Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 251 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 04:50 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aekn Quote
This looks like the Buick GNX of DSLRs. Love it! Similar to the GNX, though, many won't "get it".
Most of the world doesn't have a clue what you're talking about there…

01-26-2017, 04:51 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
It is a different sort of epic I guess...
Yuh, it's interesting enough - I just don't feel so inspired by it - probably just too familiar - nice pic, though

now, back to the KP....
01-26-2017, 04:53 AM - 3 Likes   #108
Veteran Member

Looks like I'll get my hands on a KP next week.
01-26-2017, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #109
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
well that's a nice connection for the day - my wife was born there, I was married there, and we lived there (well Swartkops) from 1999 to the end of 2002 - I love PE - many many happy memories
My cousin lived in Swartkops. I still have an aunt in Jefferies Bay. We moved to Cape Town when I was 10.

01-26-2017, 04:54 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Looks like I'll get my hands on a KP next week.
You'll have to let us know what you think once you've had a chance to play with it.
01-26-2017, 04:59 AM   #111
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Newer sensor with better specs. Improved AF algorithm. WiFi built in. Smaller, lighter and cuter.
Worse at some things, better at others.
Improved AF algorithm - we see it in every new camera. But hard to say if it's really so...
01-26-2017, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I think you're right! It has a bit of Nikon Df about it.

I doubt the KP arose from a similar motivation, though. Sharp edges and square planes are a styling aesthetic, but they aren't necessarily deliberately "retro". Thank heavens the KP has a smoother, less segmented appearance than the Df.

01-26-2017, 05:04 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
PENTAX KP A mid-class digital SLR camera, featuring a new APS-C-sized image sensor and super-high-sensitivity night-scene snapshot photography at ISO 819200 in a newly designed, compact body?RICOH IMAGING
The comments aren't always 100% accurate after translation, but a newer sensor might partly account for a higher price, perhaps?
01-26-2017, 05:04 AM   #114
Veteran Member

You'll have to let us know what you think once you've had a chance to play with it.
Sure will do
01-26-2017, 05:05 AM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frogfoot Quote
I'll support Ogl. KP is worse than K-3II (except probably for the sensor) and costs more than K-3II. I do not understand your enthusiasm of paying more for the worse product.
I myself would like just K-3II with better tracking AF and better sensor for the price of K-3II when it was introduced or slightly more. But KP indicates that the price of K-3II successor most likely be much more.
I imagine the features you asked for will be available soon - for $1,399.
01-26-2017, 05:06 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My cousin lived in Swartkops
It's a small world - I won't mention my cousins in Wanganui and my wife's (ex-SA) uncle in Dunedin, unless things start getting silly
01-26-2017, 05:24 AM   #117
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The KP is a brutalist camera. It looks great to me! As long as the humps and bumps aren't completely willful and it maintains the great Pentax ergonomics I'm all for the look.

I'm also very happy about the signs that pentax is opening up to us prime shooters. The wildlife, old man with big lens, high fps emphasis has for me been an issue with the cameras. Fuji has been a bit of a lure... but I do prefer the pentax brutalist attitude before the more jewelry like retro Fuji.

Unfortunately, or rather fortunately for my wallet, the lack of gps makes it a no go for me. Anyway the K3II is great for my use so I'm unlikely to change in a very long time.

The high iso examples are looking very good. Much better than my K3II. I don't even want to go iso 800 on that one...
01-26-2017, 05:26 AM - 4 Likes   #118
Pentaxian

Extract from the KP review by the French website Les Numériques:

Pentax KP, nouveau capteur 24,3 Mpx et 819200 ISO
QuoteOriginally posted by Les Numériques:
Le Pentax KP (...) cohabitera pendant six mois avec le K-3 II avant que celui-ci ne prenne sa retraite et soit remplacé.
Translation: "The Pentax KP will co-exist for six months with the K-3 II before the latter retires and is replaced."

Interesting, isn't it?
01-26-2017, 05:29 AM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Translation: "The Pentax KP will co-exist for six months with the K-3 II before the latter retires and is replaced."

Interesting, isn't it?
that Japanese review says that the camera was meant to come out last autumn (slowed down by earthquake) - I wonder if that affects the overlap time, as K-3ii seem to be disappearing already?
01-26-2017, 05:37 AM   #120
Pentaxian

I think you're right! It has a bit of Nikon Df about it.
Coincidence. Fortunately there's just this vague resemblance if you look at the cameras from the front - the KP keeps the proper modern interface.

---------- Post added 26-01-17 at 02:37 PM ----------

Extract from the KP review by the French website Les Numériques:

Pentax KP, nouveau capteur 24,3 Mpx et 819200 ISO

Interesting, isn't it?
What is interesting is that kenspo liked your post