Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 251 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 02:41 AM - 2 Likes   #76
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogfoot Quote
I'll support Ogl. KP is worse than K-3II (except probably for the sensor) and costs more than K-3II. I do not understand your enthusiasm of paying more for the worse product.
It's missing top LCD, has smaller battery, less FPS and smaller buffer, but features new sensor with new image processing pipeline (thus slightly better image quality), better AF (claimed by Ricoh), better IBIS, smaller body, tilting screen, more control customisation options, electronic shutter with up to 1/24000 speed. It's not better or worse as camera, it's aimed at different user base than K-3.

I myself would like just K-3II with better tracking AF and better sensor for the price of K-3II when it was introduced or slightly more. But KP indicates that the price of K-3II successor most likely be much more.
Basically you want 85% of D500/D7II features, for 50% of their price?

01-26-2017, 02:41 AM   #77
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
agree with that - but just wanted to say that the Great Karoo is one of my favourite places - though English, I've spent many hours and days driving its roads and breathing in its magic with ts dust.

here's a few of the pics - Karoo | Flickr
Thanks for sharing those - some really nice images in there. That is the kind of photography I love.
01-26-2017, 02:42 AM - 3 Likes   #78
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Just to check my theory - are you living in the Northern Hemisphere or in the beautiful sun laden, middle of summer Southern Hemisphere?

OK, I just checked your profile - Russia again...

Theory is still good
Hey, I live in Baltics, it's shitty weather almost 9 month in a row, I still like KP and prefer it over K-3II
01-26-2017, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
my home town GRT
I lived there for a year, my parents-in law's (then) house on Park Street (1998-9) - and my wife is SA and her grandmother used to ive in that house and all the family used to go there - we had our honeymoon there in 1989 so... love it

sorry, folks - back to cameras

01-26-2017, 02:44 AM   #80
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
I agree people complain and threaten to leave. Like why birch to us. Write pentax a letter.

But more importantly let me know when summer arrives in New Zealand. Queenstown just got snow last week. It's cold down here on the south island haha
Yes it has been pretty patchy. We have had some nice warm days over the past few weeks, so I am hoping it it settling down.
01-26-2017, 02:46 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is the kind of photography I love.
thanks me too - one of the reasons I wish I could get out of the UK more often - never anywhere to stop here, and no epic scenery (down south, at least)
01-26-2017, 02:47 AM   #82
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
Hey, I live in Baltics, it's shitty weather almost 9 month in a row, I still like KP and prefer it over K-3II
Good to know my theory has been shot down already

I was probably going to get into trouble with that theory real fast in any case.

I was in the Baltic's in early summer a few years back, and it was very nice for the couple of weeks I was there. Maybe only 2 days raining in that time. I have no idea about winter, I imagine it could be cold enough.

01-26-2017, 02:56 AM - 2 Likes   #83
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks me too - one of the reasons I wish I could get out of the UK more often - never anywhere to stop here, and no epic scenery (down south, at least)
I was in Devon and Cornwall - July last year. It is a different sort of epic I guess...

Image taken from the West Kennet Long Barrow
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-26-2017, 02:57 AM   #84
Pentaxian

I'll support Ogl. KP is worse than K-3II (except probably for the sensor) and costs more than K-3II. I do not understand your enthusiasm of paying more for the worse product.
I myself would like just K-3II with better tracking AF and better sensor for the price of K-3II when it was introduced or slightly more. But KP indicates that the price of K-3II successor most likely be much more.
My friend I never expressed any enthousiasm or criticism against KP for the simple reason I have not tried it yet. But I'm excited that Pentax released a new camera, unlike you. I still have my K-5IIs that is an excellent camera and the KP seems quite a nice camera to replace it at some point in the future.

PS: In case you are interested I have to tell you that friends of mine that already have it and test it (photographers from the official represenattives here) are quite impressed from its performance although it doesn't fit their pro level needs (it is out of their interests). They have also described me what its strong points are and what they consider as cons of the camera and soon enough I will be able to test it myself too. So yes I'm excited for a new product of the company I support as a customer, even though I might pass on this one I know at some point they will release a camera that fits my shooting style and needs that I will buy. On the contrary if nothing new came out this site would be dead and the famous TM would show up again from all those Pentax "well wishers"

You should visit a doctor and tell him that you like KP hahahahaha. Your comments and @NZ_Ross have made me laugh! Thank you!
01-26-2017, 03:02 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I lived there for a year, my parents-in law's (then) house on Park Street (1998-9) - and my wife is SA and her grandmother used to ive in that house and all the family used to go there - we had our honeymoon there in 1989 so... love it

sorry, folks - back to cameras
No problem. I enjoyed your Karoo photos. I don't often get homesick, but somehow the Karoo landscapes, with the windpompe brings back memories. Not to mention your Port Elizabeth car. (Born there)

Here's another windpomp photo. (Pentax SFXn)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SFXn  Photo 
01-26-2017, 03:05 AM   #86
Forum Member

It's missing top LCD, has smaller battery, less FPS and smaller buffer, but features new sensor with new image processing pipeline (thus slightly better image quality), better AF (claimed by Ricoh), better IBIS, smaller body, tilting screen, more control customisation options, electronic shutter with up to 1/24000 speed. It's not better or worse as camera, it's aimed at different user base than K-3.

Basically you want 85% of D500/D7II features, for 50% of their price?
K-70 has better sensor and image processing pipeline than K-3II and articulated LCD and costs much less, so it cannot justify high price of KP.
How can KP have better AF if it has the same SAFOX as K-3II? Only slight tuning I guess.
Body of KP is just 1.5 mm smaller Compare camera dimensions side by side
Control customisation option don't affect a price much too.
Better IBIS and electronic shutter yes, it's good.. But I think that's not enough.

And as I have said I want 120% features of K-3II for 100-120% of its price. I'm not talking about 7DII and D500.
01-26-2017, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #87
Forum Member

I was in the Baltic's in early summer a few years back, and it was very nice for the couple of weeks I was there. Maybe only 2 days raining in that time. I have no idea about winter, I imagine it could be cold enough.
Nov - Apr it can get as cold as -25°C, but usually temperature hangs around 0°..-10°C. But temperature or snow is not a problem, but rather prolonged periods of overcast weather with no signs of blue sky for days, combined with rain and mud.

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
PS: In case you are interested I have to tell you that friends of mine that already have it and test it (photographers from the official represenattives here) are quite impressed from its performance although it doesn't fit their pro level needs (it is out of their interests). They have also described me what its strong points are and what they consider as cons of the camera and soon enough I will be able to test it myself too.
I'm interested (as many others I guess), spill the beans!

You should visit a doctor and tell him that you like KP hahahahaha. Your comments and @NZ_Ross have made me laugh! Thank you!
I think he will prescribe me some Canikon products and I'm not sure I will like it
01-26-2017, 03:09 AM   #88
Forum Member

PS: In case you are interested I have to tell you that friends of mine that already have it and test it (photographers from the official represenattives here) are quite impressed from its performance although it doesn't fit their pro level needs (it is out of their interests). They have also described me what its strong points are and what they consider as cons of the camera and soon enough I will be able to test it myself too. So yes I'm excited for a new product of the company I support as a customer, even though I might pass on this one I know at some point they will release a camera that fits my shooting style and needs that I will buy. On the contrary if nothing new came out this site would be dead and the famous TM would show up again from all those Pentax "well wishers"
I don't want to say it's bad camera. I'm saying it's overpriced. And that this tendency scares me because I want K-3II successor.
01-26-2017, 03:11 AM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Do we really need a top LCD when the screen tilts giving you the same view angle as that top LCD?
I don't think so.
For the battery life, the top screen is much better. When shooting, no need tu use the back screen, just put OFF this function after each shoot. So, for 200$ more than the K3-II, I think this model is made for people who want to have a différent camera style.
01-26-2017, 03:13 AM - 2 Likes   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Initial production volume: 7,000 units per month. The same as for the K-1.
This is not a high volume product.
As a benchmark, the same initial monthly production volume was:

- 5,000 units for K-70
- 10,000 units for K-3 II
- 15,000 units for K-S2
- 20,000 units for K-S1
- 10,000 units for K-3
- 20,000 units for K-50
- 20,000 units for K-5 II(s)
- 20,000 units for K-30
- 14,000 units for K-01.

The trend is a clear decline, in line with the global market:

- mid-range: 20,000 units (K-30, K-50) --> 15,000 units (K-S2) --> 5,000 units (K-70)
- expert level: 20.000 (K-5 II) --> 10.000 (K-3, K-3 II).

I don't know were to classify the Pentax KP. Ricoh Imaging have bigger ambitions for it than for K-70 but smaller than for K-3 and K-3 II.

Last edited by Mistral75; 01-26-2017 at 03:36 AM.