01-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #287
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Assistant of Bruno the barber
I see your point. No, definitely no.
01-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #288
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I have given my money to Pentax. Since I switched from Canon, I have bought a total of four bodies and six lenses from Pentax. I am not a doomer but there is no excuse for not having a few decent wide angle FF lenses. I am thrilled with my K1. I would have happily paid another $1,000 for it. I am more than willing to pay that $1K and more towards some decent Pentax wide primes. I do not want to go to Sigma or Tamron for those lenses. But wait non of those guys offer anything in the range for my K1. So I am left in a limbo by my beloved Pentax. What to do?. I am a loyal fan and have been more than patient. I do not want to migrate to another brand again. But how long do I have to wait to see one or two decent wide FF primes?

Meanwhile they (Pentax) are busy releasing more bodies with almost no improvement over the previous ones, and releasing second set of DA limited lenses and so on. What about all the loyalists who have real needs that Pentax has ignored while they are busy dumping all their R&D money into a Theta and incrementally marginal bodies.

Oh yes, and the big one, video. Let's not even talk about that. Pentax is so far behind, it is not even funny. A Sony point and shoot produces almost pro grade 4K and non of Pentaxes can even produce decent 1080P! What are they thinking? What is the excuse? Fuji has caught up with the game. For pete's sake even Olympus has caught up with the bunch. Sony and Panasonic are so far ahead, Pentax has no prayer of catching up with those guys.

Here is a reality check for all the Pentax loyalists. My son's friend came to town to help him produce a video for his business. I asked the young 20 something guy what he was using. Turned out he was using a Canon 6D to do this video. He then asked me what I was shooing, I proudly told him Pentax. His response, "I have never heard of Pentax." There is the dilemma for Pentax, next generation of potential buyers that have never heard of the brand.
Since I'm waiting for the new primes myself, I have some questions to ask:
- do you want camera engineers to design lenses? How it would work?
- do you think electronics and algorithms (supposedly improved on the KP) are irrelevant for a digital camera?
- do you want video to be improved without launching new cameras?
- do you want marketing, or those marketing people would need to be developing lenses as well?
01-27-2017, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So this camera is above a K70, to me thats obvious, but not quite a K-3II... Thats ok as well.

I remember a time not to long ago that Pentax had the k-500, K-30/K-50, K-5II, K-5IIS all out at the same time (maybe not in production at the same time but definitely on the shelf). I have only seen it mentioned once or twice that Ricoh is perhaps trying to broaden their market to appeal to a greater range of shooters, and I do believe this is where they are going.

Looking at the size of the KP, I have said this before, this looks like an attempt to compete with MILC's. If so this explains the quasi radical design change. They have taken proven features of the standard DSLR, reduced the size, added some features to address the short comings of the MILC's (the grip and control layout) and released the K-P. When you think about it, most of the APSC MILC make siginficant ergonomic compromises to maintain a small body size, but that small size is quickly negated once you put an adapter on it to shoot a lens from a standard DSLR, or put a telephoto in it.

After looking at the design for a few days now, I have grown to like it. Is it a replacement for my K-3? No I don't think so I feel it only has marginally better specs, however, if low light performance and the new auto focus algorithm bring good improvements over my K-3 I may give it a serious look as it would be a contender then. We have to wait for the proper testing to come.

When looking at price, since its very similar to the K-3II (and it does have a few extra features) $1100.00 USD seems appropriate. Look at it this way, the K3-II MSRP is 1100 USD (Adorama) and its now 899.00 USD and the MSRP of the K-3 was 1299.00. USD(DP review) so the KP seems to be in line with the price for the feature set that it has. Also keep in mind after the new camera fever winds down, the price will most likley drop as it usually does for this cameras.

What I really hope all this means is that when they do release the new flagship, its a whole lotta camera with alot of good features. If this is the new flagship APS-C it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

01-27-2017, 07:59 AM - 4 Likes   #290
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
if low light performance and the new auto focus algorithm bring good improvements over my K-3 I may give it a serious look as it would be a contender then. We have to wait for the proper testing to come.
Exactly. I am un-impresed on how many here will consider buying, or making the decision not to buy on published technical specs. When I bought my Sigma DP2, the specs looked manageable, in reality. I took 120 images with it then sold it. Better AF and one stop better high ISO is enough to sell me a camera. I find it hard to believe all these hot shots on here claiming to need the latest and greatest everything stick their noses in the air at the KP. There can only be one reason for that. They are talking through their sleeves with a smirk on their face. A real photographer who is constantly pushing the limits of the camera sees a one stop ISO improvement and better IQ and it's a no brainer as a decision. Maybe not a K-3 user who relies on that big buffer, but for anyone else, the only inhibition is the price.

Last edited by normhead; 01-27-2017 at 08:30 AM.
01-27-2017, 08:19 AM - 4 Likes   #291
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not a stockholder of Ricoh nor I like every piece of equipment Pentax releases. All I say is that I shoot with my Pentax cameras and have nothing that I envy from my fellow photographers that we shoot together. If I was disappointed with the results or I felt that my equipment holds me back I would have searched for something different. I have rational expectations and I'm satisfied by my Pentax equipment. What I say is that I read a lot of criticism based on assumptions and personal opinions presented as facts. I'm sure that if you gave KPs to all the whiners in here for free more than 90% would understand that they would never need anything more advanced and they are covered. Yes there are pros and really experienced photographers that need something else, but Pentax knows that too. They released KP as an advanced medium range camera, it's not for everyone and it's not a bad camera as some declare before even seeing it in real. On the contrary it's a rather impressive camera as I'm learning from testers, surely not as fast as a K-3 due to the fps and buffer capacity.

In any case, there is no way Pentax is gonna release a D5 - AF machine gun for $2000. The Pentax FF had become a unicorn and a joke and now that it is real we are building a new "unicorn" in our minds that Pentax will never be able to manufacture, but even if they can we would like it to be priced as an entry level Canonikon, that's what annoys me.
01-27-2017, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
The Pentax FF had become a unicorn and a joke and now that it is real we are building a new "unicorn" in our minds that Pentax will never be able to manufacture, but even if they can we would like it to be priced as an entry level Canonikon, that's what annoys me.

Agreed.

---------- Post added 01-27-17 at 09:49 AM ----------

not sure if this was posted yet.

Pentax KP Review: Hands-On Preview
01-27-2017, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #293
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
- do you think electronics and algorithms (supposedly improved on the KP) are irrelevant for a digital camera?
Marginal image quality improvement from K30 to the KP. Almost no video improvement in FIVE years.

- do you want camera engineers to design lenses? How it would work?
No I want PENTX to design some new lenses. They know which engineer to assign to the task.

- do you want video to be improved without launching new cameras?
How many cameras do we have to wait for to see improvement in the video department. K30 to the mighty K1 and now KP the same crappy video!

- do you want marketing, or those marketing people would need to be developing lenses as well?
You got your departments totally mixed up.

I would suggest you apply for a job at Pentax. They can use your engineering and marketing expertise... yesterday.

01-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #294
Pentaxian

Marginal image quality improvement from K30 to the KP.
Really?

No I want PENTX to design some new lenses. They know which engineer to assign to the task.
And they are working on lenses, so what's the problem with making a camera?

How many cameras do we have to wait for to see improvement in the video department. K30 to the mighty K1 and now KP the same crappy video!
One. Just one.
But that one will not come before the camera improving sensor area, or the camera improving size and high ISO processing, or the camera improving AF and general performance...

I would suggest you apply for a job at Pentax. They can use your engineering and marketing expertise... yesterday.
Interesting how you believe such words don't apply to you, their critic Hint: I don't pretend to know better than them. You do.
01-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #295
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
Agreed.not sure if this was posted yet.

Pentax KP Review: Hands-On Preview
That pre-review Matters.
01-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #296

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I like the styling too, but it's definitely NOT a new flagship, even though it comes with a nice new battery grip option. The tiny D-Li190 battery will not give it enough life, and the buffer is way too small.
Still lots to like though.
It is not the new APS-C flagship, which probably will come out later this year.

I like the idea of Pentax offering a fourth body, with some high end specs but aimed at compact size and light weight, with the K3/K3-II AF, better than the K70/K-SII, a new sensor and shutter, a tiltable screen and a built-in flash, and a more powerful CPU. I hope that this more powerful CPU will also allow a more efficient AF-C tracking.

I dont bother about video, full HD is quite enough for me, if I wanted to shoot a lot of 4K video I would go mirrorless.

I have noticed that Pentax shows the KP with the DA 20-40 limited mounted on it. I dont have this lens, but I have DA15, DA21, DA35macro, DA40Xs ans DA70, and I enjoy them when shooting with primes, but when hiking my most used lens is DA 18-135, which should make a great compact combo with KP (this is the lens Pentax quotes as used for the KP CIPA tests).

DA 20-40 limited is not the fashionable me-too big, heavy, wide aperture lens, it is only f2.8-f4, and, like the limited primes, it has not been designed to get the highest rating in sharpness tests when shooting test charts or brick walls: it is designed to deliver the most appealing pictures when watched as a whole. Bravo, we dont need another me-too DSLR system....

My son and I went to Serengeti and Ngorongoro last september, we both use a K3, and we never needed the high burst rate for shooting wildlife, the medium rate was enough. Our main expectation for future cameras is about AF discrimination (= the ability to focus on the target, not on the nearby twig or grass) and high ISO performance, as in long telephoto or night photography the depth of field is often too shallow at large apertures.

I am waiting to see what the new sensor will deliver at ISO 12800/25600, if it is as good as K3/K30 at ISO 3200/6400, it will be great.

As for the higher price tag, some poster forget that the Japanese Yen exchange rate is not as low as it used to be, thus this means about 10% higher prices in US $, and 20% in €.

Last edited by Tatouzou; 01-27-2017 at 10:00 AM. Reason: mistake correction
01-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #297
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
If Ricoh tries to fill that gap, many of us will no longer be able to afford them!
I bought into Pentax over CANIKON because of the entry level K-30 with weather sealing, durability and ergonomics. And at half the price of the "other guy's" plastic junk!
Same here. I was considering mirrorless when I bought my K-30 in 2013, but at the time no one seemed to offer the same bang for one's buck. Thankfully, the K-70 continues in that same tradition (hopefully without the aperture block problem), and we haven't had any indication yet that the line will end there.

If Pentax ever was to stop offering a similar body below $1,000, I don't know how I could get curious friends who've never had an ILC before to join the brand, like I did with the K-50 -- too much money if you don't know yet whether you'll continue with it. Even if not as many as before the boom, such people are still out there.
01-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #298
Pentaxian

Hint: I don't pretend to know better than them. You do.
Send in a resume. They can really use your expertise. I have talked to the Pentax guys on many occasions. You will fit right in.

BTW, I don't know anything. I am just the sucker who buys their stuff. Far be it from me or anyone to ask for a lens or a feature other manufacturers have had for years.
01-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #299
retired nerd
Loyal Site Supporter

Far be it from me or anyone to ask for a lens or a feature other manufacturers have had for years.
Different manufacturers have focused on different aspects at different times.
Personally, I switched from Pentax to Canon in 1995 because of the USM lenses.
I switched back to Pentax in 2015 because of the "Rebel level" bodies.
01-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #300
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Different manufacturers have focused on different aspects at different times.
Personally, I switched from Pentax to Canon in 1995 because of the USM lenses.
I switched back to Pentax in 2015 because of the "Rebel level" bodies.
I shot Canon (seven different bodies times two copies of each) from 2000-2012 when I switched back to Pentax. Long story why. I like Pentax images. It does the job for me. Canon had its shortcomings, they all do. That goes with the game. In my mind the ones who listen to their customers have a better chance of surviving long term. If they close their eyes and ears to customer feedback, they are doomed.