Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 251 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #301
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Petapixel:

"Less than a day after photos and specs leaked onto the Web, Ricoh has officially announced its new Pentax KP DSLR. It’s a compact and weatherproof high-end successor to the K-3 that Ricoh says is perfect for outdoor photographers."
Last on this. As of this afternoon I have communicated directly with the person responsible at Ricoh Imaging who would have made such a statement. It was not made. Correction 'requests' have been made individually and directly to all incorrect reviewer sites and retailers.

Ahem.

01-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Last on this. As of this afternoon I have communicated directly with the person responsible at Ricoh Imaging who would have made such a statement. It was not made. Correction 'requests' have been made individually and directly to all incorrect reviewer sites and retailers.

Ahem.
I blame Ricoh for their ambiguous language, but I also blame these "journalists" for not using their noggins and realizing that the KP's regression from the K-3 II in some aspects clearly indicates it's not superceding the K-3 II. #notmyjournalists #mediashouldkeepitsmouthshutandjustlistenforawhile
01-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #303

This camera has my interest and the fine folks at Ricoh should really put one in my hands at major concert events! I still shoot a K5 because although the k3 has more pixels it also has more noise at high ISO therefore pretty much a lateral move for what I do. It is becoming difficult to be competative with the K5 and something needs to change this year. Would love to have a K1 but when I contacted Ricoh, the head of US sales Ken Curry sent me a form letter stating that they were " not accepting applications for Ricoh ambassedores". I thought they would at least work me a deal on a refurb. I had pretty much decided to switch to a Nikon D810 but I'll keep my eye on thisnew body for a bit before I jump.If anyone reading this knows Mr. Curry , please pass it along.
01-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #304
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I blame Ricoh for their ambiguous language, but I also blame these "journalists" for not using their noggins and realizing that the KP's regression from the K-3 II in some aspects clearly indicates it's not superceding the K-3 II. #notmyjournalists #mediashouldkeepitsmouthshutandjustlistenforawhile
Yes. The Press Release, and language used in the Press Announcement, was written by a third-party marketer. I've agreed Heir to K-3 is marketing-speak but misleading. My point all along has been some sites knew better (or asked for clarification), some didn't know or care enough to ask, some appear to have lifted language from others (and didn't know or care enough) and some dug in their heels when questioned.

Which is all as expected.

(#whenfloggingthememeisexactlywhattheywant)

01-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #305
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
As in: nobody likes Pentax but we're forced to stay?
The problem with critics is that they often only want to "punish" Pentax for not making the "right" product, not doing precisely the "right" thing, etc. And it's full of experts on the Internet, all too ready to explain the "right" way of doing things
No, not quite. More as in 'This is a 90 degree turn from anything Pentax has offered in the past 10 years for K mount (outside of the failed K-01), when "we" were expecting an improved K-3 II due to the heavy rumors coming out of the rumormill. What is this thing that costs more than a K-3 II but doesn't have all the features of a K-3 II and we're [initially] told it is to replace the K-3 II in the lineup?'

But we're all critics. This forum would be a cold, informational database on product specification lists and resultant images without opinions.

Said experts would criticize when Pentax decided to enter the digital medium format market, because FF was the "right" thing. Or when they did the FF, because it should've been MILC or APS-C only. Or when they did the Q, then when they canceled the Q. Or when they made the K-01, now asking for a next version.
Obviously, the KP cannot escape this treatment.
True. Yet there is an incredibly broad customer base with Pentax who all have different needs and wants out of a camera.

But that isn't the issue here. The issue isn't the KP as product. The issue was the KP was [initially by some] rumored and then presented as the K-3 II replacement at the K-3 II entry price. That is it. Nothing more.

The KP, as a camera, is interesting! It just isn't a K-3 II. Now we all know this, Ricoh has confirmed this, and life is good.
01-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #306
Pentaxian

While the KP was unexpected, it's hardly "a 90 degree turn from anything Pentax has offered in the past 10 years for K mount". It's a Pentax camera, the Pentax DNA is clearly seen. Downsizing effort? Recently tried with the K-Sx series, and past cameras were also compact. The removable hand grip? Not their first experiment (K-Sx leds, K-1's Smart Function dials, K-30's shape...).

Don't forget that (almost) no information is leaked in advance, people are not talking. Thus, things on the rumor mill are pure speculation. This camera replacing the K-3 II, that's not something you were told by Ricoh Imaging.
Can you blame Ricoh Imaging for not matching our speculation with real products?
01-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #307
Veteran Member

I think it is a cool little camera, and even priced right.
Like it or not, this is the going rate of a fully spec'd APS-C camera.

However, I don't know how it fits in the grand scheme of things with the K-70 being so new.
Also, there is no lower priced camera to grow the base and attract new Pentaxians. I don't know anyone that has started their photographic journey on a camera that costs over $1K. We need a K-X/K-R/K-500 type camera to compete with the rebels and D3000's.

01-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #308
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've been shooting since the film days and stopped shooting sometime 1993. I'm a late comer to digital photography as I moved to digital only last 2008. I'm also a late Pentax user as I bought my first camera last February 2014. I understand that Pentax does not produce perfect cameras. I agree with others that it lags behind Canon and Nikon. But I didn't choose Pentax because of what Canon and Nikon have. I chose Pentax because of what it has. That's why I'm with Pentax. Yes we want better performance but again, a photographer will have to adjust his skills to his tools. I always look at users' feedback and reviews before buying something. With their experience you can make your decision if the tools will fit your needs. If they don't, find some other tool that fits you. That's why I shifted from Olympus.
01-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #309
mee
Veteran Member

While the KP was unexpected, it's hardly "a 90 degree turn from anything Pentax has offered in the past 10 years for K mount". It's a Pentax camera, the Pentax DNA is clearly seen. Downsizing effort? Recently tried with the K-Sx series, and past cameras were also compact. The removable hand grip? Not their first experiment (K-Sx leds, K-1's Smart Function dials, K-30's shape...).
The point wasn't that it isn't a Pentax camera, but that it is the first retro styled body in K mount in the digital era. Retro style is a love it or leave it for most people it seems... very polar opinions on that type of styling.

Don't forget that (almost) no information is leaked in advance, people are not talking. Thus, things on the rumor mill are pure speculation. This camera replacing the K-3 II, that's not something you were told by Ricoh Imaging.
Can you blame Ricoh Imaging for not matching our speculation with real products?
Well the situation arose where the rumors indicated this was the K-3 II replacement/successor, then DPR and Adorama publicly stated this was the K-3II successor, and (only after one member directly asked RI USA) then the statement was announced this was not the K-3 II successor.

The trail of events are important to the outrage that occurred here and elsewhere online.

I could blame Ricoh Imaging for not getting on the horn immediately, after reading the published articles and sales blurbs that falsely claimed this was the K-3 II successor (if they did not). I could also blame these sites, if Ricoh did correct them, for not immediately updating their pages with the true information (if they did not).

DPR and Adorama aren't exactly backwoods/unknown sites... so any excuse that RI USA can't scour the internet would be bogus if claimed. These sites should be near or at the top of their list.

It was just a rough situation, it has been corrected. Let's all move on.
01-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #310
Pentaxian

It's not exactly retro styled; it has a modern interface, and except for the hand grip there are no more design elements resembling the good old days than a K-1 (being heavily inspired from that)

People are not to blame since they simply trusted DPReview. Ricoh Imaging can't be blamed either, since they don't proof-read DPReview - but they reacted to the public outcry (which wasn't instantaneously visible).
So let's not jump the gun pointing fingers
01-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #311
mee
Veteran Member

It's not exactly retro styled; it has a modern interface, and except for the hand grip there are no more design elements resembling the good old days than a K-1 (being heavily inspired from that)

People are not to blame since they simply trusted DPReview. Ricoh Imaging can't be blamed either, since they don't proof-read DPReview - but they reacted to the public outcry (which wasn't instantaneously visible).
So let's not jump the gun pointing fingers
Oh come on now.. its called the 'KP' it looks extremely similar to the 60 year old 'AP' on the 60th anniversary of it. You and I both know it is retro styled and as a result of the Pentax AP. They even included that quirkly knob on the front just like it.

People are to blame because DPR, Ricoh, and Adorama aren't autonomous robots, they're companies operated by people each with unique jobs and someone(s) dropped the ball here.
01-27-2017, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #312
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The point wasn't that it isn't a Pentax camera, but that it is the first retro styled body in K mount in the digital era. Retro style is a love it or leave it for most people it seems... very polar opinions on that type of styling.(....)
I don't consider the KP to be more (or less) retro-styled than the K-1.

01-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #313
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I don't consider the KP to be more (or less) retro-styled than the K-1.
I do. By a lot. Look at that grip and the dials. The KP hump also seems steeper and the body itself seems more rounded, just like the AP.

KP looks much more like this little guy:

Last edited by mee; 01-27-2017 at 05:28 PM.
01-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #314

From the Pentax K-1 special site

Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

QuoteQuote:
Although some cameras use simple planes in their pentaprism design, a design converging all planes at the top of the pentaprism was quite rare and innovative. “This design was meant to pay homage to the basic pentaprism form of the film-camera era,” he says. “I believed, however, that it was important to add some new design elements, so it would be one of the most attractive of today’s digital cameras.”
01-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #315
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
No one is arguing the K-1 doesn't have retro cues.

But it isn't a dedicated retro design. The top knobs and the hump are it. The grip, however, isn't even close to a retro/classic style. And it retained a top LCD screen, while missing the front knob. Plus, the K-1 is huge comparatively.

KP is much much much closer to retro design. The fact that they named it KP should give a clue (on the 60th anniversary of the AP launch), the fact that it has the same basic controls in the same spots is another, plus it is fairly compact. I'm shocked that you don't see this and are, instead, nitpicking verbiage (esp when that verbiage agrees with my claim).

Last edited by mee; 01-27-2017 at 05:49 PM.