind of explains why D300 price hasnt dropped.

Last edited by Snapshot12; 08-04-2008 at 08:03 PM.
08-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I understand what you mean. Aruond here, the big photo shops are all for Canon and Nikon, employees know about Pentax but many of the younger ones never tried one of Pentax's cameras. Some don't even know that older lenses fit, they use Rebels so they think all brands are the same. Some are curious about Sony, having been raised with Sony electronics all around the house (and to some extend, I am one such person).

However, I recently visited one venerable photo shop that has the singular feature of stocking lots of used things. There, things were different. The clerck saw my K20D and complimented me. He knew his business around a Pentax, had stories of using Minolta gear, liked Canon and Nikon well enough but complained that they didn't support older lenses, especially in the entry-level bodies. We had a great chat about his photo anecdotes, knew the reputation of the lens I had mounted on the camera (Vivitar S1 70-210). I tried multiple teleconverters, for the sake of it, and he KNEW them, even 20 years old used stocks.

I didn't buy any teleconverter, but I will make this store one of my favourites from now on. If only to chat with the clercks.
08-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Makes me want to move to the UK! Pentax US doesn't even want small dealers any more. Booted them over to distributors. Such a shame.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #9 WINNERS in the P&S forum. Enter #10. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Enter now.
08-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
With Fuji more than likely pulling out of Dslr business,Olympus more or less concentrating on Mini Dslrs with their tiny sensors,Pentax knows its place in the Dslr circle,they just keep digging deep,doing these simple things right,they will be going forward along with others.

Sony knows it cannot compete with Pentax in terms of Brand Name in the Photo world,thats why it inprint 10mp and 14mp on its Dslrs to suck in the first-timers,I think its such a joke!

08-05-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapshot12 Quote
Came across a small family-run camera shop last week,which is also a Pentax Pro centre in a very very very remote town in Wales,UK. ...
Can you tell me where this is please?
08-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #6

I like this. A lot.
Better than buying shell space so that dealers only have your brand and people only buying your camera's because 'there just were so many in that store'.
08-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Its in Narberth,Pembrokeshire.

08-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Makes me want to move to the UK! Pentax US doesn't even want small dealers any more. Booted them over to distributors. Such a shame.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #9 WINNERS in the P&S forum. Enter #10. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Enter now.
This is not true. Pentax USA has to deal with the massive takeover and run out of town business plan and stratagem of the big distributors.

If one does not support the local camera store and opts for the big guy's , what happens?

Think about it.
08-08-2008, 06:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have no idea what part of my comment WendyB thinks is untrue. Facts are Pentax US has dumped all small dealers to distributors. They will not sell directly to them. They have terminated ( or some may be re assigned). the reps that called on those dealers. They no longer send those dealers product update info or any other info.
I know they need small dealers. Don't think they know it.
thanks
barondla
08-08-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to visit Wales again and know exactly where I'll be heading.
08-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

well.. at least they are selling cameras and not washing machines.. that's a step in the right direction if you ask me.
08-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

At least some of you have a camera store. 20 yrs ago we had 3 in town and now there is a Ritz in the mall that stocks a couple of entry level SLR's and point and shoots except in the late fall around the holidays. I know this has happened because the buying public hasn't supported the camera shop but its a sad thing. I'm one who likes to pick up a camera before I buy it.
08-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #13

I know one camera store in Amsterdam that gives al the major brands the room space it needs, that's how a store has to be
08-11-2008, 04:47 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Pentax UK supply only a very small handful of direct accounts, probably under 10, the rest are handled extremely well by their UK trade distributors Intro 2020 who have excellent contacts and on the ground representation with all the UK stores, from small to large, including some chains.

I've been led to believe that the pricing structure from Intro is exactly the same as from PUK, so there is no financial disadvantage AFAIK.

In fact the advantage of dealing with Intro is that the total business volume would be across their whole range and benefit from having one account rather than lots of small individual ones. Intro are the UK distributors for many popular brands, Metz, Slick, Tamron, Crumpler, Kenko, Velbon, Tamrac, just to mention a few!

The advantage we have in the UK over the USA is that we don't have lots of individual reps covering the brand due to the size and ease of logistics of a smaller country.

Pentax never had a lerge sales force in the UK and many dealers, who never were Pentax accounts, were already dealing with Intro, so the marriage was probably made in heaven!
08-11-2008, 06:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapshot12 Quote
Came across a small family-run camera shop last week,which is also a Pentax Pro centre in a very very very remote town in Wales,UK. Chatted to the owner for quite some time while trying different gears. He said the reason why he stocks Pentax is because Pentax UK will have absolutely no problem taking back any unsold stock,and also provides a lot of support to him even being a very small independent shop in a town of 2000 ppl. Nikon does that too,so he stocks a lot Nikon stuff.
How quaint! Great to see olde world values being kept up.

QuoteQuote:
Canon wont support him as much,so he completely shunted them out,doesnt stock them at all!!! Imagine a camera shop without Canon gears,have you ever seen one anywhere?? this man bravely does that!
Now *this* restores my faith in human nature!

QuoteQuote:
He personally uses a Nikon camera,but he speaks highly of Pentax.Either genuine or just because Pentax offers him a big margin,im not too sure. The point im making here is that, by supporting small and independent camera shops like this one,both financially and in terms of latest gears,Pentax are doing these basic things right, being very level-headed and patiently waiting to hit the big time!

On a side note,I tried a Nikon D700 in his shop,very nice BUT It didnt WOW me the way i thought It would.Whats more, by his account,there is soon to be Nikon D80 replacement coming out,definitely before Xmas, priced between D300 and D60,which kind of explains why D300 price hasnt dropped.