Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 251 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 03:14 AM   #91
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frogfoot Quote
I don't want to say it's bad camera
It we made it blacker, dark tinted the mirror and windows, and then covered it in gangsta bling it would be 'bad'.

You know what I am saying...

---------- Post added 26-01-17 at 11:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Here's another windpomp photo. (Pentax SFXn)
Very nice image Mark. Thanks for sharing.

01-26-2017, 03:21 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Very nice image Mark. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Ross.
01-26-2017, 03:24 AM   #93
Forum Member

K-70 has better sensor and image processing pipeline than K-3II and articulated LCD and costs much less, so it cannot justify high price of KP.
K-70 doesn't have magnesium alloy body of KP, has older AF module (K-5 era), different sensor, older generation IBIS, different image pipeline, K-30/K-50 shutter/mirror assembly
How can KP have better AF if it has the same SAFOX as K-3II? Only slight tuning I guess.
AF is hardware with software.
Body of KP is just 1.5 mm smaller Compare camera dimensions side by side
Only pentaprism hump is 1.5mm smaller, other parts have more significant size difference.
Control customisation option don't affect a price much too.
But you don't have it on K-3II

And as I have said I want 120% features of K-3II for 100-120% of its price. I'm not talking about 7DII and D500.
In KP, you have better sensor and somewhat improved AF for 100% of the initial K3 price already, so I don't see reasons for whining then. If Ricoh doesn't come up with K3II successor until the end of the year, then whiners will have at least some justification for their complaints. Right now, there is no indication that this is intended as a (semi) pro camera, targeted for K3II replacement.
01-26-2017, 03:24 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Looks like Pentax is trying to tap into the market for retro looking cameras at a lower price point then the current K-1.

Be good to see a few reviews of the camera in actual use.

Except for the greatly improved ISO range (100-819,200) and shutter speed range (1/24,000), the specs by themselves don't appear to be a revolutionary leap forward (not that they have to be to produce a nice camera!).

01-26-2017, 03:29 AM - 2 Likes   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Foxbat Quote
I'm interested (as many others I guess), spill the beans!
Ok, some of his initial impressions! I was worried about the ergonomics and the front vertical wheel and he told me its a joy to hold and work with! The ergonomics are of the reknown user friendly Pentax level. He had the chance to shoot night city photography and he found the AF to be noticeably improved and very fast in comparison with his K-3II. He didn't expect that as the AF module is basically the same (but seems its not... quite different). Also the high ISO performance is a big improvement and ISO 3200 seems very usable for APS-C sensor.

I can't wait to test it myself. I have sent him some more questions until then! If I have any more feedback I will let you know.

I think he will prescribe me some Canikon products and I'm not sure I will like it
You can get in their forums and ask for some new Canonikon equipment with strawberry flavour and whine every time something new comes out and is not strawberry flavoured.
01-26-2017, 03:29 AM - 2 Likes   #96
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Looks like Pentax is trying to tap into the market for retro looking cameras at a lower price point then the current K-1.
I think you're right! It has a bit of Nikon Df about it.
Attached Images

Last edited by MarkJerling; 01-26-2017 at 03:38 AM.
01-26-2017, 03:40 AM   #97
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I was worried about the ergonomics and the front vertical wheel and he told me its a joy to hold and work with! The ergonomics are of the reknown user friendly Pentax level. He had the chance to shoot night city photography and he found the AF to be noticeably improved and very fast in comparison with his K-3II. He didn't expect that as the AF module is basically the same (but seems its not... quite different). Also the high ISO performance is a big improvement and ISO 3200 seems very usable for APS-C sensor.
Good news all around!

I can't wait to test it myself. I have sent him some more questions until then! If I have any more feedback I will let you know.
If you'll get your hands on KP, don't forget to create review thread in Pentax KP subforum

You can get in their forums and ask for some new Canonikon equipment with strawberry flavour and whine every time something new comes out and is not strawberry flavoured.
That got me thinking about pink KP with strawberry flavour That ought to create a new market in Japan

01-26-2017, 03:41 AM   #98
Forum Member

K-70 doesn't have magnesium alloy body of KP, has older AF module (K-5 era), different sensor, older generation IBIS, different image pipeline, K-30/K-50 shutter/mirror assembly
I'm not comparing here KP with K-70. KP is deffinitely more advanced and better built than K-70 and should cost more. I wanted to say by this, that newer sensor of the same size doesn't significantly affect the price.
QuoteQuote:
AF is hardware with software.
When I changed K-5II to K-3II I didn't noticed much improvement in tracking AF. And they have different SAFOXes. Here SAFOX is the same. So I don't expect much improvementit here too. I will be happy if I'm wrong with it.
QuoteQuote:
Only pentaprism hump is 1.5mm smaller, other parts have more significant size difference.
Ok
QuoteQuote:
But you don't have it on K-3II
I don't have extra wheels, but existing wheels and buttons are customisable.
QuoteQuote:
In KP, you have better sensor and somewhat improved AF for 100% of the initial K3 price already
Yes. and that's what I don't like: KP is not a top camera and is selling for the price of the top.
01-26-2017, 03:43 AM   #99
Pentaxian

That got me thinking about pink KP with strawberry flavour That ought to create a new market in Japan
And the Philippines....
01-26-2017, 03:56 AM - 2 Likes   #100
Forum Member

I'm not comparing here KP with K-70. KP is deffinitely more advanced and better built than K-70 and should cost more. I wanted to say by this, that newer sensor of the same size doesn't significantly affect the price.
We don't know revisions of of KP and K-70 sensors, so we can't speculate how sensor price affects each camera.

I don't have extra wheels, but existing wheels and buttons are customisable.
K-3II has only one Fx button, KP has 3 with more types of functions that can be assigned to them, also KP has third wheel with mode selector that has 3 custom settings - it's more advanced than K-1! This means they at least had to change software or even hardware to do this.

Yes. and that's what I don't like: KP is not a top camera and is selling for the price of the top.
It's selling for a previous Pentax top tier camera price, other APS-C players sell mid tier offerings in that price bracket.

Pentax users whined and complained for years about lagging behind Canikon in areas that require large investment - marketing, AF & tracking, lenses. You want improvements in those areas - get ready to pay.

Last edited by Foxbat; 01-26-2017 at 04:02 AM. Reason: typos
01-26-2017, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #101

He had the chance to shoot night city photography and he found the AF to be noticeably improved and very fast in comparison with his K-3II. He didn't expect that as the AF module is basically the same (but seems its not... quite different)
One of the press releases says Ricoh completely re-wrote the AF software - there in lies the difference. Whether or not Ricoh will re-write the AF software for some of the earlier AF modules remains to be seen. I doubt it.
01-26-2017, 04:00 AM - 4 Likes   #102
bxf
Veteran Member

I think you're right! It has a bit of Nikon Df about it.
Tastes vary, but looks-wise, I'd take this KP over any Pentax dSLR from K-10 to present.
01-26-2017, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

Those of you who wonder which positioning Ricoh Imaging intended for the Pentax KP within their DSLR portfolio should have a look at the Japanese website.

1/ Pentax KP is qualified as "mid-class digital SLR camera" or "mid-class model":

PENTAX KP A mid-class digital SLR camera, featuring a new APS-C-sized image sensor and super-high-sensitivity night-scene snapshot photography at ISO 819200 in a newly designed, compact body?RICOH IMAGING

2/ Look where it stands among the other DSLRs!

01-26-2017, 04:41 AM   #104

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Lacking the top LCD screen is something I would not want. Maybe that is to accommodate the "compact" style. It does have a nice set of performance features. It seems like an advance from the K70 and it is compact, but is not in the K-3II flagship category or at its level.
Nope, you can turn the back LCD upwards = big top LCD!
01-26-2017, 04:47 AM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not to mention your Port Elizabeth car. (Born there)
well that's a nice connection for the day - my wife was born there, I was married there, and we lived there (well Swartkops) from 1999 to the end of 2002 - I love PE - many many happy memories