Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 09:38 AM - 2 Likes   #196
Banned

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I said it when the K-70 was presented......and repeating it now. This is way to expensive for the camera it is. At 1299 euro for body only they won't find many buyers in The Netherlands for the KP.

01-25-2017, 09:38 AM - 3 Likes   #197
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Interesting, this is the second APS-c camera to include the accelerator unit, that hasn't made it into the flagship APS-c models yet.

So this is a slightly improved K-70.
But, I end up asking, is buffer size really expensive? What's the deal with that?

I guess other people just don't fill their buffers as often as I do.
I would suspect it's watts, not dollars that limits the amount of buffer. The bigger the buffer, the greater the power draw on the battery.

And given Ricoh's decision to have user-swappable hand grips and a smaller battery, a bigger buffer may have put too much stress on that smaller battery.
01-25-2017, 09:43 AM - 4 Likes   #198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I'm still struggling top understand why people keep describing this camera as "retro." Other than the interchangeable grips, its appearance is in line with most modern Pentax DSLRs, and it looks nothing like the old metal bodied MF film SLRs.
I don't know if you've read through the couple of threads pertaining to the KP, but if you did you'd see that many people have a nearly obsessive need to pigeonhole this camera. Whether they are describing it as "retro" or attempting to assign it some place in a very linear Pentax DSLR hierarchy (OMG what's it replacing?!) folks just don't want to let the KP be what it is and judge it on its own qualities.
01-25-2017, 09:59 AM   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fg-one Quote
Yet another SLR... how boring! This is not what I longed for. I wish I could mount my numerous old lenses on a body equipped with a state of the art EVF. If Pentax does not come out with one soon, I will probably move to Fuji. The X-T20 is very tempting. It would probably offer a significant jump in IQ over my K5IIs and decent video, unlike the recent APS-C Pentax bodies.
Seems like you're ready to move on !
I use both Pentax and Fuji systems ... no brainer: both have their uses.

01-25-2017, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Interesting, this is the second APS-c camera to include the accelerator unit, that hasn't made it into the flagship APS-c models yet.

So this is a slightly improved K-70.
But, I end up asking, is buffer size really expensive? What's the deal with that?

I don't.

In over twenty years of using cameras with motor drive / burst mode, I have never shot even 24 images in a row.
I began using Kodachrome, and the habits I developed then still influence how I use a camera.
01-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While it would be nice to have a huge buffer, I at most usually shoot 4 or 5 shots in a row as I've framed up my shot with purpose before hand. Even if I want more, usually you can burst, recompose/refocus, burst, recompose/refocus.

I agree with @reh321, shoot film a bit and you waste a lot fewer shots.
01-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I'm still struggling top understand why people keep describing this camera as "retro." Other than the interchangeable grips, its appearance is in line with most modern Pentax DSLRs, and it looks nothing like the old metal bodied MF film SLRs.
I'll meet you half way. My first impression upon seeing the KP is an odd hybrid modern/retro styling. The
pentaprism, mirrorbox and mount surround are quite conventional and fit right in line with the K1 & K3. The
flat top plate and squared off dials definitely have a retro look about them, even if not as aggressively so
as the X100F and similar cameras. And the removable grip is straight off the LX2000.

It is a half step towards retro and could be insanely ugly or quite handsome depending on personal preference.
Personally, I think it's a pretty good looking camera, though the chunky, modern mirror box does spoil the
effect a bit.

01-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #203
Pentaxian

Original Poster
US price: US$1,199.95.

Source: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5RH90B/

Canadian price: CA$1,499.99.

Source: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N5RH90B/

Last edited by Mistral75; 01-25-2017 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Canadian price added
01-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by normhead:

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

I don't.

In over twenty years of using cameras with motor drive / burst mode, I have never shot even 24 images in a row.
I began using Kodachrome, and the habits I developed then still influence how I use a camera.
I don't either. While I've embraced so much about modern photography, particularly the digital age advances,
I have never adopted a habit of burst mode shooting. Continuous mode could even be removed from
my cameras and I probably wouldn't even notice, save for the fact that there was no longer an 'extra' mode
between single frame and self timer.

I do use the exposure bracketing and interval shooting modes on occasion as these replicate single frame
processes with a nice touch of modern automation.

---------- Post added 01-25-2017 at 11:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GearHead Quote
Interesting. They're calling it weather proof while the specs posted earlier described it as drip proof.
I took 'drip proof' to mean the camera can tolerate an occasional few drops of water but you wouldn't
want to be caught in a downpour, (that's when you'd want a weather proof camera).

So, is the KP weather proofed like the K3 & K1, or is it a lighter duty 'drip' proofing?

Last edited by tvdtvdtvd; 01-25-2017 at 10:43 AM.
01-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #205
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Two additional pictures found on the Amazon website.

01-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #206
Pentaxian

But where the whatever is the Wi-Fi control button? Or do you need a FluCard?
01-25-2017, 10:59 AM - 4 Likes   #207
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

$1,199 is a lot of money.

Launch Price:
K-S1 $749
K-S2 $799
K-70 $649
K-3ll $1,099
K-3 $1,299
K-1 $1,799

Last edited by monochrome; 01-25-2017 at 11:06 AM.
01-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #208

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Interesting. They're calling it weather proof while the specs posted earlier described it as drip proof.
Who posted the earlier specs? Translation problems?
01-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #209
Veteran Member

Some interesting specs listed on the Amazon ad:

QuoteQuote:
Maximum Aperture ƒ/1
Maximum Focal Length 450
Minimum Aperture ƒ/1
Minimum Focal Length 10
So the minimum and maximum aperture supported is f/1...

Also interesting that the camera will not work with lenses wider than 10mm or longer than 450mm.

This is the first time I've seen silly specs like this listed. Since when does a camera body have aperture and focal length limitations?
01-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Who posted the earlier specs? Translation problems?
Possibly? Specs posted by Mistral care of Nokishita Camera:
KP Specs