Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 269 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #361
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there's also the old.old quandary: the D500 i a great sports/ action camera - to win any sales, a Pentax would have to be better (almost impossible in one step) or nearly as good but much cheaper - so unlikely to regain R&D costs. It probably makes a lot more sense for Pentax to go its own way and be outstanding in ways in which Canikony aren't rather than try to beat them at their own game. Having said which, as long as AF-C and video as regarded as weak, Pentax's reputation will suffer and people won't move over - so they have to be at least as good as the industry average. Hopefully they're working towards this.

01-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #362
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I've already received an email from my dealer offering a special trade-in inducement together with some free swag by way of cards, etc. Yes, deals and discounts are on the way.
Is there a way to get in on that in Canada?
01-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #363
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I've already received an email from my dealer offering a special trade-in inducement together with some free swag by way of cards, etc. Yes, deals and discounts are on the way.
I want a dealer like that too!
01-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Is there a way to get in on that in Canada?
I'm in the UK. I shouldn't think so. Shipping and customs duties would probably be chronic. Just be patient. I am sure deals will start appearing over the next few months. The camera isn't even available yet. Don't forget: whatever the retailers and the camera companies may say, without your money they are toast so in the end they have to keep selling the stuff or it is game over.

01-26-2017, 04:13 PM   #365

Interesting piece from www.imaging-resource.com initial hands-on preview:
QuoteQuote:
Exposure options are in most respects similar to the Pentax K-3 and K-3 II, with the Pentax KP using the same 27-point SAFOX 11 autofocus systems as in those cameras, complete with 25 cross-type points that are sensitive to detail on both horizontal and vertical axes. And the KP also retains the same 86,000 pixel RGB metering system as in its flagship siblings. However, there are some important differences. Perhaps most significantly, Ricoh notes that it has improved its autofocus algorithms such that the Pentax KP should offer noticeably better AF performance and accuracy than past models using the same AF sensor.
Looks like we need to wait for field tests to get opinion on the KP AF. Could be tiny bit better than K3ii.

Last edited by apete; 01-26-2017 at 04:43 PM.
01-26-2017, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #366
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
$1100 is the early adopter price. It will fairly quickly be sub one thousand whereupon it starts becoming a more compelling proposition for many.
I bet the price never drops - that they match production to demand - and hold the price steady. That's what they're doing with K-1 and could well be their new production strategy.
01-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #367
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
there's also the old.old quandary: the D500 i a great sports/ action camera - to win any sales, a Pentax would have to be better (almost impossible in one step) or nearly as good but much cheaper - so unlikely to regain R&D costs. It probably makes a lot more sense for Pentax to go its own way and be outstanding in ways in which Canikony aren't rather than try to beat them at their own game. Having said which, as long as AF-C and video as regarded as weak, Pentax's reputation will suffer and people won't move over - so they have to be at least as good as the industry average. Hopefully they're working towards this.
I think you're correct. That, and video features/technology needs to improve. People look for those these days, even though I extremely rarely touch movie mode. 4k, clean output, zebra overlay, etc. Those should be considered I'm afraid.

Some here think they're not a competitor to Canon, Nikon, or Sony. But rather see Pentax as an alternative to them. I say maybe so, but even those looking for an alternative are largely looking for the same general features. Plus, having those features on board is wonderful when attempting to resell as your potential market is that much larger.

And, even in the non-sports bodies from Canikony, it seems the AF tracking is still another generation or two superior.. I think Ricoh now realize this is important (or at least, much discussed) to those they are attempting to court and it will only get better..

All of this said, it likely means an increased price for their products. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, both in pricing and in reaction to those prices. haha

01-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #368
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
Ricoh notes that it has improved its autofocus algorithms such that the Pentax KP should offer noticeably better AF performance and accuracy than past models using the same AF sensor.

Looks like we need to wait for field tests to get opinion on the KP AF. Could be tiny bit better than K3ii.
Agreed. Like the K-3 II was a tiny bit better than the K-3. I suspect the improved II algorithms were added to the K-3 in the next firmware update.
01-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #369
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Down there, you guys are very close...the apples wont save yas!
If I remember correctly, Hell is in Norway.

Anyway, our indexes aren't too flash, right now, but the worry is that they're getting better.

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2017 at 11:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I bet the price never drops - that they match production to demand - and hold the price steady. That's what they're doing with K-1 and could well be their new production strategy.
I reckon you could well be right, with that. They've reduced their ability to stretch the model (and charge more) with a follow-up silver variant, by including it at launch, and at the same price. There's always the titanium (or gold anniversary) model variant, of course.
01-26-2017, 06:16 PM   #370
Veteran Member

This will be a short live model I am pretty sure. It will fill their production line before the premium APSC coming later this year. All of this was cause by the the Japan earthquake. This model was probably ready for september 2016 launch.
I know , I a mwaiting to replace my K-5 with the next flagship APSC model
01-26-2017, 09:23 PM   #371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a lot of searches on this thread and came up empty for my question...
What is the primary function of the button on the back upper right? The one with the "fx2" secondary designation? It has an arrow above and below a line with the arrows pointing at it. I've never seen that before on a camera.
01-26-2017, 09:25 PM   #372

The review video (in Czech) apparently says it is for the electronic level / horizon adjust.
01-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The review video (in Czech) apparently says it is for the electronic level / horizon adjust.
That makes perfect sense given the graphic, though it seems like an odd choice to dedicate a button to. Good thing it's also fx2. Thanks.
01-27-2017, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #374
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We'll see. I have a feeling that it will have to come down a couple hundred to really move any units to speak of. The reality of the market place is that the D7200 is out there selling for 996 and K3 II is still on the market for 830.

Maybe image quality and auto focus speed are going to be phenomenal, but otherwise, it feels like a slightly crippled but still quite expensive APS-C camera.
01-27-2017, 03:51 AM   #375
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is DOF bracketting same speak as focus stacking in RAW ?