Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #151
Veteran Member

A camera with a too high price, it is significantly more expensive in Europe to 1400usd equivalent. At this price it was normal to have all the K3II features plus new KP features Now Pentax has a market share of 4.5%, probably Ricoh has proposed 3.5% in the future with such a pricing policy. KP was actually announced to increase K3II sales

01-26-2017, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #152
Forum Member

The KP looks to be setup to appeal more to small carry and street shooters. Based on the fact that so many people are confused by this cam, it would appear the latter barely exists in the Pentax camp.
01-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Honestly, I was hoping for some major improvements in the auto focus department to help bring the brand up on par with the other players in speed and accuracy..
Could you be a little more specific?
What camera's speed and accuracy are you hoping to match?
01-26-2017, 07:48 AM   #154

QuoteOriginally posted by OTH Quote
But this is a wrong information. Whatever metal they used but only parts of the case are metal. The top-cover for example is simple plastic.
This is not a fully metal-covered body.
It says Magnesium Alloy, perhaps Polycarbonate is the alloy....Lol.Just don't drop it, metal or not.

01-26-2017, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #155
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Maybe the true K-3ii successor with be another new design, but Pro APS-c focused. Priced accordingly... ~$1799? This would then bump the K-1 successor into a new price point ~$2199?

Curious what lies ahead!
Yes that is the situation.. where to price? I don't see them raising the K-1 price just to squeeze in a new camera into the lineup. But, in 6 months, K-1 prices (at least on used front) should be down a little. And maybe more lenses offered by then too.. So that looks more attractive.

As a result, I don't think they can't price the K-3 III too high. I still don't expect a D500 level body though.. probably a tuned K-1 AF system and a 10 fps burst.. the flip screen... and tethering. Not expecting a camera that blows the K-1 out of the water.. but we'll see. I wasn't expecting this KP and this high price either.
01-26-2017, 07:52 AM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
no X-Sync socket and mode aka apple no headphone jack move?
01-26-2017, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #157
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Electric Eye Quote
It says Magnesium Alloy, perhaps Polycarbonate is the alloy....Lol.Just don't drop it, metal or not.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh Imaging KP features page:
Magnesium-alloy casing to optimize durability and dependability

The PENTAX KP’s exterior casing is made of highly rigid, lightweight magnesium alloy with remarkable durability and outstanding electromagnetic-shielding performance. Coupled with a high-rigidity, corrosion-resistant metallic chassis, it forms an extremely durable, dependable body structure.
Features2 | PENTAX KP | RICOH IMAGING

QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh Imaging KP features page:
Focus Assist modes: Highlight Edge and Extract Edge

Features4 | PENTAX KP | RICOH IMAGING

Huh?

Last edited by Foxbat; 01-26-2017 at 07:59 AM. Reason: More features from KP features page
01-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #158
KDD
Veteran Member

I saw DPREVIEW say KP is COMPACT CAMERA. "Hands-on with Ricoh's compact Pentax KP". DPR staff are BAD BEHAVIOR!!
01-26-2017, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #159
Pentaxian

Looking at the photos released by Pentax, it still looks , (though it's hard to tell without comparative images) like the KP may match the K-5 at 1600 ISO when pixel peeping which is major given that it's got 50% more pixels. That would mean less noise at the same size.

However it's still behind the K-1 at 3200, I'm not sure this is useful.

A preliminary look brings hope. Someone still needs to test the Dynamic Range. That would be the one thing I trust DxO for.

What were the reasons I didn't buy a K-70?
11 point AF grid- the KP has 27, same as a K-3.
Slower burst rate... the 7 fps on the KP is bearable.

If the DR and high ISO are as expected, this is a camera I'd take over my K-3. You have to remember, I'm not comfortable shooting my K-3 over 640 ISO, getting to 1600 would be huge.

Last edited by normhead; 01-26-2017 at 08:19 AM.
01-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #160
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
I saw DPREVIEW say KP is COMPACT CAMERA. "Hands-on with Ricoh's compact Pentax KP". DPR staff are BAD BEHAVIOR!!
They probably got that information from the Ricoh representative, just as they got the info on the placement of the KP in the lineup from them too (even though the latter has been disproven as false info they received) -- It is the Ricoh rep's fault and not DPR's.
01-26-2017, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #161
Veteran Member

The look of the camera improves the more I look at it, however there are two features missing that as far as I am concerned are must haves on my list of camera features, first a built in GPS and secondly a top screen.
01-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
(...)

If a true K-3 II successor were to be announced at CP+, it would be equipped with Wi-fi and possibly Bluetooth and therefore it would have been registered by some radiocommunications authority by now, be it under its model name or a code name.
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Not if it wasn't going to be available until June.
Setting aside the K-1, the teasing/marketing campaign of which followed its own rules for obvious reasons, which Pentax camera ever was announced long before being available?
01-26-2017, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
I think you're reading too much into that statement. They say in the article that the KP is a DSLR. "Compact" refers to its relative size. Pentax DSLRs have always been relatively compact compared to most other DSLRs on the market.
01-26-2017, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-3II's replacement will be only in June?
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
...or later

Ricoh Imaging are not foreign to announcing cameras in June (K-70, K-50, K-500, Q7) or July (K-3 Prestige Edition, XG-1, Smurf K-01).
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
(...) I think we can be close to real info at CP+2017.
The definitive answer was just given by Kunzite in another thread:
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Just less than a month before the show begins... but we have a first image of the Ricoh Imaging's stand:
?????????????????<???????>?RICOH IMAGING
CP+ is all about Theta and KP. No other camera is to be put under the spotlights.

01-26-2017, 08:39 AM - 2 Likes   #165
Veteran Member

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet is the two new camera cases announced for the KP (though they'll also fit the K-3ii):
Pentax O-CC90 Camera Case 39823 B&H Photo Video
Pentax O-CC160 Camera Case 38519 B&H Photo Video

This would seem to support the "stylish camera" and "small carry and street shooters" angles.