Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #16
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery
There is nice some expected specifications, but some of them are really surprise. ISO is extremely high for APS-C sensor, 5axis SR with 5 stops is cool, video is more basic, but this is is mainly classical DSLR for photo shooting with optical viewfinder with 100% coverage. Interesting, very interesting...

01-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Prime IV with image accelerator unit? The K-1 had to do with only the Prime IV processor...
01-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What's that thumbwheel on the battery grip?
I think it may replicate the control wheel on the camera front, when the whole thing is turned 90 degrees and used in portrait mode? Olympus have a similar arrangement and it works extremely well making it both very easy to use the camera and allowing a stable grip in portrait mode. There are more than a few hints of Olympus in this new design. I think Ricoh have been taking a close look
01-24-2017, 02:49 PM - 18 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Only a small comment between the speculation,this is NOT the K-3 ll replacement.
Maybe more next days,but the upper class model in the line of 3 is coming up later.
Best regards

01-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I think it may replicate the control wheel on the camera front, when the whole thing is turned 90 degrees and used in portrait mode? Olympus have a similar arrangement and it works extremely well making it both very easy to use the camera and allowing a stable grip in portrait mode. There are more than a few hints of Olympus in this new design. I think Ricoh have been taking a close look
Which might explain the need for a new connector mechanism.

Given KAF4 and PLM, the eShutter and ISO spec, plus SR ll and DRll are interesting.
01-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Only a small comment between the speculation,this is NOT the K-3 ll replacement.
Maybe more next days,but the upper class model in the line of 3 is coming up later.
Best regards
Thanks, that talke all speculation.
01-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #22
Pentaxian

,this is NOT the K-3 ll replacement
YES, as we thought....

01-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #23
Pentaxian

The specs all look rather interesting. It's like an updated K-3/3II.

- 27-point 'SAFOX 11' autofocus system (25 cross-type)

^ It looks like they didn't even try to revamp the AF system. Pretty much exact same AF system from before.

- 'PRIME IV' image processing engine with image accelerator unit

^ However, I wonder if that will give the AF system a small performance boost. Hmmm....

Makes me wonder if Pentax has something else up their sleeve for CP+.
01-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #24

Later this year or photokina 2018?
01-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
- 'PRIME IV' image processing engine with image accelerator unit
Aka low noise, as we saw in the K-70. Definitely promising, especially for JPEG shooters.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
819 200 iso?!
ISO100 * 2^13 = ISO 819200. I wonder if the noise levels are any lower at ISO 100-12800 or if its just a spec tiger to compete with D500.

The electronic shutter looks nice, even If I doubt I will ever need to try it.

Other then that it looks like a K-70 II design study.
01-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #27
Forum Member

Best regards
Wow, that is great and big news! If the mid-range looks this good, can't wait to see the K-3 II replacement.
01-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Best regards
Thank you very much!!! I'm really waiting for the K-3/3II replacement!
01-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best regards
The K-3 replacement must be pretty fascinating then...
01-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Prime IV with image accelerator unit? The K-1 had to do with only the Prime IV processor...
This is reminding me of an article I read on Imaging-Resource in which they concluded that a lot of the gain in high-ISO image quality in recent years has had more to do with processing improvements than with actual sensor improvements -- looks like Ricoh took this to heart. We saw what the accelerator unit did for the K-70; given that Ricoh dared to offer ISO 819,200 on the KP, I'll be very interested to see what its high ISO samples look like...

---------- Post added 01-24-17 at 04:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The K-3 replacement must be pretty fascinating then...
... but at what price? (Assuming the KP price rumors are accurate)