Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ah so , you think the KP is a low cost version suppose to replace the K70, and that a K3 replacement would be a step above?
K-70 is too young to be replaced now. It was announced in June last year.

01-24-2017, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
The logic is for a sports/wildlife camera to compliment the scenic K-1
Yes, its needed for the brand loyalists....so it should also include 4k video
01-24-2017, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
... but at what price? (Assuming the KP price rumors are accurate)
Take a look at the price of the D500 and guess...
01-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #49

Kind of dissapointed...

I was hoping some video improvements....seems like Ricoh doesnt realize that photographers have been becoming filmmakers and cinematographers too, since the DSLR filmmaking revolution in 2009. Pentax bodies, and K mount have a HUGE potential for becoming mainstrean, just giving 4k and a clean hdmi output. The GH5 or Sonys doesnt have lenses, or just have lenses through adapters. Pentax have a whole line of amazing APSC (Super 35mm) lenses. Lots of Pentax K mount MF legacy lenses are adapted to GH5, Sonys and Canon (not that much nowdays*) every day.

I dont know how they are not seeing this. Is just crazy. Canikon is not seeing it neither, so the clock goes on and Pentax misses the oportunity to groundbreak the DSLR/MILC filmmaker world.

01-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #50
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Vantage-Point Quote
Would you think it would be worth buying the K-P if it costs $1100 USD?
Cameras are getting expensive...... (I think I said that almost one year ago....). The market for camera's over 1000 euro is not that big.
01-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Yep don't tell yet! Remember the same AF module has been improving from the K-3 to the K-3II and to the K-1... Don't you think they will have make some fine tuning on this new one too?
you may get some placebo AF improvements effect, even if very small :-)
01-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
Kind of dissapointed...

I was hoping some video improvements....seems like Ricoh doesnt realize that photographers have been becoming filmmakers and cinematographers too, since the DSLR filmmaking revolution in 2009. Pentax bodies, and K mount have a HUGE potential for becoming mainstrean, just giving 4k and a clean hdmi output. The GH5 or Sonys doesnt have lenses, or just have lenses through adapters. Pentax have a whole line of amazing APSC (Super 35mm) lenses. Lots of Pentax K mount MF legacy lenses are adapted to GH5, Sonys and Canon (not that much nowdays*) every day.

I dont know how they are not seeing this. Is just crazy. Canikon is not seeing it neither, so the clock goes on and Pentax misses the oportunity to groundbreak the DSLR/MILC filmmaker world.
I think Ricoh must see the potential in video, but it seems to me that they have a plan suitable for a small manufacturer trying to grow incrementally in a changing market, and that plan, in part, is to consolidate and grow in the stills market. The alternative is to "do a Sony" and invest hugely is a multiplicity of alternative niches, and return small or negative amounts on the investment. Samsung had started to do the same thing, until they realised there was better return on investment to be made elsewhere.

We'll see better where this new Pentax fits in the plan, tomorrow.

01-24-2017, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #53
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I am somewhat confused, there will be a K-3II replacement (great!) and the k-70 is new out, so where is this KP sitting?, who is it aimed at?
The smaller grip with options is the main physical feature and the weight is that of the K-70 anyway. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
If you want to shoot hummingbirds at 1/24000th at iso 819.200..........then this is your go to camera
01-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
I was hoping some video improvements....seems like Ricoh doesnt realize that photographers have been becoming filmmakers and cinematographers too, since the DSLR filmmaking revolution in 2009.
Might happen in the next body after the KP!
01-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #55

Ah, they should use the 27AF point on all their systems! I do have trouble fitting it in ? Is it a replacement for the K3II or a more expensive K 70? But still let us dream about what needs to happen: decent wifi and multimedia options (not those apps that seems like they are build for Android 0.9 beta) a more open source system so I can use a HSS flash that does not cost me a arm and a leg. Software updates! People like updates, get a dedicated team who work on updates, be like fuji! And of topic get on your knees and beg Sigma to make some recent lenses for the K-mount. Sigma is HOT, Tamron not so much ...
01-24-2017, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

Give the weight of this KP ; it looks like they've done a K3 version carbon frame like the D750. That's a pretty good idea; if the body is lower cost and good AF; could be a light weight high quality travel kit.
01-24-2017, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What amazes me is that nobody has made any comments or remarks about the new sensor.

24.33 Mpix: this is not the K-3 II sensor (6,016 x 4,000), nor the K-70 sensor (6,000 x 4,000).
01-24-2017, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

There are other photos online, it looks like a mini K1.
First picture of the Pentax KP DSLR camera leaked online | Photo Rumors

Design looks good, closer to stylish mirrorless cam.
01-24-2017, 03:49 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Ah so , you think the KP is a low cost version suppose to replace the K70, and that a K3 replacement would be a step above?
It term of pure specs it is in between K70 and K3. Basically K70 done right with good enough PDAF.

Sure on sensor/software processing it is better than K3 because it is newer. But that a light body, not the fully pro/heavy body of K3/K5/K7. The max FPS is reduced compared to K3 and only match K5.

There isn't something really new like new AF module with more AF points. This is just a different mix of things we already knew from a photographic point of view.

People having a K3 or K3-II are not going to get that noticable improvement in particular if they know their ways arround raw processing software or don't think the pinacle of photography is to shoot black cats in a tunnel! On some aspect, it is indeed not as good as previous flagship.

Still this doesn't look like a bad camera. By far. It look like it has everything you might ever need if you are not extremely picky. Not a flagship, not the latest/greaterst, but there doesn't seems to be any weakness in it. That a much better offer than a K70/KS2 or K50... If the price is right, that going to be the camera to buy for most people in the market!

Last edited by Nicolas06; 01-24-2017 at 04:00 PM.
01-24-2017, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There are other photos online, it looks like a mini K1.
First picture of the Pentax KP DSLR camera leaked online | Photo Rumors

Design looks good, closer to stylish mirrorless cam.
These pictures were published in the other thread more than twelve hours ago .