Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 269 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #646
Pentaxian

Exactly.
No communication at all until the last inventory is cleared.

12-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #647
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Exactly.
That's how I'm sure they're continuing with Pentax - there is communication, quite a bit of it.
Can't say anything about the medium format line though... pretty quiet on that regard
12-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #648
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Can't say anything about the medium format line though... pretty quiet on that regard
Pentax is treating Medium Format almost how they are treating "Q". They don't want to talk about it - which cannot be good from the Medium Format point-of-view.
12-11-2019, 11:20 AM - 2 Likes   #649
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cartesio Quote
Do you think they will stop the production, or just stop developing the medium format line?
"Stop" seems like too strong a word. "Pause" is more like it.

No one has a clue about the real future of standalone cameras which are currently a niche in consumer electronics after enjoying a period of broader popularity. The future of every format is uncertain, especially formats larger or smaller than FF. There's clearly some market for larger formats even if it's a niche of a niche. Bigger sensors do have some appeal so 645 isn't dead. Pentax even has one huge advantage over Fuji in MF -- the Pentax mount can handle full-645 whereas the Fuji GFX series is limited to crop-645.

Sure, Ricoh might pause production and development of 645, but killing it completely would be dumb.

12-11-2019, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #650
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

No one has a clue about the real future of standalone cameras which are currently a niche in consumer electronics after enjoying a period of broader popularity. The future of every format is uncertain, especially formats larger or smaller than FF. There's clearly some market for larger formats even if it's a niche of a niche. Bigger sensors do have some appeal so 645 isn't dead. Pentax even has one huge advantage over Fuji in MF -- the Pentax mount can handle full-645 whereas the Fuji GFX series is limited to crop-645.

Sure, Ricoh might pause production and development of 645, but killing it completely would be dumb.
I would not be surprised if Ricoh is pondering the situation. In the day of film, Medium Format was 'Detail King' - even our school pictures were taken with Medium Format cameras because, by definition, number of grains of emulsion depended on size of the negative. Today, things are much less certain, especially with the various forms of pixel-shift. When FujiFilm entered the Medium Format market, it was said to have been preceded by a research study which convinced them their software was better than Pentax's. Perhaps Ricoh is now the one doing the research and the analysis.
12-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #651
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would be interesting to see if anyone will be the first to produce a full 6x6 or 6x7 sensor medium format camera.
12-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #652
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

As far as I know, Pentax is leading the MF market. I agree, it will be dumb to completely kill it. Maybe they should simply redesign the camera for a more compact and lighter camera.

12-11-2019, 09:22 PM - 2 Likes   #653
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
As far as I know, Pentax is leading the MF market. (...)
Err... no. Fujifilm and Hasselblad sell far more medium format cameras than Ricoh.
12-12-2019, 12:10 AM   #654
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Err... no. Fujifilm and Hasselblad sell far more medium format cameras than Ricoh.
Any official numbers? I'm especially interested in those from Hasselblad. AFAIK their X1D didn't sell that well and it had even a 50% discount in some shops...
12-12-2019, 12:47 AM   #655
Pentaxian

the Pentax mount can handle full-645 whereas the Fuji GFX series is limited to crop-645.
645D and 645Z have a crop-645 sensor. Then they need to use a full 645 sensor in a future 645 camera. I don't know if the recent 645 lenses are optimised for a crop or a full 645 sensor.
12-12-2019, 12:52 AM - 1 Like   #656

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
But they have no R&D resources to keep APS-C + FF... 645 portfolio is another big world that needs a lot of attention.

Mirrorless 645 camera should be easier to design and build. Also adaptor for existing 645 lenses should be quite easy task. Put 100mpix sensor inside, SR for sure and harvest money.
Yes, its always a lot easier to build a device with new technology you have not developed and have no in-house experience with than it is to improve existing technology to get better performance. Much easier. For sure. Its like printing money.
12-12-2019, 01:49 AM   #657
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The manufacturers who don’t have medium format have been talking it down for some time, mostly indirectly through on-line “influencers” as far as I can see. I can’t find any information on sales trends, other than market forecast reports that purport to understand the industry, and I’m not about to pay good money to find out what they think.

How people here can extrapolate from Ricoh’s silence on medium format to their impending abandonment of the line, has me scratching my head. The Q line (which hasn’t officially been abandoned, as far as I know) at least had something significant happen to indicate that it wasn’t being progressed when the lens roadmap was put on hold, and the planned lenses not proceeded with. I haven’t seen anything like that, relating to the 645 line.
12-12-2019, 02:09 AM   #658
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Any official numbers? I'm especially interested in those from Hasselblad. AFAIK their X1D didn't sell that well and it had even a 50% discount in some shops...
The X1D sold well at the beginning (mostly thanks to its look): Hasselblad received 15,000 pre-orders, approximately one and a half years of production. The first reviews were negative due to its many quirks (most of which have been solved after numerous firmware iterations), so sales declined. They rebounded when the price was reduced.

The 50% discounted copies were refurbished copies, originally demo camera lent to ambassadors.
12-12-2019, 02:16 AM   #659
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
(...)

How people here can extrapolate from Ricoh’s silence on medium format to their impending abandonment of the line, has me scratching my head. The Q line (which hasn’t officially been abandoned, as far as I know) at least had something significant happen to indicate that it wasn’t being progressed when the lens roadmap was put on hold, and the planned lenses not proceeded with. I haven’t seen anything like that, relating to the 645 line.
It's Ricoh way of doing thinks: they remain silent and one day, after many months, a camera or a lens is moved on their website from current to discontinued. That was already the case with the GXR. There hasn't been any notice of the Q discontinuation either, yet any and all Q cameras now appear as discontinued models.

Something has happened to the 645 line. Is it significant? I don't know. The 645 lens roadmap hasn't changed since 2016. 'Hasn't changed' as in 'no change at all': the mention on the left of the roadmapped lenses is still '2017 or Later'.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/645_Mount_Lens.pdf
12-12-2019, 02:36 AM   #660
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
That's it.