Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2017, 04:09 AM   #451
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What's the spec of the Grip? What kind of battery does it take?

01-28-2017, 04:29 AM   #452
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder what it would be like to shoot without a grip at all (not that you'd want to do that except in an emergency). Probably not all that comfortable, but then again that's not the design purpose of the camera.

It does look like a fairly solid attachment; I just hope you can friction-turn the screw tight enough with a finger or thumb to achieve a passable result. At least the Super Program could use a coin!
01-28-2017, 05:04 AM   #453
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Oh my goodness no, that is exactly how camera-makers want people to think. In fact it is far better and financially more advantageous to buy a well-make flagship product every five years, say, rather than treadmill through midrange products every three years. Now that the pace of technical change is slowing, it makes more sense because that more costly flagship product probably won't become obsolete nearly so quickly and certainly won't be taking inferior pictures - but it is likely to have lasted far better, proved much more satisfying to use and may even have a decent resale value. A thousand really doesn't buy you much in the camera world these days and there will be a lot of compromises in a camera at that level, from any maker (fewer compromises from Pentax than from most, in fact, hence nice cameras like the KP or the K70). But imho if you want the best ride on the aircraft, look at 1500 to 2000 or more at least and choose the ones which are built for the long haul.
+1 And the notion of obsolete is also quite relative. The only DSLR that noticably better than K3 in Pentax is K1 for now while K30/K50/K70/K5/K5-II/KS2 are in a given ballpark of features/capabilities and K3/K3-II/KP in another ballback of possibilities.

A guy that just did buy a K5 1 year after release and then a K3 1 year after release has still current hardware that still better than KP on some aspects and a bit worse on other.

K5 cost: acquire: €800, sell €300 => Total cost of 500€ for 3 years.
K3 cost: acquire: €800... Sell it in 1-1.5 year for €400 => total cost 400€ for 3 years.

Flagship are not that more expensive. K3 can be found today for €500-600 used. You just have to buy a bit smart and you get the same or more for half the price than if you buy blindly the latest greatest mid level soon after release.

If Pentax/Ricoh doesn't change its strategy we will get a real new APSC camera flagship. Counting what KP is, that one would have at least K3 key specs: double SD card, great autonomy, 1/8000 mechanical shutter with 8.3 FPS, full alloy body, big buffers, more direct access control like AF button and some real improvement: new AF sensor with more AF point and more coverage, greater burst speed (10 FPS ?), maybe even more more than 24MP pixels and likely something new we don't even think of... iso 25 or iso50, 6 stop shake reduction that work at slow as 1s shutter time or something even more funny.
01-28-2017, 05:08 AM   #454
Pentaxian

pathdoc: You need a hex key (provided), that's why I mentioned Ikea
The hand grip is not supposed to be changed as you change lenses.

01-28-2017, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #455
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Pretty much foolproof, I'd say (provided they had a good range of fools to test it on).
Are you blind, man? -the thing's just come off in his hand!
01-28-2017, 05:39 AM   #456
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Looking at 7 FPS and 100,000 shutter actuations and how silent it is, I would bet they simply (re)use the K-5IIs shutter mechanism.

And I think there have been zero reasons to complain about the K-5IIs shutter. Ever. Compared to anything. The rest is 12 year old's spec sheet geekery.
Actually, K-7 had a more pleasing sound to my ears, sounding lower than the K-5. But K-5 had to cope with more fps.
IMO of course. And very small issue (if it even is an issue).
01-28-2017, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #457
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I trust in TWO screws.

I don't use neck strap with my cameras and I use hand strap with K-5IIs and K200D. Hand strap is a protection if my hand slips.

But I use GXR without any straps at all. The hand grip is very small. But GXR is much smaller and lighter than KP.
KP with heavy lens and without good tightening of grip - there is some risk to drop.
Of course, it could be very rare. But it could be.
I suppose if you don't tie your shoes correctly you could trip on a lace and fall on your camera. Is a risk.

01-28-2017, 06:18 AM   #458
JPT
Pentaxian

I don't know if this is significant, but the wording on the product page about video SR is different on the KP from the K-70.

K-70 - "It even provides a host of user-friendly tools, such as a digital SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, digital filters and stereo sound recording using a built-in microphone."
KP - "take advantage of such advanced features as aperture control function, SR mechanism, and creative image-capture tools"

The wording for KP does not exclude the possibility that IBIS could work in video mode, where the wording for the K-70 did specify digital. Having said that, I admit that it's a bit of a stretch to infer that much from the absence of a word. Maybe they just worded it less carefully this time.
01-28-2017, 06:39 AM   #459
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
I don't believe Ricoh is pitching this camera at you anyway.
They tried to pitch it, but the grip fell off and they dropped it during the windup. Look for the replacement to the k3 to have thicker, easier to hold stitching.
01-28-2017, 06:44 AM - 4 Likes   #460
Pentaxian

My SuperA which has a handgrip very similar to the KP has NEVER lost its grip. And it has a very loose way to attach compared to the KP.

I'm sorry this is complete BS.
01-28-2017, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #461
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
My SuperA which has a handgrip very similar to the KP has NEVER lost its grip. And it has a very loose way to attach compared to the KP.

I'm sorry this is complete BS.
I just can't discern any legitimate motivation to pursue his line of criticism.
01-28-2017, 07:16 AM   #462
Pentaxian

It's criticism for the sake of criticism, an extreme case of sour grapes perhaps?

It's not like we'd notice a slight creak in the K-1's grip, but would be completely oblivious to the KP's hand grip not being properly secured.
01-28-2017, 07:45 AM - 3 Likes   #463
bxf
Veteran Member

A few comments:

Size of KP may not appear to be different from preceding models, but body is thinner and lower in most places. It's just the maximum dimensions that are similar and lead to incorrect conclusions when comparing numbers only to other models.

Retro does not necessarily mean similar to old Pentax models. I find the KP having an outline that reminds me of Contax RTS bodies, for example.

We need to stop assuming that each new body is intended to satisfy the requirements/desires of enthusiasts. The only thing that seems wrong with this camera is that it may be overpriced for "common" users. Feature wise, it probably more than meets their requirements.
01-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #464
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Even when you lose the screw entirely the grip will still remain attached the the camera. You have to slide it off in the opposite direction, the weight of the camera is pulling. You would have to be pretty incompetent to drop the camera because of a loose grip.
As far as I can see from the image the opposite. You have to press the grip towards the lens mount to secure it, and push it towards the SD slot to loosen it.

Look out for 3D printed and other 3. party crafted grips.. Maybe even some Hasselblad NEX inspired ones..

I hope Pentax makes more cameras that are compatible with the same grips.
01-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #465
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
A few comments:

Size of KP may not appear to be different from preceding models, but body is thinner and lower in most places. It's just the maximum dimensions that are similar and lead to incorrect conclusions when comparing numbers only to other models.

Retro does not necessarily mean similar to old Pentax models. I find the KP having an outline that reminds me of Contax RTS bodies, for example.
Mirrorbox dictates the minimum size. But the Contax RTS came out in the 70s ... it just borrowed design from 20 years of predecessors (largely Contax themselves but also Pentax who 'borrowed' design from Contax very early on [see Pentax AP]).

It is interesting how the originators/innovators, it seems sometimes, are not the long term leaders in a market.

If you went to photography club, you could mention Contax and get blank stares all day. It was the companies that took designs from other companies, and further built off the previous designs, that we know today.

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
We need to stop assuming that each new body is intended to satisfy the requirements/desires of enthusiasts. The only thing that seems wrong with this camera is that it may be overpriced for "common" users. Feature wise, it probably more than meets their requirements.
Well the issue, again, with this specific camera is it was relayed to us initially as THE enthusiast body.

And, again, that information has been corrected by Ricoh directly.

There wouldn't have been such a furor had that bit of early (false) info not been stated. There wasn't a big panic due to the K-70 launch, nor the K-S2, or even the K-50. Because, from the start, it was never stated by anyone that they were intended to replace the enthusiast body in the line up.

In short, the reality isn't as you make it out to be -- 'we' can accept different tiers.

The other issue was/is the price which is coming in higher than any mid-tier has in recent history thus far at launch (which also added weight to the early claims that this was the replacement enthusiast body in the line up).

However, None of our praise or criticism is going to affect it. Only our buying (or not) decision will. We will see in 6 months what the market really thought of KP.