Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 08:19 PM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Choice of hand grips? (The front wheel attaches the hand grip?)
Choice of battery grips?
Leatherette coverings?
ME-F styling cues on non-grip side.
Classic ME prism hump (practically identical side profile).
100% OVF, no GPS, Wi-Fi not mentioned?
What about flash?
KP designation derivative of AP on 60th Anniversary?
So So technology / internals (with the new 24Mp sensor, the super ISO and e shutter)?

This is a specialty camera, not a flagship or mid-range core body. They're testing some new stuff in an interesting body that has some nostalgic value to old Pentax users (mostly old Japanese men). I'd bet they have a planned production run that they complete and then move on.

Same thing they tried with K-01 (which tested the new, lighter IBIS and more modular assembly techniques used in K-30). Even though I just sold my K-3 and I'd have to sell some things I want to keep I might eventually be interested.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-25-2017 at 10:18 AM.
01-24-2017, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^^

I care nothing for nostalgia, and I'm not an old Japanese man, but if the KP has the quiet shutter and because of the flippy screen I am interested.
01-24-2017, 08:22 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-3 - 131 × 100 × 77 mm

How is KP more compact? 131.5 x 101 x 76.0 mm
The prism is as tall as the K-3, but the shoulders of the camera are lower. The front grip is much smaller, obviously.
01-24-2017, 08:25 PM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I care nothing for nostalgia, and I'm not an old Japanese man, but if the KP has the quiet shutter and because of the flippy screen I am interested.
I'm an old American man - but the nostalgia component works for me also {see #95 above}, as does the quiet shutter and flippy screen. On the other hand, the financial issues that caused me to buy a used-like-new K-30 twenty months ago are still around.

01-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #110

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Sensor is very interesting. We've been waiting for a significant improvement in aps-c land for 3 years now? (Since the K-5 IIs)
K-3II replacement could be a bit of an animal
Ref those complaining about cost / expense, it's your currency losing value and not cameras getting more expensive. Do some research on Gbp vs J Yen or $ vs Yen or € vs Yen over the last 12 months.
complaining about cost / expense
01-24-2017, 08:28 PM - 3 Likes   #111
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Mee and ogl, get a grip guys, you're roasting it pretty hard, maybe move on?
Oh this is not roasting.. at least not by me. But this is not the camera we are looking for.

So far the specs seem unusually similar to what they already offer.. for an estimated higher price. It will be interesting to see what the actual specs are and updated features (hopefully in the next 24 hours).

I also would like to see this as a question if Adam and PF get to interview Ricoh at CP+... that is Why the KP? Where does this align with their camera lineup?

It just doesn't compute for me right now.. dividing by zero. Head smoking... blort blort.
01-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #112
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The prism is as tall as the K-3, but the shoulders of the camera are lower. The front grip is much smaller, obviously.
The same size.

And there are 3 types of hand-grips.

01-24-2017, 08:32 PM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^

The K-1 shutter really is just a >snick<. I bought a used K-S1 and it sounds like a 77mm howitzer. The articulated screen is really useful, too.
01-24-2017, 08:37 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm an old American man - but the nostalgia component works for me also {see #95 above}, as does the quiet shutter and flippy screen. On the other hand, the financial issues that caused me to buy a used-like-new K-30 twenty months ago are still around.
I feel your pain - I'm interested int he new camera, but unsure I can afford it. And my K-01 and K-5 II are such good cameras, I actually feel rather blessed with an abundance of riches.

There is an aspect of the "nostalgia component" that works for me - the KP might have superior controls that mitigates the need for menu-diving. That has less to do with the aesthetics of a nostalgic design and more to do with the "old school" function-over-form ethos that has not been seen in many modern digital cameras. The more variables I can adjust without taking my eye from the OVF, the better.
01-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm an old American man - but the nostalgia component works for me also {see #95 above}, as does the quiet shutter and flippy screen.
I agree with your 2-hand comfort considerations (except K-1 - it just plain fits right), and suggest the very idea of a removable hand grip is a throw back . . . . and I did say mostly old Japanese men.

I still think it's a one-off. That's how it can fit between K-70 / K-Flagship - it doesn't need to.
01-24-2017, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The K-1 shutter really is just a >snick<. I bought a used K-S1 and it sounds like a 77mm howitzer. The articulated screen is really useful, too.
K100D/K2000/K-x the shutter rarely bothered me. After a brief hiatus from ILC I bought the "fire sale" K-01 and became so accustomed to the gentle shutter sound that when I bought a K-30 to supplement it yes, the sound felt howitzeresque. Bye-bye, K-30, hello K-5 II*

* I bought the K-5 II last year in the Marketplace from a fella who was essentially dumping it at a shockingly low price so he could buy a K-1. Thank you, Ricoh!
01-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I bought a used K-S1 and it sounds like a 77mm howitzer.
Same as the K-30/50/500/S2 - they don't call it the "sonic boom" for nothing!

QuoteOriginally posted by Pely Quote
Shutter: 1/6000 sec; 1/24000 electronic
This concerns me - the "sonic boom" shutter has a top speed of 1/6000 - the quiet shutter is 1/8000.
01-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
This concerns me - the "sonic boom" shutter has a top speed of 1/6000 - the quiet shutter is 1/8000.
Wow, that would be so disappointing... on the other hand, it would lead me away from temptation.
01-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, that would be so disappointing... on the other hand, it would lead me away from temptation.
I hope it's not the case. The mysterious "hump" on the side of the mirror box appears to be in the same place and of roughly the same size on both. (None of the "sonic boom" bodies has the hump, and I assume it has something to do with the aperture, mirror, or shutter.)

01-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #120
mee
Veteran Member

Will we see 80 dollar custom, wooden handgrips for this by a 3rd party? Your choice of Teak or Mahogany? haha