Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 07:15 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh-Imaging "This latest autofocus algorithm assures a faster autofocusing speed than the one used in the conventional SAFOX 11 module. It lets you react more swiftly and effortlessly to unexpected shutter chances."

I can't imagine them releasing a firmware update for the K-3ii to implement such autofocus algorithm...
Though, that would create an incentive for consumers to buy up any remaining K-3ii stock.

01-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #137
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
...or later

Ricoh Imaging are not foreign to announcing cameras in June (K-70, K-50, K-500, Q7) or July (K-3 Prestige Edition, XG-1, Smurf K-01).
Can we trust this source? I think we can be close to real info at CP+2017.
01-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Ricoh-Imaging "This latest autofocus algorithm assures a faster autofocusing speed than the one used in the conventional SAFOX 11 module. It lets you react more swiftly and effortlessly to unexpected shutter chances."

I can't imagine them releasing a firmware update for the K-3ii to implement such autofocus algorithm...
Though, that would create an incentive for consumers to buy up any remaining K-3ii stock.
Perhaps I spoke to soon about auto-focus improvements. If they have truly implemented a better algorithm then perhaps it maybe the next camera on my wish list. Now i am very excited.
01-26-2017, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Can we trust this source? I think we can be close to real info at CP+2017.
I gave my view on this question one hour ago:
(...)

I happen to know Bruno Labarbere, the author of the KP review and chief of the photo column at Les Numériques. He wouldn't have printed that, hadn't he heard it from somebody at Ricoh Imaging France (which happens to be Ricoh Imaging Europe too) he would trust. It's also pretty easy to determine who from Ricoh Imaging France talked to him about the Pentax KP (but I will refrain from giving the guy's name or position ). Whether the latter has perfectly understood what was told to him by his Japanese counterparts at Ricoh Imaging HQ is another story...
If a true K-3 II successor were to be announced at CP+, it would be equipped with Wi-fi and possibly Bluetooth and therefore it would have been registered by some radiocommunications authority by now, be it under its model name or a code name.

01-26-2017, 07:21 AM   #140

Especially considering the huge price difference.
01-26-2017, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #141
Pentaxian

I'm not replacing anything with a KP. I don't need a stinkin' KP, whatsoever!! But I'm getting one anyway. This uber-cool device will be my new all-time favorite camera, no doubt... can't wait to scoop one up!
01-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #142

Photos: Gallery
i personally like the design,espescially with vg on,also the k1 design.
its about time pentax reffering the design back to their film slr, since pentax is the first japanese slr and still keeping the same bayonet mount as we know.
all the old lenses fits with no hastle,the m42 taks etc is a bit tricky to fit tho,but no flange.
i think the retro design is celebrating that reason.

but i dont really think interchangeable grip is necessary,tho its a kinda cool because its a new-ish innovation (first on pentax lx). cool for the guys who is interested in making diy grips,probably wood grips..hmmm...the lens mount led on k1 is more usefull,why not put that instead. but then again, maybe KP is intended to be a stylish DSLR, so the interchangeable grip does makes sense

Last edited by Wiwa; 01-26-2017 at 08:12 AM.
01-26-2017, 07:30 AM   #143
Forum Member

I can't imagine them releasing a firmware update for the K-3 ii to implement such autofocus algorithm...
We don't know how computational hungry new AF algorithms are and whether PRIME III in K-3 and K-3II can actually handle the load. We know though, that KP has PRIME IV, that is used in K-1 to handle 36MP images and also has image accelerator (whatever that means) from K-70.

So don't jump to conclusions just yet.
01-26-2017, 07:30 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I gave my view on this question one hour ago:

If a true K-3 II successor were to be announced at CP+, it would be equipped with Wi-fi and possibly Bluetooth and therefore it would have been registered by some radiocommunications authority by now, be it under its model name or a code name.
Not if it wasn't going to be available until june.
01-26-2017, 07:35 AM   #145
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Google Translate

Sample KP photos, site translated through google.

ISO 800 doesn't look that great to me.. still mushy.. I see no improvement at this setting. ISO 3200, however, does look better for ISO 3200 imo.
No one cares about example KP photos?
01-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #146

No one cares about example KP photos?
I do. Specially in the high ISO range I honestly still don't believe that any ISO above 51800 is going to be usable in real life, no matter what amount of processing and sensor fine tuning they made. I can't wait to see the images for all the ISO values.
01-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #147
mee
Veteran Member

Extract from the KP review by the French website Les Numériques:

Pentax KP, nouveau capteur 24,3 Mpx et 819200 ISO

Translation: "The Pentax KP will co-exist for six months with the K-3 II before the latter retires and is replaced."

Interesting, isn't it?
Well that's a relief. Poor phrasing on the release of the KP then.. and why is the K-3 II listed as discontinued in the Japanese shops as reported several days ago?

In any case, it makes me wonder what direction the flagship takes now... retro mod or K-3 style. And then what features/price is a crop flagship these days to them.
01-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The camera looks good, but still designed as entry level camera (small battery) and the price isn't entry level. I'd eventually get one if the battery was a D-LI90 (so I could use backup battery from the K1). Otherwise, at this price I could get a small prime for the K1 and still use the K1 as compact kit.
Right.
I'd actually consider the KP as a sidekick to my K-3ii if they shared the same battery.

Oh, and... Hi - 8 frame RAW buffer? Is that a joke?!
01-26-2017, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #149
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gorme Quote
I do. Specially in the high ISO range I honestly still don't believe that any ISO above 51800 is going to be usable in real life, no matter what amount of processing and sensor fine tuning they made. I can't wait to see the images for all the ISO values.
Me either.. I think it is more a marketing spiel to raise eyebrows.. Nikon seems to do the same thing on their announcements.

But still nice to see up to ISO 3200 on the page for now.. the reviews from IR and other places should be fun.

One other thing I noticed, is those sample photos were taken in early/mid December with firmware 1.0, so it seems they completed before the end of the year..
01-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #150
Veteran Member

Well that's a relief. Poor phrasing on the release of the KP then.. and why is the K-3 II listed as discontinued in the Japanese shops as reported several days ago?

In any case, it makes me wonder what direction the flagship takes now... retro mod or K-3 style. And then what features/price is a crop flagship these days to them.
Maybe the true K-3ii successor with be another new design, but Pro APS-c focused. Priced accordingly... ~$1799? This would then bump the K-1 successor into a new price point ~$2199?

Curious what lies ahead!