Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 02:48 AM   #151
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I look forwforw to more info on this.

That's a LOT more than the current K-1/K-3/645Z 86kb RGB sensor. Would be wonderful if true.
Is a mistranslation. Google often makes that specific mistake. It's 86,000 in the Japanese text.

I wouldn't panic too much based on yen conversions. That won't be the street price anyway even in Japan, and the dollar price is likely to be significantly lower as usual. However, I think Ricoh is going to try to sell this as a "premium" item, which means they'll try to pitch it on the high side at first.

01-25-2017, 02:52 AM   #152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Does that need to add 200g weight over the Fuji?
I'm not a camera engineer but K mount and the mirror both contribute.....Pentax build their cameras to last as you know....
01-25-2017, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I don't think so. That's K-3II intro pricing. This will be more like K-70 intro pricing, and I bet the price will drop quickly once the K-3II replacement is announced.
This is indeed a problem. There has been quite a lot of chopping and changing in recent years with items like the KS1, KS2, K70 and now the KP, in addition to the K3 series. Each new item takes a slightly different direction and set of design cues, and my impression is that it then heads south and the bargain bins begin to sing the moment a new direction is announced. How long is the KP going to last for before the direction changes again? Ricoh need a vision worth sticking with.
01-25-2017, 02:54 AM   #154
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I'm not a camera engineer but K mount and the mirror both contribute.....Pentax build their cameras to last as you know....
I am not a camera engineer either

It is always a trade off between built well and lighter weight.

01-25-2017, 02:58 AM   #155

QuoteOriginally posted by jaqob Quote
But, the problem is that the rumored price here seems to be €1,130, while we can by the K-3 II, from respectable retailers, for around €750...
I have assumed here that the KP is cost wise an inferior camera, I'm just assuming that the rumors are wrong. Cant understand why would people buy a camera with no top LCD, larger battery, better build quality, no gps and an inferior shutter at the same or higher cost than something which has all these.
01-25-2017, 02:59 AM   #156
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
- Motion bracket, depth-of-field bracketing function
What is this? Is it something new, or is it available in previous Pentax cameras?
I hope that it is a way to automate focus stacking (i.e. focus bracketing rather than aperture bracketing).
01-25-2017, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
I have assumed here that the KP is cost wise an inferior camera, I'm just assuming that the rumors are wrong. Cant understand why would people buy a camera with no top LCD, larger battery, better build quality, no gps and an inferior shutter at the same or higher cost than something which has all these.
Maybe for greater IQ and high ISO performance. If it offers greater images that is what counts more for some photographers at the end of the day. We have to wait and see.

01-25-2017, 03:03 AM   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
There's also a lot of glass in the pentaprism. You can lighten the mirror mechanism and the mirror box through the use of lightweight synthetic materials and exotic alloy metals, but if you want a DSLR with a great viewfinder, the lightweight replacement is a pentamirror, which doesn't quite meet that requirement. Accept those changes from the current Pentax philosophy, and you'd have a lightweight DSLR body that was (against common wisdom) both rugged and solid (and still well-sealed).
01-25-2017, 03:04 AM   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
How long is the KP going to last for before the direction changes again?
I'm guessing the KP is a test of the market, kind of like the K-01 was?...it doesnt fit the k30/50/70 line....or K7/5/3.
01-25-2017, 03:08 AM   #160
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Accept those changes from the current Pentax philosophy, and you'd have a lightweight DSLR body that was (against common wisdom) both rugged and solid (and still well-sealed).
Don't worry about me, I just want to defy the laws of physics and have everything - solid, well built body with OVF best in class, and light weight
01-25-2017, 03:10 AM   #161

QuoteOriginally posted by Ptitboul Quote
What is this? Is it something new, or is it available in previous Pentax cameras?
I hope that it is a way to automate focus stacking (i.e. focus bracketing rather than aperture bracketing).
motion bracket could only mean shutter speed bracketing - how much motion blur you need, and DOF bracketing should be Aperture bracketing.

I'm not sure, but I think It was possible to get shutter bracketing it using workarounds like having constant ISO & Aperture with bracketing enables, in case of Aperture bracketing, shutter was kept constant.

Its just that now its a dedicated feature.
01-25-2017, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #162
Forum Member

I'm not sure, but I think It was possible to get shutter bracketing it using workarounds like having constant ISO & Aperture with bracketing enables, in case of Aperture bracketing, shutter was kept constant.
Yes, indeed, this is possible e.g. with my K-5 II.
I was hoping for focus bracketing, which Olympus cameras can do since a few years, for example (E-M1 got this feature through a firmware update...)
01-25-2017, 03:29 AM   #163

QuoteOriginally posted by Ptitboul Quote
Yes, indeed, this is possible e.g. with my K-5 II.
I was hoping for focus bracketing, which Olympus cameras can do since a few years, for example (E-M1 got this feature through a firmware update...)
yes, focus bracketing is very practical and almost a necessity in macro & will do a lot of good, if present. In fact I want focus bracketing and automated focus stacking - using the concept of how HDR is created using exposure bracketing.
01-25-2017, 03:39 AM   #164
Veteran Member

In fact I want focus bracketing and automated focus stacking
Hopefully, sometime soon those technologies (if implemented by Pentax) will also enable automatic AF fine-tuning too (like the D500 does).
01-25-2017, 03:47 AM   #165

first pictures!
More Pentax KP pictures | Pentax Rumors