Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 09:29 PM - 3 Likes   #271
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Only for storage....
I see people saying that the new high iso will be useless and is just sales oriented spec, but I have a serious question;

doesn't higher iso spec usually indicate at least the possibility of cleaner images at the other more usable iso's ? And, will real tested base iso be lower than the rated 100? I didn't see any mention of expanded iso, like some older models had.

All I can say is that if this thing can give near K5IIs level noise free images at pixel peep level with 24mp, then I wouldn't care if it was shaped like a midevil torture device, or a K-01, and covered in poison ivey. Lol! Heck, it would be a no brainer option for long tele work over the K-1, I'd carry one as a small second body, instead of a super long tele, and it would take less room in the bag next to the K-1.

Even if there really is a K3.3 coming, the KP could still make more sense for people who might want a high res, compact apsc second body to go with their K-1.

Eric

01-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #272
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
What I like:
  • [*
    Dislike:
    • Less buffer than a K-70?! If I'm going to pay twice the K-70's price, the KP should match or top it on all specs. What were they thinking?! It didn't need to match the K-3, but damn...
    • Price. Seems very high, and value proposition is much less convincing than on my previous Pentax body purchases. Might go down with time though...
    • Single SD. Not a deal-breaker, but...
    • No GPS. Also not a deal-breaker, but would have been preferred. That onboard flash looks anemic.
no top LCD, old AF system, USB 2.0, no HDMI, battery is too weak (the weakest battery in Pentax history - 390 pictures),
need L hand grip to use battery grip, no hybrid AF for photo shooting, no good control system, old 3" LCD screen with no good Tilting and 921,000 dots.
01-25-2017, 10:57 PM   #273
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
I see people saying that the new high iso will be useless and is just sales oriented spec, but I have a serious question;

doesn't higher iso spec usually indicate at least the possibility of cleaner images at the other more usable iso's ? And, will real tested base iso be lower than the rated 100? I didn't see any mention of expanded iso, like some older models had.

All I can say is that if this thing can give near K5IIs level noise free images at pixel peep level with 24mp
I presume so.
The K-70 has already achieved close to.
01-25-2017, 10:58 PM   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jonlg Quote
If this is a retro style camera for a niche like the Nikon DF then fine. It reminds me of my MZ-5N especially in the top plate area.

If this is intended to be the flagship APSC DSLR from Pentax then they've just made a big mistake.

What Pentax need for their flagship APSC is a K3 MK3 with improved autofocus, faster fps and deep burst mode, full weatherproofing i.e a full magnesium body), the K3 ergonomics (K7, K5, K3 are probably the most ergonomic cameras Pentax has ever produced - and yes I have a K1 and think the K3 has the edge), twin SD slots for professional shoot backup, long battery life, on board wifi, the articulated screen of the K1, the LED lighting of the K1, astrotracer and GPS. With that they really would have an answer to the D500 and EOS 7DMk3 which are currently the market leaders for anyone into wildlife, birds, sports and indeed shooting moving children.

As a Pentax user since 1981 and a huge lover of the marque I (I currently run a K1, K3, K5, MX-1 and a WG-M2 mk2) I really do think if this is going to replace the K3 they've made a big mistake and I really hope Asahiman is right that there's a new flagship APSC on the way...

Jonlg
Agreed! As a Pentax user since 1986, keeping the K1, K3 and Program Plus (1986) and having used the K20D and K01 (as well as Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic), the K3 is still my favorite, although the K1 is better in some ways. I would gladly buy a new K3 as spec'd by Jon, but the KP doesn't interest me at all. Let's hope Asahiman is right.

01-25-2017, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #275
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I won't buy one because it doesn't say Ricoh on the back!

Attachment 341337
It does say Ricoh and others say Pentax on the back, you just have to warm up the sticker on the back of the body like the old transformer toys of the past

01-26-2017, 12:08 AM   #276
Pentaxian

Glad to see it but don't like the form factor, especially the stick out stingy top (oouch !), may be this is to make room for the raised flash I don't know, I still love the K3 I think it is the most beautiful DSLR Pentax ever produced, I believe the KP is for comforting those like me that can't afford the K1 haha !! but why still use a separate battery grip, it is better to have it built into the body in one piece, this way the whole thing will be smaller and can easily fit into average camera back.
01-26-2017, 03:16 AM   #277

Another short intro video in Spanish.

interestingly, there is a AF points placement in viewfinder shown at 2:30 min.
This camera is really small.
Yuriy

Attached Images

01-26-2017, 03:21 AM   #278
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yurko_yr Quote
Not sure if the italians are happy you call them spanish
01-26-2017, 03:47 AM - 2 Likes   #279
Pentaxian

It's a DSLR aimed at mirrorless shooters. Maybe Pentax thinks it can lure some people back.

Here a promo by Ricoh. The guy must be inspector gadget for he has an allen wrench up his sleeve somewhere:

01-26-2017, 04:57 AM   #280
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by yurko_yr Quote

Yuriy
But bigger than K-5
01-26-2017, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #281
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jonlg Quote
If this is intended to be the flagship APSC DSLR from Pentax then they've just made a big mistake.

What Pentax need for their flagship APSC is a K3 MK3 with improved autofocus, faster fps and deep burst mode, full weatherproofing i.e a full magnesium body), the K3 ergonomics
QuoteOriginally posted by Skewed Quote
Agreed!
I would gladly buy a new K3 as spec'd by Jon, but the KP doesn't interest me at all. Let's hope Asahiman is right.
Signed and sealed. With a flippy screen of course.

Some upgrades and some downgrades are not what I need to replace my K-3. I will hold out for a K-3 III, which I firmly believe is coming. Of course it will not be called that. DPR is firmly standing by their claim that Ricoh Americas presented the KP to them as the K-3 II replacement.

Clearly the improved K3 AF algorithms could be retrofitted to the K-3 and K-3 II bodies. Hopefully Ricoh will oblige.
01-26-2017, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My goodness you guys are picky, looks like a super reasonable mid level camera to me. To me it has street shooter/travel APS-C written all over it. Doesn't do everything, but a nice compact package and looks well built and one imagines the the IQ will be really quite good with a new sensor.

---------- Post added 01-26-17 at 07:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Clearly the improved K3 AF algorithms could be retrofitted to the K-3 and K-3 II bodies. Hopefully Ricoh will oblige.
Newer AF algorithms might require newer hardware to keep up. It is not necessarily clear.
01-26-2017, 06:01 AM   #283
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Signed and sealed. With a flippy screen of course.

Some upgrades and some downgrades are not what I need to replace my K-3. I will hold out for a K-3 III, which I firmly believe is coming. Of course it will not be called that. DPR is firmly standing by their claim that Ricoh Americas presented the KP to them as the K-3 II replacement.

DPR is clickbaiting again.
01-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #284
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It's a DSLR aimed at mirrorless shooters. Maybe Pentax thinks it can lure some people back.
Hmm...
Compare camera dimensions side by side
Remove the mirror box; shorten the registration distance; remove in-body AF and aperture motors; replace the pentaprism hump with an EVF.
So far there's no indication of Ricoh Imaging actually doing it. But this (electronics) miniaturization exercise will help.
01-26-2017, 06:10 AM   #285
Pentaxian

If I end up going travelling this year, I am taking my ME or MX along and hoping to get a picture of it next to this.

Given the massive jump in ISO, I'm now wondering whether to hold out for the next-generation full-frame instead of the base-model K-1. Certainly there is no point in my mind to owning yet another APS-C DSLR, and of course there is a price to be paid for being an early adopter.