Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #211
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Possibly? Specs posted by Mistral care of Nokishita Camera:
KP Specs
Japanese text from Nokishita Camera:

防塵・防滴構造 = dust-proof / drip-proof [or splash-proof] construction.

防 = which prevents 塵 = dust, dirt 滴 = drop.

01-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
This is the first time I've seen silly specs like this listed. Since when does a camera body have aperture and focal length limitations?
Amazon apparently got lazy and didn't differentiate fixed-lens cameras from ILCs in that bit of programming... combined with "compatible mountings", looks like they really didn't want to bother with two separate categories of cameras.
01-25-2017, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #213
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
$1,199 is a lot of money.

Launch Price:
K-S1 $749
K-S2 $799
K-70 $649
K-3ll $1,099
K-3 $1,299
K-1 $1,799
It is really miss priced (my opinion) - in particular as it relates to the K70, which here in the US will not do it any favors. For that reason, I really do believe that it is aimed at other geographical markets. If the real K3II replacement shows up, there is little room for it - price wise. Priced too high, folks will just buy the K1 (and incur the lens premium penalty), or they will bit the bullet and overpay - keeping their current crop lenses.

Me - I'll just keep my K5IIs until sanity returns to the prices and then make a decision.

01-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
$1,199 is a lot of money.

Launch Price:
K-S1 $749
K-S2 $799
K-70 $649
K-3ll $1,099
K-3 $1,299
K-1 $1,799
Partly due to exchange rates. It is a very capable camera but it is going to punished for AF performance. Again... It offers IBIS and pixel shift res over Fuji (and weather sealing over the cheaper x-t20) But Fuji have Better AF and better Video. The AF isn't totally useless though but video will almost certainly be rudimentary on this camera. No monitoring jack, no HDMI, digital SR that does more bad than good for IQ.

01-25-2017, 11:45 AM - 2 Likes   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
It is really miss priced (my opinion) - in particular as it relates to the K70, which here in the US will not do it any favors. For that reason, I really do believe that it is aimed at other geographical markets. If the real K3II replacement shows up, there is little room for it - price wise. Priced too high, folks will just buy the K1 (and incur the lens premium penalty), or they will bit the bullet and overpay - keeping their current crop lenses.

Me - I'll just keep my K5IIs until sanity returns to the prices and then make a decision.

My guess is that it's a special trophy edition kind of camera. Pentax might have budgeted on the basis they really don't need to sell many at all in the Americas and Europe, hence the price. However, in time I suspect a few folks will come to love the KP, consider it the #1 most enjoyable camera they have had for a long while and still be using it five years later with a custom grip or two and, very importantly, their limited lenses. A K-01 kind of thing. You just have to be part of that group or perhaps better to pass. At any rate, I don't think the price matters. At least, I hope not. If this is presented as mainstream then it is going to be a very tough sell where I live considering what the same outlay or less can get you elsewhere and considering what is not included like a full mag body, larger battery or full WR.
01-25-2017, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
My guess is that it's a special trophy edition kind of camera.
Nothing wrong with that, even if I'm not oriented that way. Another consideration is that it is better to showcase a new product that produces strong opinions for and against than to not showcase any new products.
01-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #217
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Based on these specs and the camera's appearance, it looks like they're going after a very specific set of users: those who value image quality and build quality but don't necessarily need the speed of an APS-C flagship (which would have a larger buffer and faster AF). I think it would make sense if we eventually saw a model higher than this, essentially an APS-C K-1 in a smaller body with faster burst. The lack of a 1/8000s mechanical shutter speed would seem to suggest this.

That said, this camera might make a lot of sense for people who were eyeing the K-1 but thought it was too expensive, yet still wanted something with better image quality than the current APS-C offerings. That's obviously something that we'll have to test first-hand
A K-1 lite? I have to disagree both with the description and the attempt to turn potential K-1 savers heads. K-1 is quite another beast. I will call it a K-70 sibling or K-S2 replacement.

01-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
28fps? that's faster than the IMX271 can handle. You could shoot 6k 24p video with that kind of speed.
not 28 fps (frames per second), but 28 f (frames). Since its 7 fps that would take 4 seconds to fill the buffer.

You could make a timelaps movie recorded in 4 seconds, viewed in 1 second, (1/4 normal speed), that is 6K.
01-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #219
Veteran Member

Me too, or maybe buy a used K-1 for ~ 1299 $ if I find that price before 2018. If not, I'll try to get an even lower price as the camera gets older. Or I will look at other options.
01-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #220

Just when I'm about ready to buy another K-3 because, imo, it is the best APS-C camera... decisions, decisions.
01-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #221
Huy
Forum Member

Has anybody posted it?

Pentax KP is now on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5RH90B/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&ta...02f74151eb639b

Where's the deep grip?
01-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #222

Same here. The K5IIS still shines IQ-wise, and it is even a little bit smaller than the KP.

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2017 at 21:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Seems like you're ready to move on !
I use both Pentax and Fuji systems ... no brainer: both have their uses.
I might go to Fuji for a while, adapting my Pentax lenses, and move back to Pentax when they finally come out with an outstanding MILC. After so long time, it will have to be outstanding...
01-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Huy Quote
Where's the deep grip?
Items included:

GRIP S O-GP167 W/SCREW KIT GRIP M O-GP1671 W/SCREW KIT GRIP L O-GP1672 W/SCREW KIT RECHARGEABLE L-ION BATTERY D-LII90(U) BATTERY CHARGER D-BC109(A) AC PLUG CORD D-CO68U SOFTWARE S-SW167 PENTAX STRAP O-ST162 PENTAX EYECUP FR HOTSHOE COVER FK BODY MOUNT CAP KII TRIANGULAR RING PROTECTIVE COVER BATTERY GRIP TERMINAL COVER

Three grips included. Assume that's a typo about the included battery. Surely the D-LI109 is included, not the misspelled D-LI(I)90.

---------- Post added 01-25-2017 at 02:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The top plate and dials (which are modeled after the current lens styling) are styled nearly identically to the K-1, which I've seen no one call retro. Ditching the LCD and moving the shutter release back (to accommodate the interchangeable grips) may make it seem flatter at first glance, but it's not. The vertical front dial is also a compromise to accommodate the grip as well.

Like I said, the only real "retro" part about it is the removable grip. Pentax has done a retro camera before, complete with leatherette, old school font, and chrome plated brass exterior. Retro is pretty clearly not what they had in mind here.
Fair points. I think the removal of the bulky K1 grip and the raised, squared off shutter release of the KP also
accentuates the retro look of the flat top. Removing/changing that massive, modern grip really does affect
the overall profile of the camera. The K-1 would have a similar 'retro' look about it if the grip was removed
and the shutter release raised and squared off like the KP.
01-25-2017, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #224

QuoteOriginally posted by rbelyell Quote
dont be so sure. ive shot fuji and unless youre willing to spend lots of time on PP, i (and many others) found the xtrans sensor yields RAW results that cannot hold a candle to any of fujis competitors. a friendly suggestion is that you borrow or rent a fuji before investing.
Thank you for the advice. I was basing my opinion on some comparisons I made using RAW files dowloaded from DRP, but this is not real life. More valuable is others' experience.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2017 at 22:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I'm still struggling top understand why people keep describing this camera as "retro." Other than the interchangeable grips, its appearance is in line with most modern Pentax DSLRs, and it looks nothing like the old metal bodied MF film SLRs.
Quite right. If it had speed and ISO dials, one could start talking about retro look but I don't see much here that reminds me of my old Mx. The Fuji XT-s are much closer.

Last edited by fg-one; 01-25-2017 at 02:00 PM.
01-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #225
Pentaxian

Nice camera

Nice looking camera. I like that Pentax seem to have carried over the "three wheel" control scheme from the K-1.

That is, to me, a smart compromise between old school shutter speed dial + aperture ring, versus the electronic control wheel.

Personally, I hate the electronic control wheel. Have since the Pentax PZ1p and Nikon F90. It's a cheat, that saves camera makers money, while not improving ergonomics.

And I'm not an old guy (yet )