Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 269 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #256
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
When will this be released in the market again?
It's available for pre-order. Shipping February 23rd, a week before CP+...It's right there in the press release...

Pentax KP Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

01-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's available for pre-order. Shipping February 23rd, a week before CP+...It's right there in the press release...

Pentax KP Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
Thanks, I am in the market for an new camera (or new format/system if needed be), the price is bit too ambitious imho.
01-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #258
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by th1952 Quote
B&H has the KP listed at 1099. A little more reasonable. I am curious about the depth of field bracketing. Does anyone know what motion bracketing is?
It has to be some sort of automated focus stacking....

01-25-2017, 06:00 PM   #259

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I won't buy one because it doesn't say Ricoh on the back!
I won't buy one because there is no USB cable in the box.

01-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #260
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Thanks, I am in the market for an new camera (or new format/system if needed be), the price is bit too ambitious imho.
Agreed. And, if this is the mid-tier body (and asahi man is correct) how much is the K-3 II replacement going to cost? We're already at K-3 II initial price with the KP.
01-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #261
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Nice looking camera. I like that Pentax seem to have carried over the "three wheel" control scheme from the K-1.

That is, to me, a smart compromise between old school shutter speed dial + aperture ring, versus the electronic control wheel.

Personally, I hate the electronic control wheel. Have since the Pentax PZ1p and Nikon F90. It's a cheat, that saves camera makers money, while not improving ergonomics.

And I'm not an old guy (yet )
I do agree with you about electronic control wheels and yet I can see why advances in camera design forced these changes.

Back when cameras had shutter speed ranges from 1 to 1/1000 sec (+Bulb), the control dial only needed 12 labels in the circle which is a little tight but is still fairly readable. But today's cameras range from 1/8000 to 30 sec (or more) which would require 19 labels on the dial which would make it unreadable. And if you let the person set shutter speed in 1/2 stop increments, that's nearly 40 tiny little positions of the wheel makes it hard to use and control.

Worse, old-style labelled dials are ergonomically nasty with automated metering because the camera is setting the shutter speed. That forces designers to either: 1) make the user to spin the wheel all the way to the end to get the "Auto" setting (and spin it back to get from "Auto" to get to a normal shutter speed); or 2) have a mode dial that ignores the shutter speed dial setting which is confusing for the user because they'll still see the setting of the wheel. I suppose they could build little motors into the wheel to spin it but that would draw a lot of power and make a lot of noise if the light levels are changing quickly.

That said, future e-dials could be enhanced if each one had a tiny display on top showing the current setting. The display could be OLED, LCD, or e-Ink.
01-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #262
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I like:
  • The design. I was lukewarm at first, but it's growing on me.
  • Lighter than a K-3.
  • The three handgrips, plus that the portrait grip can take both LI-109 and LI-90.
  • Tilting backscreen! Been wanting something like this on an APS-C body for a long time! I much prefer a screen that remains in the optical axis of the lens as opposed to the K-70's flip and tilt.
  • Silver version - nice!
  • Bulb timer. (I assume this is carried over from the K-70? Don't have it on my K-3. Want it.)
  • Pixel Shift. (Also not new and present on K-70, but also something I don't have on my K-3 and that I want.)
Dislike:
  • Less buffer than a K-70?! If I'm going to pay twice the K-70's price, the KP should match or top it on all specs. What were they thinking?! It didn't need to match the K-3, but damn...
  • Price. Seems very high, and value proposition is much less convincing than on my previous Pentax body purchases. Might go down with time though...
  • Single SD. Not a deal-breaker, but...
  • No GPS. Also not a deal-breaker, but would have been preferred. That onboard flash looks anemic.
Unsure or Indifferent:
  • Is it K-3 class shutter (quiet with 200k-actuation rating)? I really want to know.
  • New sensor (still 24MP and super-high ISO not a priority for me).
  • Electronic shutter. Maybe it'd grow on me...
  • Aperture and shutter speed bracketing. What I need is focus bracketing! Grrr!
  • Third wheel... Not sure, may be nice.

Last edited by Doundounba; 01-25-2017 at 07:28 PM.
01-25-2017, 07:20 PM   #263
Veteran Member

It seems the KP has a few [potentially] interesting features. Some are new to Pentax, like Slimport.

Slimport support, instead of providing a HDMI connector.

QuoteQuote:
SlimPort -
SlimPort - Connect mobile devices to displays

SlimPort® uses a single cable to deliver high-definition audio and video from your smartphone, tablet or other mobile device to a wide range of external displays, including projectors, PC monitors and HDTVs.
Seems pretty useful.

a new, highly sensitive APS-C CMOS sensor
Does this mean an entirely new sensor is inside, or is this just marketing hyperbole?

electronic shutter option
And works outside of pixel-shift mode. Probably will be standard with all Pentaxes now.

Autofocus
QuoteQuote:
A completely new, much-improved algorithm assures better autofocusing accuracy and speed than models equipped with the conventional SAFOX 11 module. The camera also provides useful customization features to assist in autofocus operation, such as a choice of operation modes—focus-priority, release-priority or advance-speed-priority
Better AF algorithm than even the K-1 or K3II ...Plus a new 'advanced speed priority' AF mode. Interesting.

QuoteQuote:
Autofocus:
  • Contrast Detect (sensor)
  • Multi-area
  • Center
  • Selective single-point
  • Tracking
  • Single
  • Continuous
  • Touch
  • Face Detection
  • Live View
So now we finally have functional face detection in PDAF autofocus? And touch AF too. (?)

Touch screen Yes
Press release specs say a touch screen, but no early reviews confirm.
01-25-2017, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #264

If this is a retro style camera for a niche like the Nikon DF then fine. It reminds me of my MZ-5N especially in the top plate area.

If this is intended to be the flagship APSC DSLR from Pentax then they've just made a big mistake.

What Pentax need for their flagship APSC is a K3 MK3 with improved autofocus, faster fps and deep burst mode, full weatherproofing i.e a full magnesium body), the K3 ergonomics (K7, K5, K3 are probably the most ergonomic cameras Pentax has ever produced - and yes I have a K1 and think the K3 has the edge), twin SD slots for professional shoot backup, long battery life, on board wifi, the articulated screen of the K1, the LED lighting of the K1, astrotracer and GPS. With that they really would have an answer to the D500 and EOS 7DMk3 which are currently the market leaders for anyone into wildlife, birds, sports and indeed shooting moving children.

As a Pentax user since 1981 and a huge lover of the marque I (I currently run a K1, K3, K5, MX-1 and a WG-M2 mk2) I really do think if this is going to replace the K3 they've made a big mistake and I really hope Asahiman is right that there's a new flagship APSC on the way...

Jonlg
01-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the photos on the link supplied by Doundounba, there appears to be 3 different interchangeable right-hand grips, I would hope all three being supplied with the body. That would be very innovative as well! Different grips for different hands, or even for different lens uses!
01-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #266

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
From the photos on the link supplied by Doundounba, there appears to be 3 different interchangeable right-hand grips, I would hope all three being supplied with the body. That would be very innovative as well! Different grips for different hands, or even for different lens uses!
From the Press Release on the North American website:

News
QuoteQuote:
A grip replacement system that lets photographers choose their preference of grip based on shooting style or lens choice. In addition to the standard grip that comes with the PENTAX KP, accessory grips include medium (M) and large (L) grips (these will come packaged with KP bodies sold in North America), as well as the optional D-BG7 Battery Grip.
The announcements on PentaxForums also state the additional grips will ship with the body.

---------- Post added 01-25-17 at 07:46 PM ----------

From the Ricoh Japan website (English version)

Button Customization:
  • Fx1 Button (EV Compensation, ISO Sensitivity, Preview, AE Lock, Change AF Area, One Push File Format, Electronic Level, Wi-Fi, Night Vision LCD Display, Operation Control Lock)
  • Fx2 Button (EV Compensation, ISO Sensitivity, Preview, AE Lock, Change AF Area, One Push File Format, Electronic Level, Operation Control Lock)
  • Fx3 Button (EV Compensation, ISO Sensitivity, Preview, AE Lock, Change AF Area, One Push File Format, Electronic Level, Operation Control Lock)
  • AF/AE-L button (AF1, AF2, Cancel AF, AE Lock)
  • Various settings for the action of the e-dials in each exposure mode can also be saved.
01-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #267
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Slimport support, instead of providing a HDMI connector.

Seems pretty useful.
I suspect Ricoh is avoiding the HDMI licensing fee by using a different connector format (Just like display port on PCs).
01-25-2017, 08:54 PM   #268

Photos: Albums
Is that a second SD in the battery grip?
01-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #269
Pentaxian

Only for storage....
01-25-2017, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #270

Adding the K-1 SR II 5 axis stabilization and new sensor can only mean better IQ and lower noise.

Who doesn't want to be able to reduce blur and noise?

Also, sounds like they are trying some new algorithms even though they are using older AF hardware.

This is great because so much of the technology is in software.

You can't have more PDAF points and without developing the software to take advantage of them first.

So all in all I would applaud Pentax for the incremental improvements.