Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2017, 02:27 AM   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The KP Silver looks nice:

Speaking of Nikon, someone on Youtube said the KP reminds them of the Nikon Df. I can see that there is indeed a resemblance, even though the KP is much smaller:

From CameraSize.com

01-28-2017, 02:39 AM   #332
Forum Member

No idead what he talks about, but at least it's not a Ricoh PR video.
01-28-2017, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #333
Pentaxian

Whatever critics may say, this camera concept is pretty good and borrow some of the concepts of the Fuji X. It has a nice style, with a bit of vintage and also available in silver. It is small and light weight but also allow for a grip for longer battery life, very similar to the situation with mirror-less cameras. + you have the Pentax specific features of the previous cameras (IBIS, pixel shift, ES etc).

That camera announcement actually surprised me in the way that it seems that Ricoh imaging still have more juice to run than what I though. Perhaps a hint of Ricoh imaging will to strive.
01-28-2017, 05:06 AM   #334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Whatever critics may say, this camera concept is pretty good and borrow some of the concepts of the Fuji X. It has a nice style, with a bit of vintage and also available in silver. It is small and light weight but also allow for a grip for longer battery life, very similar to the situation with mirror-less cameras. + you have the Pentax specific features of the previous cameras (IBIS, pixel shift, ES etc).

That camera announcement actually surprised me in the way that it seems that Ricoh imaging still have more juice to run than what I though. Perhaps a hint of Ricoh imaging will to strive.
I completely agree.
And i am impatient to put my hands on this KP i.o. to confirm this.

01-28-2017, 06:11 AM - 2 Likes   #335
Forum Member

Right!

So, you're saying it's just like Pentax's presence, then.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Most of the world doesn't have a clue what you're talking about there…
01-28-2017, 08:01 AM   #336
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Whatever critics may say, this camera concept is pretty good and borrow some of the concepts of the Fuji X.
I was one of those guys! I thought the concept was redundant. However, after looking at it a second and third time, I agree with you it would compete with the Fuji X series nicely. Compctness was one of the hallmarks of Pentax going back to the 70's and 80' that I can remember. The only feature Pentax is missing vs. Fuji is the under developed, lackluster video. I shoot a K1 these days but if I ever wanted to shoot APS-C again, the compactness of the KP would be very appealing to me.

The KP and the Limited 20-40 would be a dream combo.
01-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #337
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
The KP and the Limited 20-40 would be a dream combo.
Yep :-) Compact stylish travel combo, with high image quality.
01-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #338
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the looks of the camera. I'm not sure about the controls on the top dials, but it keeps it consistent with the K-1. I notice the KP is thicker than the Nikon FF Df. Hopefully the KP sells really well and Ricoh expands on the concept with a FF body.

01-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #339
Pentaxian

Thicker... yes and no - it's just the flash overhang (of course, the Df doesn't have a flash).
Compare camera dimensions side by side
01-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #340
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-1 and K-01 and I sold my K-3, so I'm really not in the market for another camera. I should be selling APSc lenses, unused film cameras ( heresy!) and saving my money for D FA's. I have no need for a top-line APSc camera.

But . . . . I still have these DA Limiteds . . . .

The question will be - aside from what would just be playing with yet another adult toy* - can I do something with this camera I can't do with a K-1?

* Yes, I am somewhat self-aware, but I'm also serious. I like the styling, but there has to be more justification for an $1,100 drop.
01-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #341

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Just out of curiosity, have you contacted Nikon, and what is their answer regarding making you a Nikon ambassador?
Actually yes I have. No they are not giving away cameras either but they are more willing to talk and work with me.Their pro support is better on several levels. From a retail point the price of the K1 went up while the D810 went down and now you can get either body for virtually the same price. Nikon already has a huge presence in the field of event photography and rightfully are less motivated than Ricoh should be.
Now don't get me wrong I love my K5 and have been a Pentax advocate for quite some time. Maybe I just like being the guy in the pit using something different (yeah I only shoot manual focus too) or maybe it is about truely being able to say it's my eye and experience not the camera but I now concede that an upgrade is due.My reason for upgrade is that lately lesser images with higher definition are being chosen over mine. A young Cannon FF user who I've been helping to get established caused me to realize I need more mega pixels.
In any case the specs on this new camera , it's price it's size and it's reportedly new Sony sensor have gotten my attention. I'm going to watch for a while before I jump.
01-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #342
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Floggin Rodger Quote
Actually yes I have. No they are not giving away cameras either but they are more willing to talk and work with me.Their pro support is better on several levels.
I am all the time surprise when peoples sy Nikor Pro service is better BUT to qualify, you need a 1000 points
A D810 give only 275 and D7200 200 points. And lenses are between 100 and 175 points for the main one .
Oh yes, and equipment you own will decrease in value when new models are introduce, this mean you have to buy new equipment just to stay in the program. This mean to meet the 1000 points , you need 2 bodys and at least 4 lenses. Probably a cost of over $10,000 US
https://www.nikonusa.com/Images/CPCAssets/nps/img/NPS-points-12222016.pdf
01-28-2017, 12:47 PM - 5 Likes   #343
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A young Cannon FF user who I've been helping to get established caused me to realize I need more mega pixels.
In any case the specs on this new camera , it's price it's size and it's reportedly new Sony sensor have gotten my attention. I'm going to watch for a while before I jump.
I am a professional in a different field to photography. I often say to my team - if there is a tool we need to make us more efficient, deliver better service to our clients, or we need the information (manuals, guides etc.) then we get it. Same for training. We try new stuff regularly, if it works for us we acquire.

I would have thought for photography professionals the basic same rules would apply - what do you need to do the job. What can you afford. What do you need to retain existing clients, and attract new ones within the range of work you are doing. Do you need any other equipment to do what you are doing better, more efficiently? Having done that analysis and continuing to test and adopt, you would end up with the right tools for your job. If that is Pentax equipment great, as it is the right tool for you. If not then, whatever you settle on will be the right tool for you, for the professional job you are doing.

For the rest of us, we are enthusiast photographers, and have the luxury of purchasing what we think we need, which is probably quite different than what we actually need.

Well healed enthusiasts can (and do) purchase new Leica cameras and lenses - because they buy into the brand promise of 'the essence of photography' - perhaps it makes them feel like they are better photographers. Perhaps because they have purchased luxury equipment there is some 'snob' value attached to the purchase as well. If they spent half as much as they do on one new Leica lens on some training they probably would be better photographers - but that is irrelevant, it is how what you purchase makes you feel that is important in todays consumer society.

For us Pentax enthusiast photographers - what draws us here to this brand and system? I have noted in the conversations that many of us are engineers, or have technical backgrounds (myself included).

The Pentax system appeals to that sort of person - it is rugged; well built; generally lasts long (aperture block and similar issues excepted); water resistant - good for outdoor and hiking; has reasonably good quality current lenses - both construction and optics; has good access to a huge amount of legacy lenses - K, M, M42 and the ability to meter them easily; has different controls like TAv that just work. Pentax cameras and lenses have also generally been pretty good value for money, the K-1 was yet another example of that - and good value for money also appeals to people with engineering and technical type backgrounds.

As enthusiasts, with technical backgrounds I think that is perhaps why we wind up about Pentax perceived short comings - we are committed to what this brand delivers, it's gestalt, and to perfection. This is not achievable of course, but it doesn't stop us wanting it.

So, to summarise - my expectation is that professionals should always find the right tool for the job they are doing. That will not always be the Pentax system. Enthusiast photographers will purchase whatever they think they need. For discerning technically oriented people that may well be the Pentax system - which offers brand values that appeal to such people, across a range of camera bodies and lenses.
01-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #344
Pentaxian

From a retail point the price of the K1 went up while the D810 went down and now you can get either body for virtually the same price.
Can you share where D810's sell for such a price? B&H lists D810 nearly $1000 higher than the K-1.
01-28-2017, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #345
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
As enthusiasts, with technical backgrounds I think that is perhaps why we wind up about Pentax perceived short comings - we are committed to what this brand delivers, it's gestalt, and to perfection. This is not achievable of course, but it doesn't stop us wanting it.
Your analysis is so on point. I am not a techie guy but made my rounds with a few brands before Pentax. Nostalgia brought me back to Pentax (owned the MX back in the film days), the image quality and all the other Pentax goodies made me stay.

As a photographer who gets paid for his images, I need a system that can deliver results and all the Pentaxes I have owned so far have done an excellent job. K1, my current camera is the bargain of the century for what is does and the images it delivers. Yes the Pentax system has lots of holes in it but there is plenty to be happy about too.