Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 251 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #166
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Extract from the KP review by the French website Les Numériques:

Pentax KP, nouveau capteur 24,3 Mpx et 819200 ISO

Translation: "The Pentax KP will co-exist for six months with the K-3 II before the latter retires and is replaced."

Interesting, isn't it?
Please let there be a true K-3II replacement! Please let there be a true K-3II replacement! Please let there be a true K-3II replacement! Please let there be a true K-3II.....

After reading all the hype, specs, looking at videos, & all other preliminary stuff, the KP still does nothing for me. If I wanted something smaller, I'd just pick up an older, but still relevant Olympus OMD E-M1 or a Panasonic G85 instead.

Here's to hoping that Pentax releases a true APS-C flagship replacement sometime this year.

01-26-2017, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Please let there be a true K-3II replacement! Please let there be a true K-3II replacement! Please let there be a true K-3II replacement! Please let there be a true K-3II.....
Ricoh on Facebook:

"Please note that the KP is not the successor of the K3."
01-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #168
Pentaxian

^ Excellent!

I'm hoping for something a bit more advanced. I'll probably be unloading a couple of lenses & picking up the 16-85mm & 55-300mm PLM lenses once I find out what the new flagship will bring.
01-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Excellent!
Not the very, very subtle possibility that they mean that it is not a K3 successor, but instead a new line, whereas the K3 line may still end.

But I doubt it

01-26-2017, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #170
Pentaxian

^ As long as it's more advanced than the current K-3II & even KP, I'll get it. I'm still hoping for a revamped & more advanced AF system.
01-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #171
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The definitive answer was just given by Kunzite in another thread:

CP+ is all about Theta and KP. No other camera is to be put under the spotlights.
Alas....No GRIII, no new lenses.... But I hope.
01-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #172
npc
Veteran Member

"Extract Edge" looks like one of the focus peaking modes that were available on the Ricoh GXR

01-26-2017, 09:03 AM   #173

Photos: Gallery
I just wonder if they are going to kill the evolution of the K7-K5ii-K3 APS-C bodies in favor of this new one?
Maybe they just want to leave alone the K1 at the top end?
For me the K5ii body ergonomics was close to perfect...
01-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #174
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Ricoh on Facebook:

"Please note that the KP is not the successor of the K3."
Now we wait.. again. I think Pentax is the camera line to build patience. K-1 took ~10 years.. DA wide angle has been on the roadmap for years.. now waiting on K-3 II successor which may arrive in 6 months.. maybe later.. maybe never.

---------- Post added 01-26-17 at 10:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by yygomez Quote
I just wonder if they are going to kill the evolution of the K7-K5ii-K3 APS-C bodies in favor of this new one?
Maybe they just want to leave alone the K1 at the top end?
For me the K5ii body ergonomics was close to perfect...
Perhaps the KP is their survey of the market.. depending on how well it sells, maybe that means what kind of cameras they offer?
01-26-2017, 09:12 AM - 2 Likes   #175
Pentaxian

The things I look for in the K-3 successor.

Faster burst rate.
Deeper buffer.
Better AF
Better High ISO performance.
Tilt screen.

The KP checks 3 of 5, and doesn't keep up with the first two. To me it looks like a K-5 replacement, and in that sense, would be a huge step up. Whether or not it's a K-3 replacement depends on your shooing style, but, it could be, depending on what you are looking for. If you don't shoot small birds and other wild life, it's quite possible you don't even care about those first two, and in which case, it's an improvement over a K-3 with no drawbacks.
01-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #176
Veteran Member

The Facebook post from Ricoh is heartening. I can't believe the company is saying this is its best dedicated APS-C offering going forward. If that's the case, maybe it's time to begin phasing out my Pentax gear. But there's no reason to panic. Let's see what happens between now and the end of the year. One thing is for sure: I have no need for a full-frame camera, so no K-1 for me. I got out of full frame over a decade ago and have no reason to lug around that kind of gear again.
01-26-2017, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #177
Pentaxian

Well, every time a lower-end Pentax model appears, some people are afraid there would be no further flagship. And every time a higher-end Pentax model appears, some people are concerned about the low-end being abandoned. Of course, neither is happening.
Don't worry. Ricoh has a plan.
01-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well, every time a lower-end Pentax model appears, some people are afraid there would be no further flagship. And every time a higher-end Pentax model appears, some people are concerned about the low-end being abandoned. Of course, neither is happening.
That is so true.
01-26-2017, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That is so true.
But this time Pentax product pages and at least one online shop claimed it is the successor to the K3 II, and they told the press the same thing
01-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #180
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Some of us prefer "clunky" and "massive" camera bodies as they grip better for bigger hands.
According to dpreview (Hands-on with Ricoh's compact Pentax KP: Digital Photography Review) the grips can be changed for larger or smaller ones. Now that is clever.

(missed other posts that mentioned this already... apologies)

Last edited by MSL; 01-26-2017 at 09:53 AM.