01-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Now where is the quick release grip?

01-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well the mystery is over about looks and specs....comment on the sensor will probably come after Ricohs official statement.
Now that's wishful thinking
01-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Sensor is very interesting. We've been waiting for a significant improvement in aps-c land for 3 years now? (Since the K-5 IIs)
K-3II replacement could be a bit of an animal
Ref those complaining about cost / expense, it's your currency losing value and not cameras getting more expensive. Do some research on Gbp vs J Yen or $ vs Yen or € vs Yen over the last 12 months.
Yen has been weak vs. USD, EUR and GBP since September. USD and EUR are about the same as a year ago - just a few points weaker vs. JPY; GBP meaningfully so.
Attached Images

Last edited by monochrome; 01-24-2017 at 05:53 PM.
01-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Same sensor as Sony A6500 but lower frame rate and no 4K video?
Wouldn't 4K & frame rate be more a function of the CPU/image processor than the sensor? The latest Milbeaut can do 4K (as in D500), but IIRC, PRIME IV is one generation older.

01-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #80

Here some more news from the guy in the video:

KP should focus fast (according him) even in low light and low contrast situations.

Buffer is for aprox. 60 photos JPEG/ 23 RAW and speed is about 8,3 fps. According his test, 50 JPEG in speed arround 5 fps (low light conditions), then it slows.
Shutter: 1/6000 sec; 1/24000 electronic
The price should by $1000+

KP is little bit bigger than K-3 II.

Button in the left corner of the back side is for horizontal level. It is possible to switch it on in the viewfinder.

IS should be able to around 5 EV (He has not try this out yet, but it should work pretty well according brief use).
IS is able to correct horizontal level.

It has wifi and smart phone APP control.
01-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone in one of these threads made a secondhand comment about how it feels better when you hold the KP, but for me the ergonomics of holding a K-30 just by my right hand (inserted into a hand strap) compared to my trusty old film camera is a deal breaker. Diminishing returns in the form of real life convenience kick in with more than 3 customized settings available from buttons and dials. I agree with Adam's comment, this is a weird camera.

01-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #82
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pely Quote
KP is little bit bigger than K-3 II.
KP looks tiny to me in the hands of the video reviewer! Maybe he just has large hands..

01-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
KP looks tiny to me in the hands of the video reviewer! Maybe he just has large hands..
Personally I think it is a bit higher, but it is not so bulky.
01-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The K-3 replacement must be pretty fascinating then...
I suspect this is a K-3 replacement if not a successor. There are indications that the K-3II has been discontinued.
01-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #85
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Now where is the quick release grip?
I noticed that too.. battery grip has the traditional wheel/screw implementation. haha

---------- Post added 01-24-17 at 07:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I suspect this is a K-3 replacement if not a successor. There are indications that the K-3II has been discontinued.

Perhaps, yet Asahi man has stated emphatically today that there is a K-3 II successor coming (and this isn't it).

I suspect they are announcing this camera early to make way for the K-3 II successor. Maybe they don't launch at CP+ but only provide a mockup.. either way, I'm still waiting to see what they offer this time next month.
01-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Someone in one of these threads made a secondhand comment about how it feels better when you hold the KP, but for me the ergonomics of holding a K-30 just by my right hand (inserted into a hand strap) compared to my trusty old film camera is a deal breaker. Diminishing returns in the form of real life convenience kick in with more than 3 customized settings available from buttons and dials. I agree with Adam's comment, this is a weird camera.
Are you saying you like K-30 better or "trusty old film camera" better??
01-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Nothing about the astro feature?
01-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I noticed that too.. battery grip has the traditional wheel/screw implementation. haha
I asked about that upthread. Someone responded that is the portrait corollary to the front e-dial.

IDK about that . . .
01-24-2017, 06:32 PM - 2 Likes   #89
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As my last Pentax lens went out the door today I find the announcement of a new retro style body to be most amusing. With four Fuji X bodies as well as 11 lenses in my photographic tool box I am now fully committed to shooting Fujifilm after 39 years of shooting Pentax products. Nine years ago, after conversations with the photography instructors of two schools here in Arizona, I wrote a letter to Pentax. That letter was translated and written in Japanese by a friend of mine who is an English/Japanese translator for major businesses in Japan. In that letter I stressed the need for Pentax to develop a good build, high quality, dependable digital version of the K-1000. Both instructors and at least one other that I have spoken with since then, have said that if a digital K-1000 was available it would be on the schools highly recommended list and like the K-1000 could end up being their camera of choice for photography classes especially if a fully manual mode was stressed.

Last year, while breakfasting at the prestigious Wrigley mansion here in Arizona I spotted two young folks shooting with K-1000’s. In conversation they told me that the cameras were owned by their school in Northern Carolina and were supplied for use during their photography course. Each camera had a number painted on it. They also noted that the school was about to rewrite their photography program and go all digital. This seemed to echo what those teachers had told me years earlier. My frustrations with a lot of what has happened with Pentax in the past nine years, such as their near complete abandonment of us here in the USA and by their being bought by Ricoh (I just do not trust thatcompany) I sold off all my Pentax equipment ( I still have my Q7, K-110D and film cameras) and headed for Fuji which provides me with the retro feel and controls that fit my SLR style of shooting better than classical DSLR controls. NOW it appears that Pentax is FINALLY waking up but as usual instead of being leaders, they are following down the retro path cleared by the Olympus OM and Fujifilm X series of cameras.
01-24-2017, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #90
ogl
Banned

K-3 - 131 × 100 × 77 mm

How is KP more compact? 131.5 x 101 x 76.0 mm