Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 04:26 AM   #376
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
Don't try to derail discussion from shaming Ricoh for removal of top screen, really bad AF with non-working tracking, non-metal top plate (and overall bad quality), inclusion of stupid third control wheel system, interchangeable hand grips that will definitely get detached from the camera while in use and sensor that gives same or worse image quality as in K-5
Sorry

01-29-2017, 04:27 AM   #377
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
You should try a Leica M once. You would discover, oh miracle! that you can see your photo on the rear LCD after taking it.
Hmmm, I must have missed that. Anyway, I'm still not interested in getting one. I'm happy with what I have. I'm still hoping for Pentax to improve on AF and in high ISO low light situations. I hope this camera would be a lot better than the k-5IIs. I have a k-3II and a k-5II. Features wise, k-3II is better than the k-5Ii. However, the k-5II has a much better image quality than the k-3II. Improvements that's what Pentax needs. Design wise except for one which I'm not saying which model, Pentax cameras are basically gorgeous and sexy mean machines.
01-29-2017, 04:30 AM   #378
Veteran Member

Hm, we don't know how the AF in the KP works yet... While it has the same AF hardware as the K-3 II Ricoh claims it has new AF software.
I like the KP. It seems to be a rugged little camera in a nice form factor with inspiration from Pentax SLR's in the past, especially the silver/black version reminds me of the MZ-3 and MZ-5N bodies (I still have my MZ-5N )...
01-29-2017, 08:39 AM   #379
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
So it takes $1600 for a crop camera without shake reduction?

No thanks.
You missed the point totally. My point was that Fuji listened to its users and improved the cameras. Pentax did not. Personally I would not get the Fuji either, and not because it is missing shake reduction. If I made a move towards a 4K video capable camera, it would be the Sony A6500.

I hope Pentax fixes the video issue and stops people from migrating to other brands for a feature that people are increasingly forced to deal with. I have been shooting stills for a long time and never been asked by my clients for video. Now they are asking me to do videos too. And as you know the new craze is 4K. Shooting Pentax, I do not have that option.

I do not want to abandon Pentax because I have a superior camera in my K1. So I am forced to completely switch or add a second set of bodies and lenses from another brand to deliver 4K video. That is an expense which would be greatly reduced by a single brand solution. It is a balancing act as to who to pick for a single brand. No one brand is perfect but then there are brands that offer the most bang for the buck and overall features. Unfortunately Pentax is not it anymore.

Frankly I do not care much about video in my cameras. However, If I do not offer 4K video capability, my clients go to someone who does. It is that simple.

01-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #380
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Frankly I do not care much about video in my cameras. However, If I do not offer 4K video capability, my clients go to someone who does. It is that simple.
So there is a fairly simple 2 body solution for that. Keep your K1 for the work it is most suitable for, and purchase the Panasonic GH5 for video. It is top notch. The GH5 can mount m4/3 Panasonic and Olympus lenses. With an adaptor it can also mount Pentax lenses.
01-29-2017, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #381
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
You missed the point totally. My point was that Fuji listened to its users and improved the cameras. Pentax did not. Personally I would not get the Fuji either, and not because it is missing shake reduction. If I made a move towards a 4K video capable camera, it would be the Sony A6500.

I hope Pentax fixes the video issue and stops people from migrating to other brands for a feature that people are increasingly forced to deal with. I have been shooting stills for a long time and never been asked by my clients for video. Now they are asking me to do videos too. And as you know the new craze is 4K. Shooting Pentax, I do not have that option.

I do not want to abandon Pentax because I have a superior camera in my K1. So I am forced to completely switch or add a second set of bodies and lenses from another brand to deliver 4K video. That is an expense which would be greatly reduced by a single brand solution. It is a balancing act as to who to pick for a single brand. No one brand is perfect but then there are brands that offer the most bang for the buck and overall features. Unfortunately Pentax is not it anymore.

Canon 5D Mk III and Nikon D750/810 users would dominate the wedding industry, but they're only capable of HD as well.

You own more than one lens, right, Btnapa, because they do different things?

And as a pro, you would own more than one body, too.

Best practice would say, buy a video camera. It's the tool for the job. You'd get a GH5 or Red to go with your stills shooting. That's a business case you construct for yourself.

Me, I'll just use my phone for 4k casual shooting. I'm like you. As posts in this forum have shown in the past, and as Ricoh seems to indicate in its marketing of stills quality, most Pentaxians don't care for video at all. We're not alone.

Now, video capability comes not from software, which is easy, but the underlying hardware. The older HD encoder chipsets are proven and cheap, so that's why the K-1 is as affordable as it is.

I did not want the K-1 to cost one more cent than it had to, or be delayed in release for one more day than it had to, to incorporate a feature for the benefit of a wedding videographer who doesn't want to buy and pack an extra camera.

Of course, the 4k video motherboards will naturally become cheaper and will make their way into all cameras (including Ricoh's) as 1080 ones did, so this will eventually become a moot point.

The Fujitsu Milbeaut chipset used by Nikon, Pentax, Leica and Sigma only recently released a 4k capable version, which is in the Nikon D5 and D500 launched last year. That chipset will come down in price.

Last edited by clackers; 01-29-2017 at 03:43 PM.
01-29-2017, 04:08 PM   #382
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I did not want the K-1 to cost one more cent than it had to, or be delayed in release for one more day than it had to, to incorporate a feature for the benefit of a wedding videographer who doesn't want to buy and pack an extra camera.
I could not agree more!

01-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #383

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
LOL, OK. If you're trying to convince yourself new D810s are priced virtually the same as K-1's, knock yourself out. If you're trying to convince PF readership, I don't think they're as stupid as you're hoping.
Not trying to convince anyone of anything . Walmart is selling d810s for $2,200 right now and there are lower prices available. You might want to follow my chain of posts back to see why I brought this up rather than assuming that I'm trolling PF's sacred brand. With that said I'm out of this conversation because there is no good outcome from a discussion with a fanboy. Have a nice day!
01-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
LOL, OK. If you're trying to convince yourself new D810s are priced virtually the same as K-1's
Well, from what I can see that Nikon is U$15 more in Audtralia(20) and its still got that OLD sensor!

---------- Post added 01-30-17 at 12:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
So there is a fairly simple 2 body solution for that. Keep your K1

Good idea!

the Panasonic GH5 for video. It is top
Especially when the firmwares are complete around mid year.

The GH5 can mount m4/3 Panasonic and Olympus lenses. With an adaptor it can also mount Pentax lenses.

Itll also adapt Canon(AF) and speedboost with many lenses both current and Legacy!
01-29-2017, 06:18 PM   #385
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Floggin Rodger Quote
Not trying to convince anyone of anything . Walmart* is selling d810s for $2,200 right now and there are lower prices available. You might want to follow my chain of posts back to see why I brought this up rather than assuming that I'm trolling PF's sacred brand. With that said I'm out of this conversation because there is no good outcome from a discussion with a fanboy. Have a nice day!
No one is accusing you of trolling. They're merely pointing out that D810 is end-of-life (D850 coming soon), Nikon is hemmoraghing money and dumping inventory at Walmart to stay in business, and 42nd St. Photo is not a valid retailer.

At least compare prices at one retailer like Adorama or B&H.

* See luftluss below. Not even Walmart, but an untrustworthy seller like 42nd Street. D810'a from real sources are still $2,700.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-29-2017 at 07:43 PM.
01-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #386
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
No one is accusing you of trolling. They're merely pointing out that D810 is end-of-life (D850 coming soon), Nikon is hemmoraghing money and dumping inventory at Walmart to stay in business, and 42nd St. Photo is not a valid retailer.
Looking forward to its launch.. that means D810s will start to lower in price more.. used USA or new grey go for around 2000-2200 USD right now. Probably lower into the 1700-1900 USD range by end of year if the replacement is launched a CP+... at least my unqualified guess.

Why does that matter to us? More options but also potentially a move for Pentax to keep prices down. Well.. maybe..

Nikon is hemorrhaging money because they're too big for the current, soggy market... but I wouldn't count them out, even if the drop in value is large. Nikon to Cut 1,000 Jobs Amid Losses in Chipmaking Gear Business - Bloomberg that article claims Nikon is restructuring to focus on high end models.

Looks like that is where the trend is headed in the DSLR/ILC photography market.. as Ricoh indicated 2 years ago by claiming they were starting to now move towards making 'premium' products.

I suspect, in the next few years, it will become a case of those of us who looked for 700-1000 dollar higher end bodies are either going to have to cough up a bit more (say 300-400 dollars) or look to buy used gear more often. I think the used market will thrive. That doesn't really help any brand so much... helps KEH and eBay though haha.
01-29-2017, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #387
Pentaxian

Aussie prices

K3 $1349

KP $1499

K3ii $1529

01-29-2017, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 2013
K-3ll - 2015
KP - 2017
01-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Floggin Rodger Quote
Not trying to convince anyone of anything . Walmart is selling d810s for $2,200 right now and there are lower prices available. You might want to follow my chain of posts back to see why I brought this up rather than assuming that I'm trolling PF's sacred brand. With that said I'm out of this conversation because there is no good outcome from a discussion with a fanboy. Have a nice day!
That's not Walmart. What you are seeing is a 3rd party seller going thru Walmart's marketplace, and this Digital Direct is a shady business and not an authorized reseller.
01-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #390
mee
Veteran Member

Well.. if anything.. this whole KP business has made me realize the lower end FF bodies aren't that much better than our high end APS-C bodies in terms of detail at base to low ISO. I started weighing my options before the news of a K-3 II successor (not the KP) was addressed.

Funny (to me) it was DPR that has really driven this point to me.. since they have comparison scenes with Nikon, Canon, and Pentax bodies.

The Pentax bodies really hold their own.. comparing K-3 II to D610 (as example since 24MP crop vs 24MP ff) at 100 ISO, do my eyes deceive me??? I see more detail in the Pentax images. I was expecting a complete opposite result. Of course, when one increases the ISO to around 3200 then the D610 flexes its muscles. There is a lot of chroma noise by then on the K-3 II. Hopefully the KP behaves better in this regard.

The only thing I can think of which could have thrown the test is potentially a lens issue with the Nikon front focusing slightly... but that would be a remarkable flaw for such a test by such a considered group.

Bring on the KP reviews! If only to see what Pentax is cooking these days in the kitchen...