Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #316
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I don't consider the KP to be more (or less) retro-styled than the K-1.
Fully agree. The KP clearly follows the K-1's design, while one have to squint really, really hard to see the resemblance to the old Asahi Pentax.

The KP, of course, doesn't have the same controls as the old Asahi Pentax; far from it, its top dials are a variation of the K-1's.

01-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #317

I think it's from the rear that the K-1 pentaprism housing is most reminiscent of the Asahi Pentax.
01-27-2017, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #318
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why is this so hard?

KP design is derivative, an homage, a modern camera with a nod to the design that started it all.

I find the design cues pleasing and familiar, the grip is clever and suggests the SuperPROGRAM, but then I'm a K-mount film camera guy, especially the 50's cameras. Maybe it helps to have actually used the reference cameras to appreciate the references.

But to my mind the design is a modern interpretation, not a retro imitation; like a Dodge Challenger Hellcat
01-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #319
Pentaxian

I know it's only a minor thing but while we are talking design, I find the really thick bezel around the LCD screen really ugly and off-putting.

Like someone else said here, reminiscent of 2003 camera design.

01-27-2017, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #320

If there is a K-3ii replacement out in six months I can't wait for the moaning and whining.

"This isn't much of a step up from the KP for $300 more" ad nauseam

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
I know it's only a minor thing but while we are talking design, I find the really thick bezel around the LCD screen really ugly and off-putting.

Like someone else said here, reminiscent of 2003 camera design.
Ya wants retro, ya gets retro.
01-27-2017, 10:00 PM   #321
mee
Veteran Member

Then there is the moaning and the whining about the moaning and the whining. Almost like having a meeting to discuss the upcoming meeting. Potentially there is a third meeting to discuss the conclusions from the meeting.
01-27-2017, 10:42 PM   #322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Then there is the moaning and the whining about the moaning and the whining. Almost like having a meeting to discuss the upcoming meeting. Potentially there is a third meeting to discuss the conclusions from the meeting.
That'll be a way off, I imagine...

01-27-2017, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #323
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah yes, endless meetings. How to seem busy while achieving sweet nothing.
01-27-2017, 10:44 PM   #324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Ya wants retro, ya gets retro.
More like, "Ya wants durability, ya gets structure".
01-27-2017, 11:19 PM   #325

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
More like, "Ya wants durability, ya gets structure".
Gives you something to grab without leaving greasy thumbprints on the screen. Bad enough with the greasy noseprints.
01-27-2017, 11:28 PM   #326
HYS
Veteran Member

Does anyone know what exactly is the sensor inside KP?
01-27-2017, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's not exactly retro styled; it has a modern interface, and except for the hand grip there are no more design elements resembling the good old days than a K-1 (being heavily inspired from that)
Of course it is retro styled, every one can see that !

The lens is still up the front, The viefinder is at the back, the top plate has wheels and the prism housing still has that distinctive retro triangular hump.
01-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #328
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
Does anyone know what exactly is the sensor inside KP?
Pentax KP - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

01-28-2017, 01:32 AM   #329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Floggin Rodger Quote
This camera has my interest and the fine folks at Ricoh should really put one in my hands at major concert events! I still shoot a K5 because although the k3 has more pixels it also has more noise at high ISO therefore pretty much a lateral move for what I do. It is becoming difficult to be competative with the K5 and something needs to change this year. Would love to have a K1 but when I contacted Ricoh, the head of US sales Ken Curry sent me a form letter stating that they were " not accepting applications for Ricoh ambassedores". I thought they would at least work me a deal on a refurb. I had pretty much decided to switch to a Nikon D810 but I'll keep my eye on thisnew body for a bit before I jump.If anyone reading this knows Mr. Curry , please pass it along.
Just out of curiosity, have you contacted Nikon, and what is their answer regarding making you a Nikon ambassador?
01-28-2017, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Just out of curiosity, have you contacted Nikon, and what is their answer regarding making you a Nikon ambassador?
Nikon are stopping most of their ambassador programs. Only a few big ones left. (a few more, but they have to pay up to 50% for the gear).