Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Some people call it ugly, incapable and a waste of money sort of a camera. I think I'm partly to be blamed. When asked what I wanted, I wanted as super ME looking type of a camera. I also wanted better images at higher ISO and this thing can go up to 819200. Again, I'm partly to be blamed. I wanted better AF and they gave us 27 focus points instead of 11 as with the k-70. Again I'm partly to be blamed for that. So if an upgrade of the 17-135 comes out such as the 16-135 and a new APS-C dedicated 80-400 comes out, then I'm the guy to be blamed because I asked for those lenses too.

To those who keep whining about this camera, I accept I'm one of those to be blamed for the outcome. So sorry about that. But I think this camera simply looks dashing.
I do too, I pre-ordered in black as a second body to pair with K3II.

01-25-2017, 07:41 PM   #32
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Some people call it ugly, incapable and a waste of money sort of a camera. I think I'm partly to be blamed. When asked what I wanted, I wanted as super ME looking type of a camera. I also wanted better images at higher ISO and this thing can go up to 819200. Again, I'm partly to be blamed. I wanted better AF and they gave us 27 focus points instead of 11 as with the k-70. Again I'm partly to be blamed for that. So if an upgrade of the 17-135 comes out such as the 16-135 and a new APS-C dedicated 80-400 comes out, then I'm the guy to be blamed because I asked for those lenses too.

To those who keep whining about this camera, I accept I'm one of those to be blamed for the outcome. So sorry about that. But I think this camera simply looks dashing.
What? But looking at the other site, I believed we all wanted better video and AF?
01-25-2017, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #33

Did Pentax just give up on AF and video improvements? Best camera of 2010 for sure.

Last edited by chiane; 01-25-2017 at 07:53 PM.
01-25-2017, 07:43 PM   #34
Forum Member

I was just wondering, is this the usual way that pentax announces a new camera? Send out the announcement along with the specs. And minutes later retailors have it ready for order on their websites for the following month? That is really fast!

01-25-2017, 07:48 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
IT's seem all your message are against Pentax, why not looking at the other brand.
Exactly. Well-said.
01-25-2017, 07:50 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hiroshi Quote
I was just wondering, is this the usual way that pentax announces a new camera? Send out the announcement along with the specs. And minutes later retailors have it ready for order on their websites for the following month?
Yes, it's become normal.

However we did have to wait about 10 years between announcement of the full-frame K-1 and it's arrival in stores. Hopefully Pentax won't do that again.
01-25-2017, 07:59 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I didn't like this camera when I first saw it but now it is growing on me...

However, it really doesn't seem that much smaller than the k-3 based on the overlays that people have made, and the compactness is probably its most "special" feature making me want it but maybe it's not that compact? The fps and other core features are really nice (much better than my k-50) but I would rather wait for the flagship model if that is my top priority (I think I would really enjoy the kp as a backup though).

Also, is pixel shift becoming a feature for all Pentax cameras? I'm surprised they aren't reserving that as a high end feature. Perhaps they can't justify it since it is merely a firmware addition and requires no special hardware?

01-25-2017, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
What? But looking at the other site, I believed we all wanted better video and AF?
I'm at fault about the video too. I didn't ask for video improvements as I don't care much about it. Maybe next time around I'll ask for it.
01-25-2017, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Lacking the top LCD screen is something I would not want. Maybe that is to accommodate the "compact" style. It does have a nice set of performance features. It seems like an advance from the K70 and it is compact, but is not in the K-3II flagship category or at its level.
Do we really need a top LCD when the screen tilts giving you the same view angle as that top LCD?
I don't think so.
01-25-2017, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Out of all the specs I am mainly curious about the new sensor. Obviously 819200 sounds impressive. So does 51200. In reality, I'd just be happy if its performance at 12800 were as good as the K50 is at 3200.
01-25-2017, 09:43 PM - 3 Likes   #41
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Do we really need a top LCD when the screen tilts giving you the same view angle as that top LCD?
I don't think so.
Well, from what I read and the many 'likes' on such comments, many of us do think it is needed.

As a matter of fact, I disable the back LED screen (as it is a big, glowing monstrosity that slows down my productivity) and strictly use the top LCD panel.

As a result, this KP camera isn't even on the list for consideration. Looking for a true K-3 II successor with a top LCD panel, or I'm possibly looking for another brand (it is that serious).
01-25-2017, 09:50 PM - 3 Likes   #42
Forum Member

This looks like the Buick GNX of DSLRs. Love it! Similar to the GNX, though, many won't "get it".

01-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Want to see the photos of black limited lenses on the sliver camera.
Sliver one looks better from front but the black one looks better from back...
I was thinking this too. There's a photo of the silver camera with a black zoom lens here: http://www.adorama.com/alc/first-look-pentax-kp-enthusiast-dslr-is-speed-demon

It's not a DA limited, but clearly the black lens on silver body looks great! Ok, t's subjective, but I think it looks great.

It reminds me a lot of the K-1000 I started with (which was also silver and used black lenses, so nothing new there).
01-25-2017, 09:52 PM - 4 Likes   #44
Forum Member

You could switch to a film body and avoid the rear screen altogether. Huge battery saver that won't interrupt your workflow.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Well, from what I read and the many 'likes' on such comments, many of us do think it is needed.

As a matter of fact, I disable the back LED screen (as it is a big, glowing monstrosity that slows down my productivity) and strictly use the top LCD panel.

As a result, this KP camera isn't even on the list for consideration. Looking for a true K-3 II successor with a top LCD panel, or I'm possibly looking for another brand (it is that serious).
01-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aekn Quote
This looks like the Buick GNX of DSLRs. Love it! Similar to the GNX, though, many won't "get it".
Great analogy as a car guy and huge GM fan, I totally get this one. Thanks for the smile! If I ever had piles of money a GNX would be in my garage.

Guess thats why I am getting the GNX of Pentax cameras the KP!